• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm trying to find a Secondary for Dedede

Birdpuncher

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! First time poster! I've been maining the king since Brawl. MY playstyle is very punish based. By that I mean yes, I am a Gordo spammer, but I am more reactive than approchive. (Approachive is not a word). By that I mean I will usually toss out a gordo (usually directed up) and then punish whatever reaction my opponent has. This has actually got me really great match-ups agaisnt pretty much any character not named Link, Zelda, Duck Hunt, Villager and Sonic.

I do concider myself a skilled player, not the best by any means, but skilled. As such, I know when I'm playing against skilled players so please dont tell me any Dedede can beat a Zelda or something like that because a skilled Zelda pretty much beats me every time haha! I want to find a secondary character that i LIKE playing as that can hit the majority of those troubling match-ups or at least have decent ratios.

Anyway, I play a lot of Game and Watch, Peach, DK and Duck Hunt but none of those seems to have favourable match-ups against the above. I know lots of Dedede players use Rob as a secondary but I just cant get behind him : (
Any advice?

P.S: If anybody is looking for friendly DDD playtesting, feel free to message me : )

Jiggy-Saw

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jigsaw107
Hey! The secondary I run for my D3 is actually Samus. I find since all of her projectiles cancel out ones of Villager/Link/ Ranged based characters she is a good swap. Also her style is easy to translate from D3 due to some of her combos being quite similar. Such as Down-grab to either Nair or Up-Air. Also I am down if you ever wana play sometime!

Birdpuncher

Smash Rookie
Samus is pretty cool! I see what you mean by the "plays similar to DDD" comment. Their aerials are very similar. I've actually taken to Yoshi a bit. He can really get into Link and Villagers faces with nice Egg tosses and he is hard to out maneuver in close quarters. What your friend code? Lets dance :)

Ive also been playing lots of Charizard but I don't think I should be maining two heavies haha

Last edited:

benprofane

Smash Rookie
Here lately if I'm running into serious trouble with Link, Villager, or Sonic, I switch to Greninja. D3 and G aren't very similar and I haven't practiced with G much beyond farting around for the last two weeks, but I really like him.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
I've also been trying to find a #2 main character who can match up well against the campy types DDD struggles with. Yeah if you face a skilled campy character like duck hunt or link it's pretty much game over for DDD.

I've been working on Villager because he seems to be similar to DDD in style. You play to stay back, keep your space and punish when they mess up. He doesn't have DDD's power but he's got a much better campy game. And his edgeguarding is even better.

He seems to counter the campy types well that DDD has trouble against with pocket, the tree and loyd rocket/slingshot. He also plays similar in that you have to play him a bit passively. He also has amazing recovery like DDD.

I'm going to see how he works out. Only problem is like DDD, Villager doesn't have a lot of good approach options. I really don't want to move to a super aggressive approach type like Shiek or Capt. Falcon but in my mind they're probably the best against campers because they can approach so quickly.

Last edited:

Birdpuncher

Smash Rookie
I actually played a bit of Greninja myself at first but I just found his approach options and lag time to be a bit underwhelming. Not that he isnt a great character in the right hands but I found myself screwing up A LOT with Greninja. And having a very hard time killing.

I swear villager has got to be one of the most prediction based characters in the game. His punishes are SO intense but I find that he really doesn't have ANY combo potential. Which is fine because thats not what we're looking for. I do think Villager has a great approach option with his slingshot. That is key. Of course, hitting duck hunt or link with it can be problematic but doable.

As for Yoshi, I've settled on him as my secondary right now. Yoshi is so. incredibly. good. Whats nice is that my main is low tier so I think I'be exercised my mind a lot in order to beat the tougher match ups. And since Yoshi is pretty high up on th tier list, I can really get a lot out of him with my DeDeDe mind tricks. Egg tossing diagonally down as you approach is such an incredible approach option and Yoshi can really get up in the faces of Duck Hunt and Palutena (another troublesome match-up for DDD IMO) Now my only issue is Sonic, he can be tough.

betaclay

I play bad games
I'm learning a Mario secondary. Mario isn't too tough to learn and he can deal with a lot of characters Dedede has trouble with, like Samus and Sonic.

Alotoaxolotls

Smash Cadet
NNID
alotoaxiolotls
3DS FC
3969-4797-0441
I use GnW as a secondary because his bucket can counter energy projectiles, and his d-tilt can counter physical projectiles. Plus his defensive style is very similar to D3's
Hammer Time!:smash:

benprofane

Smash Rookie
I use GnW as a secondary because his bucket can counter energy projectiles, and his d-tilt can counter physical projectiles. Plus his defensive style is very similar to D3's
Hammer Time!:smash:
I fought the most obnoxious (in a good way) G&W last night. She was good enough for me to consider picking him up as a secondary.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Personally, I use little mac to take care of all of dedede's worst matchups. He can dodge projectiles pretty well with his great dodge rolls and his side B (when the timing and spacing line up), and he can get to any projectile spammer quickly. His attacks are powerful like dedede's, but his air game is nothing close to the king's.
I also play charizard a lot. He is very similar to dedede in matchups, so he isn't really the best to use for his tough matchups, but he is a great alternative if your playstyle gets too predictable. Also, his flare blitz can go right through most projectiles.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Sonic. Keeps pace with quick combo characters like Pikachu and Sheik, and has no trouble getting in on Rosalina and projectile spam.

Top Bottom