• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improved L-canceling AI

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Since the recent version releases, the AI was made a little better by adding wavedashing, fixed recoveries, etc. I noticed that while they did these were implemented, L-canceling was also added to the programming. The only problem was that not everyone would L-cancel. So I corrected this for the most part. They don't always L-cancel, but they do it often enough to warrant as "improved." Think of the video below as a pseudo-combo video.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Does this happen to have CPU Marth's recovery improved as well? They did it for Mario to be able to use his side-b to recover... Not sure why they wouldn't have done it to Marth as well. Makes facing CPU Marth's quite disappointing heheh.

Edit: Oh and I downloaded the holy **** out of this btw.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
did you just change the .GCT? or did you have to change every character's .pac file?

If you havent already, could you add the no player tags code to the .GCT?

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
@Amazerommu
The Mario using Side-B to recover was always there. Although, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do (though it would take a while to figure out). The only thing that I did do outside of L-canceling is have Marth make full use of his Dancing Blade rather than spamming the first hit.

@Murio
They never used codes to change the AI; they changed the AI within the character files. So I did the exact same and simply changed the character files.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
@Amazerommu
The Mario using Side-B to recover was always there. Although I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do (though it would take a while to figure out). The only thing that I did do outside of L-canceling is have Marth make full use of his Dancing Blade rather than spamming the first hit.

@Murio
They never used codes to change the AI; they changed the AI within the character files. So I did the exact same and simply changed the character files.
cool, i finally have time to check this out.

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Nice. Did you only fix L-canceling, or did you also tweak other things as well, like AI teching?
Yeah for general AI, I just fixed L-canceling and fast fall many aerials. I'm trying to fix teching but it's really hard to find that line of code.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Sweet, are these the stock PM recolors? or would it be possible to integrate project maritime, minty, and mars into the download?

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
My God, this is amazing. Are there any side effects of it? I can imagine random air dodges being a problem, but I honestly have no clue how coding works.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The next biggest thing to fix would be making sure it's not so easy to bait air dodges out of them or at all.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Unrelated, where'd you get that WarioWare texture? I want it haha

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
The next biggest thing to fix would be making sure it's not so easy to bait air dodges out of them or at all.
That is seriously one of the biggest problems I have... All you have to do is literally stand next to the edge when they're trying to recover and they air dodge to death...

Sweet, are these the stock PM recolors? or would it be possible to integrate project maritime, minty, and mars into the download?
The only things edited are the FitMotion.pacs so all other texture mods should work just fine with this.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
That is seriously one of the biggest problems I have... All you have to do is literally stand next to the edge when they're trying to recover and they air dodge to death...

The only things edited are the FitMotion.pacs so all other texture mods should work just fine with this.
sweet thanks

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
My God, this is amazing. Are there any side effects of it? I can imagine random air dodges being a problem, but I honestly have no clue how coding works.
Don't worry, they will only attempt to L-cancel during their aerials, never after.

Unrelated, where'd you get that WarioWare texture? I want it haha
I made it myself. ^__^ I might upload at some point it if I'm not to lazy.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
am I missing something obvious? The download only has each characters FitMotionEtc.pac Its missing the PM FitMotion.pac for every character.

so If i put your private folder on my SD card it has PM move animations but vanilla Brawl everything else: hit boxes, sound effects, input lag, slow running, no dash dancing ect.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The AI is in the FitMotionEtc.pac file. You'll need to move them into each folder manually.

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
What does the PMBR think of this?
Dunno. ¯\(o_0)/¯

am I missing something obvious? The download only has each characters FitMotionEtc.pac Its missing the PM FitMotion.pac for every character.

so If i put your private folder on my SD card it has PM move animations but vanilla Brawl everything else: hit boxes, sound effects, input lag, slow running, no dash dancing ect.
There was no point in including any of the other P:M files since this is to assume that everyone who downloads this already has P:M. Also, Gamedominator was a little incorrect: you could've just copied the "private" folder onto your SD card and it would have overwritten all of the necessary files. This is why I put a Read Me in there guys! Not like any one reads them anymore, though.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Dunno. ¯\(o_0)/¯

There was no point in including any of the other P:M files since this is to assume that everyone who downloads this already has P:M. Also, Gamedominator was a little incorrect: you could've just copied the "private" folder onto your SD card and it would have overwritten all of the necessary files. This is why I put a Read Me in there guys! Not like any one reads them anymore, though.
hah i read the read me....that only works in windows though, OSX would have replaced the fighter folder on my SD card with yours. Thats why I figured you would include the other PM files with your download so everyone could have a lil drag and drop action.

not complaining, just making you aware.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
I don't know how to say this without sounding like a douche, so don't take this the wrong way.

Everything you did was an easy fix...
In fact if i didn't **** up for the 2.5 release everyone would already be doing what you've done.
Except Squirtle, Wario, and anyone else didn't have an AiCe, if you got them l-canceling that an +1 to you.

I went over everything you did, and could point everything you change, like the simple fact that you really only deleted 1 line of code for marth to use his side-b correctly. Another +1

I'm hoping this wasn't a one time thing, and you'll keep learning. If you want to discuss more about Ai, or just have questions just PM me. i will gladly help you anyway i can.

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Oh, so it wasn't an oversight and just bad timing? And in a sense, I just did the work for you. Well, I really don't see anything wrong with it so long as there's progress.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
****, who cares who did what? You guys should collaborate! If it's two people doing AI stuff that's better than one right?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
****, who cares who did what? You guys should collaborate! If it's two people doing AI stuff that's better than one right?
^ Yes plz. I definitely wanna see Marth with better AI recovery, as well as others like Pikachu and Ness and Lucas. Not sure how difficult that would be though.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
Wario's AI has the worst recovery ever, due to using his shoulder bash as a recovery only, or was rarely ever used in combat by an AI. Will this also be changed along with Marth having a better recovery?

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, recoveries is the next thing I want to work on. I'm gonna guess that that the PMBR has already done some or at least is working on it but I don't really care. Doing these personally may seem like a wasted effort because of that, but I prefer results sooner than later.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's probably not their top priority so anything you can contribute will likely help the cause. Plus, we probably won't see official AI updates until 3.0 so there's the benefit of providing major improvements long before then.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Besides Dantarion and Magus rarely chipping in for AI, it's not the PMBR more so as just KingClubber. You working apart from him could work out beneficial I suppose, like a different approach to things with a divided company, but working together like MC Darrison was trying to ****ing tell you could also be good. I also thought you were him at first since you have a tails icon which he has on smashmods

uhhh.. smashmods is dead.. MY POSTS! NOO
http://www.smashmods.com/
GHNeko is gonna fix it*

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
The only time I found the CPU helpful is this:

Final Destination vs. Bowser (Level 9 CPU). Before you land a single hit, SD 3 times (or set your stock count to 1 in the stock control area). Win the match against Bowser using only one stock.

This teaches you the importance of valuing not getting hit over getting in that one extra hit each trade-off. Bowser wins every trade he is in, he hit's hard, and he takes up a large portion of the stage.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Yeah Bowser is pretty ridiculous. That's actually something I think I'm gonna try, although I usually dunk on Bowser hardcore lol. Haven't played against a CPU Bowser since I installed this though so he may have become a turbo turtle...

Kati

Smash Lord
Mario sd'd three times in a row, but he did wall jump out of his recovery...

Cool stuff.

edit*

Marth was showing off his dancing blade skills quite a bit too. Neato.

*very late edit*

I realized that I had set my default cpu levels to 7, and so I haven't done any testing with level 9's.

Top Bottom