• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm working on developing a play style for Dedede

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
First off, I don't know if this style will be efficient or not. It's just something I was experimenting with and was getting positive results. But for all I know, it might be completely inferior to another style of dedede. But until that style is found, I figure I would share my thoughts with everyone here.

Also, it's still not perfect. This is another reason for posting here, to get everyone to maybe work together to develop this style even more.

Ok, now on to the fun stuff.

I've been working on developing a walling strategy with Dedede, which takes full advantage of his Waddle Dee spam and his tilts. My basic strategy is as follows:

1) Use Waddle Dees to pressure your opponent to come close while building up damage
2) As they get closer, use ftilt to rack up more damage. At this point, there are different options your opponent has
3)a) Your opponent will roll in front of you, in which you either grab or dtilt and send them flying away.
3)b) Your opponent jumps into you, in which you hit them with a utilt and send them flying up.
3)c) Your opponent rolls behind you, in which you grab and throw them away.
4) Repeat

The basic idea is to pressure your opponent until they come close, while continuously racking up percent. Then once they get to a high percent, just KO them. I haven't experimented with finding a definite way to KO someone yet (I would just spam bairs and stuff) because I was so focused on walling my opponent.

You can see kinda of what I mean in this match. I keep ftilting and dtilting the Squirtle to keep him away, then finally use utilt to kill at a high percentage.

Like I said in the beginning, this is all experimental (or beta, if you wish). This strategy might turn out ineffective in the long run.

Things I need to work on:
- Strategy against characters with faster projectiles (Pit)
- Strategy against characters with much faster speed (Sonic, Metaknight)

Feel free to give any kind of criticism or potential problems you see.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Holes I can think of with air dodge:

- Jumping into Dedede, Air dodging utilt, then punishing
- Approaching with air dodges

There's probably lots more, as this is still far from being an effective strategy. What I need people to do is find those holes and we can think of ways around them.

xDARKLINKx

Smash Ace
This is not a new play style it already has a name....camping.

Either way, i dont think this will ever be a legit way to get a ko, there are many ways to get around it, especially if theyre a samller faster character.

Sajun88

Smash Apprentice
Okay here is my opinion, though I haven't actually played Brawl yet:

Your strategy seems to work although it very closely resembles camping. Theres one problem with that. Dedede is a heavyweight character and as such is meant to be up close when trying to pressure the opponent. It's going to take alot to KO him, he has a good jump like Kirby and then a massive Up B jump but he doesn't look like he weighs as much as Bowser. Also it's somewhat of an odd strategy to attack from across the stage with slow moving arcing projectiles, more than half of them don't seem to hit and it's a very low chance of getting one of the spike ones. You should also abuse Dedede's chain grab, which is probably going to be the most popular playstyle with him. He has excellent grabs, but from what I've seen his foward smash is hard to connect so I doubt you'll be getting many kills with that. Most of the KOs I've seen are with the Down Smash and various air attacks.

But so far you're doing pretty good, most people completely suck with Dedede so atleast you have the basics.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
I like to switch up between something like this and rushing with bairs to keep my opponent on their toes.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Lol, it is camping, I just didn't include that in the description. I figured people would know.

I know there are going to be more effective strategies, this was just something I was playing around with for a while and wanted to share it with others.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
didn't know the term "camping" could apply in a fighting game.

Learn something new everyday.

Top Bottom