• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm writing a story and trying to make each chapter at least as long as 15 of the....

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
....pages you would find inside of a real novel. But I want to know, how would I judge that? Is Microsoft Word a good imitation of how long each page in a novel is? I would really appreciate any advice given. I'm not going to pour filler into a chapter or trim too much away just to fit in the limit of 15-30 chapters, but I do want to at least keep track of whether my chapters are too short or too long, so any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The way I've figured that out is by good old-fashioned counting. Take a novel, open to random pages, and count the number of words on the page. Take a rough average of about 10 pages with the same volume of words on them (like don't count half-pages at the end of a chapter, for example), and that's the target number of words you want per page when you write.

From my own notes:

The average novel has 400 words per page.

The average word-processed page in Microsoft Word has just under 600 words per page, single-spaced, and just over 300 words per page, double-spaced.

The average hand-written notebook page has between 200-300 words per page, depending on the size of the page.

From there, it's just a numbers game. If you want 15 novel pages, you would need 15 pages x 400 words per page, and that comes to 6,000 words per chapter. At just under 600 words per page, you would need a little more than ten Microsoft Word pages, single-spaced (or just under 20 pages, double-spaced) to equal 15 novel pages.

Of course, this is all rough estimates based on a a solidly-filled page, but it works pretty well to give you an idea.

Smash Journeyman
Write what you want to write. It doesn't matter how long it is as long as it tells a story and gets your message out.

ZeekeXIV

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to agree with 2001, Mano. Personally, I wouldn't (and don't) try to make my chapters any specified length. If you're not doing it already, outline the major points of the story: main characters, events, progression, etc. Through that, you should be able to break apart the story into decent-sized chapters. A good chapter is one that moves the story along, and sometimes, it might be shorter than 15 novel pages.

Dark_Kuro

Smash Rookie
I personally don't care about the length of each chapter or the story; some of the worlds greatest stories aren't that long at all. But if you really want to make them at least 15 pages long, I wouldn't rely on the pages in Word, since each page is the size of a sheet of printer paper, and most novel pages are a lot smaller than that.

Top Bottom