• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Implementing Dash Dance

Valkyrie8492

Smash Rookie
Hi. So since starting playing Sheik I've found all kinds of ways to use the various movement techniques: wavedashing, cactuar dashes, platform wavelands, etc. but I've never seen much purpose or many ways to use dash dancing/foxtrotting. Is this something I should be working towards? I see a lot of top level Sheiks use it well but I'm not at the level where I can consistently find use for it. When I do dash dance, I find myself unable to put the same pressure as someone like Fox/Marth/Falcon can and I usually end up just getting hit out of it. Any tips or examples of how I can use this? Should I bother using it at all if I'm unconfortable with it? Any advice is appreciated...

pooodge

Smash Rookie
In my opinion (which definitely could be wrong), sheiks dash dance is bad and not really useable in the same way as that of marth/fox/falcon. With their long dash dance those characters can simultaneously put pressure on an opponent and remain relatively safe from counterattacks. Long dash dances are good mind games because it makes it difficult for your opponent to know exactly where you are, or exactly where you are going to be. With sheik, however, dash dancing can only cover a small area, and isn't much different than standing still. I always feel that by dash dancing I limit my defensive options (can't ftilt easily), and also that I don't confuse or intimidate my opponent much because the dash dance is so short. Most characters can hit sheik out of her dash dance easily with something like running nair.
Therefore I believe dash dancing, at least the way it is used by marth/fox/falcon, is useless or even harmful to sheik's neutral game. However, it definitely still has its applications. Using a single dash dance to evade an attack and grab/dash attack your opponent is definitely super good. Dashes can also be a great movement tool when combined with wavedashes. The wavedash, while slower and laggier than dashing, allows sheik to cover the extra ground that her dash dance cannot.
Dash dancing is also not a bad option when applying pressure to an opponent. If you have someone on the ground or in shield, dash dancing close to them can be a reliable way to bait out a spot dodge, roll, getup attack, or any other laggy and punishable option. It also has its uses in sheik's combo game.

I think incorporating pivots into sheiks dash dance has the potential to make it way more effective. Used defensively, a good dash dance could bait out an approach from your opponent. Without pivoting, you wouldn't have access to your main tools for stuffing an approach. However, dash back -> pivot f-tilt could be incredibly powerful if applied correctly. Depending on the situation, you could also pivot any tilt, a jab, or down smash. I feel like pivots could have the potential to make sheik's dash dance viable in the neutral game against most characters.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I find that DD is hard to use in neutral. I still got some tips for using it and not getting caught in it.
You want to have a list of options that you have out of the DD. My go-to option is WD.
Short bursts of DD that ends in a WD along with fox trotting and Run/Walk+WD back is what I use to occupy space.
Mixing that up with moving up and down platforms makes for a great sniper face, keeping you on your toes and evasive

I'll quickly describe fox trotting: Dash one direction, then let the stick go to neutral. Dash in the other direction, stick to neutral.
Should have a distinct, slower, click-clack sound/rythm to it, which is alot slower than DD and you can in fact slow it down as much as you want/need.

Last edited:

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
I find that DD is hard to use in neutral. I still got some tips for using it and not getting caught in it.
You want to have a list of options that you have out of the DD. My go-to option is WD.
Short bursts of DD that ends in a WD along with fox trotting and Run/Walk+WD back is what I use to occupy space.
Mixing that up with moving up and down platforms makes for a great sniper face, keeping you on your toes and evasive

I'll quickly describe fox trotting: Dash one direction, then let the stick go to neutral. Dash in the other direction, stick to neutral.
Should have a distinct, slower, click-clack sound/rythm to it, which is alot slower than DD and you can in fact slow it down as much as you want/need.
I agree with this post. run>WD back is a lot more viable in neutral because you are still facing the same way so you can ftilt and stand grab and stuff, which isn't as useful for someone like fox/falco, so that's why they DD rather than run>WD back. Also, they have better SHFFL aerial approaches.

But, DD still has its uses. It's a little faster than run>WD back, so if you're only looking to grab/DA, then it's a good technique. This is probably more useful when you're tech-chasing and need to dodge a get-up attack or something like that, but you could also DD to dodge something in neutral and then get your grab/DA.

Top Bottom