• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving Tech/Speed

ThreeDee

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone!
So I'm fairly new to melee (only been playing for a year or so) and have played falco since day 1. Despite me being somewhat new, I feel like at this time my tech should be better. My combo game is pretty good but I often am inconsistent even just doing a shorthop laser fastfall. I don't think it's a matter of speed, as my fingers have been pretty fast my entire life (guitar, other video games, etc.) I've watched a lot of tutorials and I still can barely wavedash. Any tips/past experiences that could help?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Practice, bro. You can watch every tutorial out there but not get any better if you don't physically work on it all. Put on a podcast or symphony or something and just work on a few things for a long time. Set goals and shoot for perfection. Practice doesn't make perfect, but it always makes better.

ThreeDee

Smash Rookie
Practice, bro. You can watch every tutorial out there but not get any better if you don't physically work on it all. Put on a podcast or symphony or something and just work on a few things for a long time. Set goals and shoot for perfection. Practice doesn't make perfect, but it always makes better.
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really make it as clear as I should have, but I do practice quite often. Although I usually just practice through actual matches and I'm wondering if I should start doing the old go-to-practice-mode-and-spam-the-same-move-until-it's-burned-into-my-brain kinda thing

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Yeah, I think that's the way to do it. As I see it, it's the same as practicing technique anywhere else. If you want to play this, you start by playing the first four notes slowly, then again, and again.... Personally, I played through Classic mode with all the characters, and in between rounds, I'd just move my thumb from Y to B and vice-versa as quickly and relaxed as I could. Over time, it just got easier. Since it's just tech skill, you can work on it whenever you want to. So yeah, practice mode spam is pretty darn useful.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really make it as clear as I should have, but I do practice quite often. Although I usually just practice through actual matches and I'm wondering if I should start doing the old go-to-practice-mode-and-spam-the-same-move-until-it's-burned-into-my-brain kinda thing
Friendlies =/= Practice. So the short answer is yes, you do that and your technique will start getting better immediately.
Have a second controller plugged in so you're free to run around the stage w/out a cpu bothering you. And spam. Not too long at a time, 30min is fine, what matters is grinding every day if possible.

Here's a list of all drills for falco, to get solid techskill and have all the keys to deal with this game. Wrote it just the other day, I thought you might be interested. http://smashboards.com/posts/21192392/

ThreeDee

Smash Rookie
Friendlies =/= Practice. So the short answer is yes, you do that and your technique will start getting better immediately.
Have a second controller plugged in so you're free to run around the stage w/out a cpu bothering you. And spam. Not too long at a time, 30min is fine, what matters is grinding every day if possible.

Here's a list of all drills for falco, to get solid techskill and have all the keys to deal with this game. Wrote it just the other day, I thought you might be interested. http://smashboards.com/posts/21192392/
Alright thanks man

EasilyDistracted54

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2363-5722-4046
Play alot of matches with people, and focus on incorporating more tech, and making solid plays, focus less on the outcome of the match. Also grinding everyday for a set period of time can be beneficial.

Ramnikia

Smash Rookie
This. When you practice too, you don't want to just try to spam tech skill. Try to pinpoint something you think is weak and focus on that for a while. I spent about an hour once when I first picked up Falco just wavedashing across FD. It took me a good while before I could actually wavedash at all, and it still looked choppy after, but it was definitely better than when I started. Sure, it can be boring, but it's really just a grind to get consistent with your tech. It takes a lot of time and patience to get amazing consistency.

Barry BlaZe

Smash Cadet
Being deliberate can be super helpful. Some mornings I wake up and turn on my Gamecube and I just practice movement alone like dash dancing around, mixing in wavedash back wavedash down in the middle of my dash dances. Sometimes I work on lasers, platform movement etc. You should practice shine then wavedash out of shine as thats super important tech skill to have burned into ur muscle memory.

Next time u have some time try just shining the cpu and then wave dashing out of it over and over. Simple things like that but be deliberate! This can be a drill of sorts to help u build some tech skill foundation. Overtime you can develop more drills according to the techniques you want to learn and overtime you will develop layers upon layers of techniques you can use that u have practiced!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom