• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inclusion of the choice between English, Japanese and other languages dubbings

D

Deleted member

As you know, there are differences concerning characters' voices between Western and Japanese versions of a game.
And usually, a game which comes from Japan is dubbed in English for Western audiences.

However, this tradition seems to be more and more over, resulting of an increasing number of games which benefit of both dubbings for almost every countries (Xenoblade for example).

That conducts to the subject of this topic. Each episode of Super Smash Bros. has dubbings based of the countries where it is on sales.

But with what I said previously, do you think we could have the choice between English and Japanese (even also European languages like French and German) dubbings in Smash Bros. 4 ?

For examples, watch those videos from Japanese and English versions of Melee and Brawl :

[COLLAPSE="Melee's Voices"]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Brawl's Voices"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I personnally think it would be a cool addition, like in games such like Xenoblade.

Unfortunately, I also think it won't be included on the game's disk (maybe as a DLC) because of the many languages used in Smash Bros. for characters, especially Poke Ball Pokemons, and the big time consuming it would causes to the game's development.

Your thoughts ?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not really necessary. But if they provide an option to change language to japanese like in the NTSC version of Melee, it would be pretty neat.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd be fine with the option. Games like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter do this all the time. But it'd a bit strange hearing someone like Mario speak in Japanese. Given that(if I'm not mistaken that is)Charles Martinet does both bros. voices in English, worldwide. But it's still possible.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd be fine with the option. Games like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter do this all the time. But it'd a bit strange hearing someone like Mario speak in Japanese. Given that(if I'm not mistaken that is)Charles Martinet does both bros. voices in English, worldwide. But it's still possible.
Mario speaks in gibberish. And some catch-phrases like "Lets-a-go" and all that. But iirc he makes just makes generic shouts and grunts in the smash games.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mario speaks in gibberish. And some catch-phrases like "Lets-a-go" and all that. But iirc he makes just makes generic shouts and grunts in the smash games.
True. He does. It'd be cool if Mario and Luigi talked like they do in the M&L series. Just for stuff like taunts and whatnot.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, Smash Bros. Melee (NTSC only) and Fire Emblem: Awakening have this option, while Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising don't, meaning that Nintendo isn't consistent with having Japanese dialogue option.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I wouldn't be against something like what the new Capcom fighters have, with being able to swap voice language for whatever characters you want, with the default being their voices from the other games, so Mario default to English, Marth to Japanese, etc.
Probably wouldn't use it myself though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wouldn't be against something like what the new Capcom fighters have, with being able to swap voice language for whatever characters you want, with the default being their voices from the other games, so Mario default to English, Marth to Japanese, etc.
Probably wouldn't use it myself though.
It wouldn't be a bad idea, honestly. Say, if you liked character A's JP voice, but liked character B's EN voice better, you could have both characters having your favorite voices.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
It wouldn't be a bad idea, honestly. Say, if you liked character A's JP voice, but liked character B's EN voice better, you could have both characters having your favorite voices.
Exactly.
It's definitely not a necessary feature though.

D

Deleted member

It's definitely not a necessary feature though.
But still a pretty cool one.

Making this topic, I was thinking about Marth's case.

With the international release of the post-Brawl game Shadow Dragon on the DS (the remake of the first Fire Emblem), I was wondering if Marth will keep his japanese voice in the next Smash...

And you?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, Smash Bros. Melee (NTSC only) and Fire Emblem: Awakening have this option, while Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus: Uprising don't, meaning that Nintendo isn't consistent with having Japanese dialogue option.
If anything, Melee was an odd case. Awakening also came out after Uprising so it might be considered in future games as well. I didn't know Awakening had that option though, that's good to know. Is it on a character by character choice like in Capcom fighters or is it one or the other?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If anything, Melee was an odd case. Awakening also came out after Uprising so it might be considered in future games as well. I didn't know Awakening had that option though, that's good to know. Is it on a character by character choice like in Capcom fighters or is it one or the other?
I think you can choose JP/EN voices for combat and cutscenes separately. I'm not sure, as I never played Awakening.

All I know is from what some people said in Serenes Forest and watching some videos on YouTube.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
really it comes down to how many characters have different VAs. Because with the exception of Ike, the Pokes(sans Pikachu), Pit, Snake, the Spacies, and Sonic, everyone spoke the same language worldwide. if only 1/4th or even 1/3rd have different dubs, there may not be a point to add it.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Japanese/English Dub Comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYQx0SvVOI

European Dub Comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNK6r5-_NNM

English dubs usually maintain the same level of quality as the original Japanese dubs.
Gotta say I'm a fan of the German dub in Brawl. If they have a global release for Smash Bros. 4, They really should include a menu that let's you select which dub you prefer.
It's also interesting to see what the characters are called in other languages, Especially the Pokemon.

Many games changed the text language if you changed your region in the console menu. But selecting a language from a console menu is a pain. All games should have the language menu in the game.

Top Bottom