• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving my Pikachu

Simmons

Smash Cadet
I've noticed I have these problems when in a match:

- I seem to give up center stage easily, and I can't seem to retake it very easily.

- My opponents learn to stuff my approaches after 2-3 games, particularly with Marth/Sheik fair, Peach nair, or Spacies bair.

- I seem to "forget" how to perform tech skill I'd been practicing in the lab minutes before.

What I need to improve:

- How do I practice approaching at different angles, and likewise how do I practice faking an approach?

- How do I implement certain tech skills into friendlies? How do I learn to perform mixups? Do I just go into the game focusing only on implementing one thing into my gameplay?

- What do you guys do to keep calm during a match?

If anyone could help me out with these problems I'd really appreciate it. I should be getting videos of me playing soon, so I'll post that in the Ask About Pikachu thread.

Last edited:

soju

SD God
Answers in order
-in friendlies practice stage control, I like to do this with pikachu by getting a back throw off the ledge and letting them recover then do your best to keep them there, make a pika wall essentially. That's a good way to learn how to get better at staying your ground, for gaining stage control try reversing the situation where your back is by the ledge and do your best to get back to middle stage :).

-that means you have to mix up your approaches with fake approaches, more ground options, and forcing them to approach you. Learn their rhythm and see what works best for you

-keeping things is all about constantly practicing them in friendlies, look at mangos advice list, just keep grinding it out or else you have to relearn it again

-I use to do this by trying to dash dance as close as I can to someone before they try attacking to Gauge the players "aggressive" range after finding that out I weave in and out of it and wait for them to attack. Now I practice with a metronome and force who I'm playing to play at the rhythm I'm at :) it sounds weird but I think it helps

-practice practice practice, keep on doing it in friendlies till it becomes a habit

-there's many ways to keep calm, some people use music, some people need to take a deep breath, knowing your opponent is flustered is a good way, but even with all of that you ultimately just need tournament experience

Top Bottom