• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving Replays

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
In Brawl, you could save your matches as replays. However, there were some flaws.

1) Replays had to be shorter than 3 mins in order to be saved.
2) It did not show names when they were saved.

(Without cheats of course :p)

In SSB4, I think there shouldn't be a time limit for replays and it should also show names. I'd like it if you could go back and forward when you do watch a replay. I would also like it if you could give the replay a title as well. :p

Suggestions/comments?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Have them actually be videos. (JK, I know this would be basically impossible)

Seriously, though, let replays be more than 3 minutes long.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How about an input display option or the ability to fast forward or rewind matches?

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The thing is about recording only matches that are less than three minutes is that a lot of the time interesting matches, and five stock matches won't be record-able unless it involves someone running a train on the other person (which is good to record, yes, but not the point). Otherwise, it is left to brief time matches and few-stock brawls.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The replay data is just coding designed to replicate what the match contained, so they're not truly videos.

For Smash 4, replay data should be actual .mp4 files, and they should be up to 10 minutes long.

Of course, there is the file size issue to take into account, especially if Smash 4 doesn't support SDHC cards.

NickSF93

Smash Cadet
Maybe (since other games are doing it now) a sort of uploading service can be available.
That'd be boss.

If not i would be happy with a replay system where there isnt a set time cap, cause cmon.

...thats why.

There is not much to change with replays. I have no idea why the limit was 3 minutes and not longer. Its not like 5-6 minutes takes up too much room. I think like 70 kilobytes. Hardly anything at all compared to how much space can be stored on an SD card.

And other than the tag change, this is really all you would ever need. I guess the ability to better move around while observing the replay would be nice. Like any replay device on any game these days you can change the camera around and rewind/fast forward when you want. Getting up to date would be nice.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Definitely make the replays longer, I thought it was dumb that they only went up to 3 minutes. Also, definitely have tags show up, I doubt it would be hard to put into the game, especially now that it's on the Wii U so their should be no excuse.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
What noones even suggested slowing down replays? Cuz i wanna see every frame of someof the fights I've recorded :/

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
More than 3 minutes (at least 10)
Speed up and slow down
Rewind/Fast forward
Frame-by-frame
Replays of solo modes like Classic, All Star and Adventure
Melee Snapshot-like zoom and angles

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Some sort of upload service.
Perhaps the option to save replays as simple input scripts like in Brawl or rendered video files.
Basic editing abilities (trimming, maybe titles)

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
As much as I hate Call of Duty, I think an idea loosely based on their Theatre Mode is a good idea.
Or a replay mode similar to FIFA's, except this menu is used during a saved replay, not during a live match.
Of course, they could always do it in the style of WWE which enables us to add a few edits, crops, zooms, etc, and also save it as a video file and directly upload it to YouTube (or Facebook).

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
A good addition would be to mash up a lot of replays you took and add music so it would be like you mad your own trailer

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The 10-minute limit is pretty ideal, seeing as in almost all cases, the set time limit for a Smash Bros. match in tournaments tend to be at around or less than that time. Keeping name tags can also help greatly too. Yes, saving the replays as actual .mp4 files can be an issue with spacing, but what they can do is save the replay the way they did in Brawl, add the improvements (extended time, name tags kept, slow down/speed up options, etc.), and have an option to save the footage as a .mp4 file. Hell, if Dissidia Final Fantasy and Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy can do it (and those were on handhelds), then Smash 4, being on the Wii U, should have zero trouble with replicating Dissidia's replay system.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Replays should be allowed in classic and all-star mode, as well as event matches. Really, they should be allowed for single player in general.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
More than 3 minutes (at least 10)
Speed up and slow down
Rewind/Fast forward
Frame-by-frame
Replays of solo modes like Classic, All Star and Adventure
Melee Snapshot-like zoom and angles
"YOUR REPUTATION LEVEL HAS GONE UP!!!" :laugh:

No but for real, I agree with this. You should be able to save replay, have the ability to edit your replays to show them from multiple camera angles, music, and play parts faster or slower than what they appeared, replays should be however long as you want them to be while fitting on your SD card/USB port/hard drive, and the ability to upload them to the internet (possibly a Smash WiiU and 3DS channel) easily.

Also, you should be able to save replays of all modes, so that way we could easily record world record attempts for single-player stuff. :awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Replays should be allowed in classic and all-star mode, as well as event matches. Really, they should be allowed for single player in general.
Being able to do that could easily give us a reason to do speed runs. You could submit a speed run through All-Star Mode, so that other players can see how you did.

But obviously, there will be flaws with the idea if the videos can only be up to 10 minutes long.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would be nice to have the ability to save replays that are more than three minutes long and with Nintendo stating that you're just going to be able to plug an external hard drive into the system through usb and use it space shouldn't be a problem. So we should be able to save replays of any length but if there was a limit that has to be incorporated 10 minutes is more than enough I can't really think of to many matches that will last longer than that.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
The worst part about the Replay Mode in Brawl is definitely the fact that you can't name your replays, making it impossible to organize your replays and actually tell them apart!

I would like to see some new improvements that can enable a better structure among the replay data. Maybe by adding folders or something similar.

Furthermore, I would like to see the player tags. Sometimes, when I watch some old replays from Brawl, I have no clue who I am battling.

A neat feature would be the option to display input data, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Top Bottom