• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Incoroprating dtilt and different approaches into playstyle

Hipstarr

Smash Rookie
So I'm a newbie Marth main and I've noticed that the only moves I approach with are nair, fair and grab. Nair and fair are really predictable for my opponents and I always get mad at myself for using them. I've been trying to incoroprate dtilt but I can never find the right time to use it. Any help with situations to use that in, as well as other good approaches? Thanks.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
If you wanna dtilt, your best bet will be to use it out of some crispy movement. Run cancel dtilt or WD (out of DD) dtilt are both super useful tools, but you've gotta make sure you understand how early the IASA frame is on the dtilt. If you whiff because it hit their shield, initiate your dash and go in with a JC grab because a lot of players don't understand OoS options too well. Nair as an approach is a really bad idea, but fair can work just fine provided you don't commit to it. If you're in close quarters with your opponent and have a barely approaching, in-place, or fading fair, you're in good shape, though. Fair, dtilt, and grab should be your three main neutral tools besides super crispy movement.

Also, try to play without the other tools you use in the neutral and just use dtilt for a bit in an attempt to feel out when it is and isn't a good idea.

Hipstarr

Smash Rookie
If you wanna dtilt, your best bet will be to use it out of some crispy movement. Run cancel dtilt or WD (out of DD) dtilt are both super useful tools, but you've gotta make sure you understand how early the IASA frame is on the dtilt. If you whiff because it hit their shield, initiate your dash and go in with a JC grab because a lot of players don't understand OoS options too well. Nair as an approach is a really bad idea, but fair can work just fine provided you don't commit to it. If you're in close quarters with your opponent and have a barely approaching, in-place, or fading fair, you're in good shape, though. Fair, dtilt, and grab should be your three main neutral tools besides super crispy movement.

Also, try to play without the other tools you use in the neutral and just use dtilt for a bit in an attempt to feel out when it is and isn't a good idea.
Okay sounds good, I'll make sure to practice with just dtilt for awhile.

Top Bottom