• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In the most extreme circumstances; The future of Brawl

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
So as an attempt to avoid writing my paper and with ideas flowing in my head as I try to read the mush that is twitch chat I wanted to talk about the future state of brawl. As a melee player, I don't have much technical knowledge of the game anymore nor can I speak for the community as a whole. This is meant to be an observation from the outside looking in with an objective in mind, the future of brawl. I don't personally like playing brawl, but I know my preferences aren't fact and I know I would feel devastated if the game I played was just gone when a sequel came out. I'm writing this as an attempt to see what everyone else things about the future of the game and my own two cents about how I think I could see brawl being in the future. I know that this might currently be a taboo topic and if I'm out of line in creating a thread like this, I am sorry, but its a discussion I kind of want to have.

I have been trying my best to learn about the current rumblings in the community and have found a few things that seem to be the topic of debate amongst people
A) Will Brawl Die when Smash4 comes out?
B) What can we do to keep Brawl alive?

For the first topic, I personally, as I'm sure many of you, do not want the game to die. I seem to be in the majority despite a vocal minority saying otherwise. I don't play this game but as stated previously, why should something someone love be gone in a flash? I don't think thats right and I honestly think brawl can have a future, which is something that has been the topic of discussion as of late. Many people have been discussing the 1 stock 4 minute option with mixed feedback. I will not dive into the topic because I am not educated enough to be amazing any claims about it so I will reserve my opinion on that. There are already a ton of experts on the topic and to try and give an uneducated opinion would be degrading the amount of work people but into the game. I personally think its a cool idea, but what do I know? My only claim regarding the matter is just one of observation. Personally I think trying to change such a huge part of the game is only going to be met with backlash and a split community. The last thing I think a community who is worried about dying wants to do is split their community.

My recommendation going forward is going to be controversial and one already spoken about at length but I want to contribute my two cents because I believe brawl is a game worth keeping. I honestly think with the arrival of Smash 4, brawl should completely get rid of singles. Now I understand that this might be a huge thing, but I think its the best shot the game has for the future. With singles being so controversial, a doubles only format would do wonders for the game. It would fill a very specific niche in the fighting game world, a team only fighting game. Brawl doubles has been widely regarded amongst the community as an extremely good metagame and the best part is, nothing would have to change in regards to rules. There is already a metaknight limit and the problems that plague the spectator value of the game are curbed by the fact that there are 4 characters on screen at once. There is no set in stone rule that there has to be solely singles and while it does make it a bit more complicated to play as it involves teams, it sort of becomes like a DOTA or a LoL in the sense where teams have to be strategically built. Again, not being a member of the community may immediately get me a lot of backlash, but as someone who really wants this game to survive, I think doubles over any other format is best for the future in my eyes. It's fun and it is the ideal pace. It's the like melee doubles where is it extremely hard to pay attention to a game, but at the same time, it is not solely neutral game and lead maintenance that singles brings to the table. By nature it limits to power of ice climbers and metaknight as well as provides a unique experience that can be found only in brawl. While melee has singles to be proud of, doubles is often looked at as an afterthought when it comes to viewing, so perhaps brawl can be the doubles game of choice.

Maybe I'm just spouting empty words, but I think brawl doubles has the best shot of reviving the game like everyone wants it to. I know even the most elitist of melee players I know like brawl doubles from a spectator standpoint. I understand that to a lot of you, viewership isn't everything, but at the end of the day, its what keeps a community alive, it brings in new players, it brings in more sponsors. I want brawl to survive and if there was a big push for doubles being the main meta, I feel it could bring a golden age to the game. Again, I'm not a brawl player, but as a viewer I think doubles has the chance to make it big. Don't let traditions completely stifle one of best showcases of brawl's mechanics. I'm not trying to post this as an end all be all, I'm saying it as a potential solution to a problem that this community seems to be facing. I'm not trying to come in here and say "I have the solution" I merely want to state an opinion I think is widespread enough to get some traction.

Thanks for your time, feel free to completely trash me in the comments because I know its coming, I just wanted to get some thoughts out there.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I didn't expect to see this here. Hm.

On topic: I like the idea of a more doubles-oriented Brawl, though I'm not a member of the community either. I've always wondered why doubles seemed more like a side event in Brawl, even though I suck at it lol. I'm not sure if it would help the popularity or not, but I like it regardless.

Thor

Smash Champion
Maybe try to get Brawl doubles into events over Brawl singles, and sacrifice Brawl singles to promote Brawl doubles, but eliminating it at once is unnecessary, and also detrimental to those who have access to Brawl singles currently and don't have partners or prefer singles.

I could say more but I'll say this: I think you're right that Brawl doubles is generally considered more spectator-friendly, so pushing doubles as Brawl's main thing for things like trying to get it into Evo or other big-name tournaments is a good idea. But I'd hate to see Apex or other big Brawl tournaments like WHOBO axe Brawl singles. I'd rather not jump ship on Brawl singles just yet.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Maybe try to get Brawl doubles into events over Brawl singles, and sacrifice Brawl singles to promote Brawl doubles, but eliminating it at once is unnecessary, and also detrimental to those who have access to Brawl singles currently and don't have partners or prefer singles.

I could say more but I'll say this: I think you're right that Brawl doubles is generally considered more spectator-friendly, so pushing doubles as Brawl's main thing for things like trying to get it into Evo or other big-name tournaments is a good idea. But I'd hate to see Apex or other big Brawl tournaments like WHOBO axe Brawl singles. I'd rather not jump ship on Brawl singles just yet.
I completely agree. I think that as long as there is time, keep playing singles, but that's where the title comes in: "in the most extreme circumstances." I understand the partner thing, especially with crap online, but I think it can be a viable option in the long run to ensure that at least brawl has an event everywhere. I mean apex is always going to try and run every smash game, I'm speaking long term for other tournaments if we start including smash 4 into the roster. I don't want brawl to be shafted and doubles is what I think is the best shot of staying relevant, I could even argue, as a melee player, brawl doubles is better than melee doubles as the chaos is kept to a minimum, it's easier to watch. It's a much more synergetic match than I feel melee doubles is because of the lack of hitstun, it highlights brawls features in a positive way.

Top Bottom