• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IN DETAIL Match Up Analysis : Robin V Pit

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Hey~ I'm Kibzu and I main Pit. Recently I've been thinking to go around and create in detail analysis' on match ups that are un-common for Pit at least. Starting with one I feel I have knowledge in, Robin. For this time around, I will be going through what you want to do as Robin and what the Pit is aiming for.
Going through the many sections of a match Eg. The Neutral, Punishing game, Killing options and more.

So Lets Begin!
PS. I won't go into details about Dark Pit but most things apply.
The Neutral

Pit as a character in my opinion has a similar aim to meta-knight in a sense, Pit players will dash in and out waiting to find a grab or a dash attack as that's where he benefits from. Although Pit does have few more options in the neutral than metaknight. As Robin, you don't want to be standing still or charging your Neutral B in the open, waiting till you have stage positioning is key as Pits dash speed can make him up in your face within seconds if you do it randomly.

With Pits dashing in and out, you want a way to stop his approach options. Robins Side B is a perfect way to prevent Pit from getting into you as he is approaching. Pit here has only a few options;
- To respect the Side B and retreat, resetting the neutral and waiting to dash in again.
- Jump over the the Side B which puts him in a horrible position against Robin.
- Retreat and curve an arrow over the flame towards you or straight through after the Side B has ended.

By using Side B, This gives you some time to actually charge the Neutral B. Other than this, you get positioning and you are ready to once again counter his approach. If the Pit player does choose to jump over, you can shield > wait for his reaction/aerial on block > punish with a jab/grab.
In this match up, Pit will only fire arrows at a distance to disrupt the charging of your Neutral B or to apply small pressure.
Overall, your aim is to at lower percents, Hit Pit up into the air to consistently punish his landings. UAir does a good job at at this, although Pit has 3 aerial jumps, he still struggles to land with a limit of options. To do so, jab/down throw can get the job done.
At higher percents you want Pit to be offstage. (Will Be Explained Later!)

What you want to avoid

Pits grab is crucial to avoid, other then kill percents, you want to DI up and away when you get grabbed. This prevents Pits most damaging combo - Fthrow > Dash Atk > Up Smash. Although you still have the true Dthrow > Up smash to deal with which is true till about 25% or so. After that, the Pit player will most likely go for down throw UAir which puts you in a bad position as Pit is literally A GOD at punishing landings, His UAir is basically an umbrella which you have to avoid. Sometimes it even catches air dodges. Apart from that, He has a frame 6 Up Smash which has a huge but sometimes buggy hitbox. Respect it. His dash attack can catch you if you're landing far away from Pit. This is where Pit will rack up most of his damage. Apart from down throw, Pits may use Up Throw at 70% or so as Down Throw > UAir can be avoided and Up Throw does a good 11% + puts you into that position that you don't want to be in. Being Robin, it also seems you don't have much landing options. My tips are neutral B reverse/Jumping > Neutral B to slow down your landing/Jumping to avoid Uair/Up Smash last minute/Just going to the ledge.

Around 90+, you most likely will be thrown offstage due to your linear recover. Pit has arrows so be careful with your second jump + Dair/Bair are probs his strongest options offstage when edge-guarding you. Watch out for ledge trump BAir aswell! At about 120+ With rage, Fthrow at ledge kills, so you don't wanna be around there.

When next to each other, Pit will most likely Jab, Grab OR DAir/BAir out of shield. Respect it, Either stay in shield, avoid the grab or roll away (although don't continuously do so as it can become predictable.)

Pits Side B is a move a Pit player will rarely use. They will try catch you off guard to catch your jump or to go through an attack of yours due to super armour. Keep it in mind, But don't over respect Pit.

Your Aims

As I mentioned, You don't really want to approach Pit. I don't have THAT much knowledge of Robin but I'm pretty sure his/her approaches are dire due to run speed and such. Again, You want to counter Pits approach, Jab/Grab from shielding Dash Atk/Uptilts/Side B/Fair and such can do so. With Fair you can space Pit out whilst getting your bread and butter combos on him to rack up that percent. Once again, Punishing Pits landings is crucial, you have an amazing UAir too! Abuse it. Side B can also punish Pits landings if he jumps away just before he lands, Leading into your regular follow up. Use jab to also get percent up and afterwards, do your regular Neutral B charge as you would usually do as its an opening for it.

Punishing most attacks on shield as Robin, you just want to jab. Great percent and positioning.

Taking stocks as Robin should be pretty easy when VSing Pit. Again, Punishing landings is one way with UAir. Up Smash as well if they're landing above you. Although, You want Pit to be offstage. Its crucial. Pits Up B has no hitbox making it very fragile to edge guarding. You can get very simple FAirs/BAirs offstage to counter his angled Up B. Most Pits choose to go straight Up to the ledge from underneath the stage, If so, You can use Up B to spike him downwards or stage spike him. Other then that, you too have a STRONG Ledge trump BAir. Here's an example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQcPBEkpGXU. (Yes it was partially my fault for challenging him offstage again although Its over-exaggerated.)
Waiting there to FAir Pit is actually scary, Robins FAir is much stronger then Marths so taking stocks will actually be earlier. COUNT PITS JUMPS WHEN IN THE AIR AND OFF STAGE! Know when he is forced to just straight out Up B or when hes able to jump over you in some situations.

Stage Choice

Im not too sure what stages Robin benefits off of but I can comment on Pits side. AVOID BATTLEFIELD. Landing on this stage is 10x harder then landing on a regular stage as you're committing to one section of the stage allowing Pit to cover just that part. Pit over-all doesn't have a "Bad" Stage but his best IMO by far is Battlefield. Im guessing the best stage for Robin is either T+C or SmashVille? Quote me on that. T+C Because you can kill Pit quite early with UAir/Side B Combos although you may have to avoid Pits Up Smash more now (And Side B if you're afraid of that) and SmashVille because of the platform, allowing you to charge neutral B when its offstage? I would say, go where you're comfortable in this MU. The stage choice doesn't effect the MU too much apart from Battlefield.

Overall

I feel that Pit wins this match up either :4pit:60-40:4robinm::4robinf: Or :4pit:55-45:4robinm::4robinf:.

TLDR: Pit can get to into your space very easily and beats you in the neutral by far, This MU can allow him to get grabs easier then usual ALTHOUGH, Both characters body each other in the air and off stage.

Any questions? Feel free to ask below ^^.
Also correct me on anything, I could be wrong on some of this stuff ^^'

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
So...uhh...we have a matchup thread, you might want to use that.
I have no idea how this matchup goes, so... Wintropy Wintropy ?

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
So...uhh...we have a matchup thread, you might want to use that.
I have no idea how this matchup goes, so... Wintropy Wintropy ?
Yeee ^^, I know but I thought it was a bit bulkier and didnt want it to get buried with all the other discussion. ;-;

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Gotta disagree about Arcfire option select. At the range Robin can snag Pit in Arcfire for a followup is the range Pit can charge in with Dash Attack and clip Robin before the fireball can connect, leaving Robin exposed.

Arcfire is better used for reads, out of retreat, and to force an awkward landing spot for Pit due to his low air speed.

As for stages, I like T&C. I also like Lylat as the odd counterpick, since Pit's aerials' lack of an arc swing aside from Dair can have trouble connecting around the tight platforms and the tilting ship.

Last edited:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Gotta disagree about Arcfire option select. At the range Robin can snag Pit in Arcfire for a followup is the range Pit can charge in with Dash Attack and clip Robin before the fireball can connect, leaving Robin exposed.

Arcfire is better used for reads, out of retreat, and to force an awkward landing spot for Pit due to his low air speed.

As for stages, I like T&C. I also like Lylat as the odd counterpick, since Pit's aerials' lack of an arc swing aside from Dair can have trouble connecting around the tight platforms and the tilting ship.
Mhh, very true, I guess I should mention that It should be used at a certain distance rather then in general.

Yes yes, covering landings with Side B is really strong at covering an area.

As for lylat, I don't think Pits are use to that stage although its similar to battlefield. Depends on the player there I'd say.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Any speedy character with a reflect can shut down any Robin with forced ease(meaning if they don't think too hard on Robin's kit). While Pit's reflect has frames before the walls come out, the fact that it easily wards approaching opponents off just adds to the benefit. Robin is slow on ground, and needs his projectiles to rack up damage quickly, Pit easily counters that. Robin typically has to rely on mind games to gain a good enough advantage over his counters.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Actually, Pit mains really won't be using Orbitars that often considering it's a large commitment. While it is a factor, it really shouldn't be used as a point against Robin, considering if Pit uses it incorrectly he'll get punished for it hard.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Indeed. A dumb Pit/edgelord Pit using orbitars near Robin is likely going to be punished despite his ridiculous blocking box against an impatient opponent. It's guaranteed safety to use it from a distance when expecting a Thoron because Robin is too slow for the approach and punish.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
While I don't have a lot of experience in the match up itself, I feel it's in Pit's favor a bit.

Pit can keep throwing arrows at us if we try to charge into Thoron. Pit will also be able to go deep offstage and recover from far away so we won't be able to rely too much on our Nair gimps. We'll also have to watch out for the Pit going off stage to try to gimp us, or avoid any arrows getting us/our 2nd jump. I think Pit would win the neutral with his quicker mobility so I think the match up for Robin would be to keep the pressure on Pit and keep him on his toes. Try to keep the fight in the air and space out the Levin sword properly. Probably wouldn't use Arcthunder much and mainly use Elthunder and Thoron. Arcfire as others mentioned should be kept for traps and landings.

If I knew the match up better I'd be able to give more detail, but I don't have much experience against Pit.

Top Bottom