• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm Tired of Debating

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Tempted to post this in the competitive forum, but I feel this is too personal to post on there. To sum up, I've been playing Smash 4 since day 1, and I've been an advocate for full custom legality since the very beginning. Seeing the attitudes of it change from indifference to outright hatred has left me in the position for constantly trying to defend its conclusion at every opportunity I had. However, after EVO and the large movement to ban customs moves permanently, I've faced a lot more violent opposition for still arguing for them. I've been called a cancerous tumor that should be cut off from competitive play before, and that still stings. I suppose it doesn't help that my area is one of the most vocal anti-customs areas around, what with MVD and the like shutting down all customs supporters at the drop of a hat.

So I tried to adapt. The past two months have had me trying to acclimate to using no customs at all in my friendlies matches. And quite frankly, I'm finding the game to be a lot more boring. I know the competitive scene is about making the game as fair and balanced as possible, but if I really wanted to make money off of a hobby, I'd play the stock market, not join a fighting game scene. So with no options available to me (Anther's Ladder still doesn't support a customs-only bracket), I'm considering being done with Smash 4. I know several notable players like Dapuffster have already dropped because of the bias against customs and Miis, and I'm nowhere near that level of skill, so nobody'd realistically care if I left too, but...honestly I'm just tired of this schism and constant mud-slinging. I just want to enjoy myself at this point. Maybe I'll do Street Fighter instead.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
If what you say is true on how you just want to enjoy yourself, then I'll be in support of you all the way. Happiness is a great thing to have and everyone should have it. I'd care if you left too, actually. So we might have not gotten ourselves acquainted, but I think we can get along pretty well. But you do what you want to do; nobody's stopping you.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I don't think you should quit. I'm sure there are many more people who care about you than you think. And in my opinion, anyone who has the nerve to call someone else a "cancerous tumor" simply for using customs doesnt have an opinion worth being noted. Although I prefer not to use customs, the only reason I don't is because Falcon, my main, doesn't have any good custom moves. There is nothing wrong with using customs if you want to. I recommend trying to find someone who will play friendlies with customs, if you haven't already. I just don't want the smash scene to lose a dedicated member because of an insignificant debate. In the end, you have to do what you want to do, but do remember how many melee players hate Sm4sh for being different. New things are frequently shunned for being different. Eventually, people settle and readjust to the new. You must just be better at readjusting than the rest of us. I hope this helps at least somewhat, and I hope your situation grows brighter because, honestly, all any of us wants is to play smash and have fun.

MVD

Smash Master
Tempted to post this in the competitive forum, but I feel this is too personal to post on there. To sum up, I've been playing Smash 4 since day 1, and I've been an advocate for full custom legality since the very beginning. Seeing the attitudes of it change from indifference to outright hatred has left me in the position for constantly trying to defend its conclusion at every opportunity I had. However, after EVO and the large movement to ban customs moves permanently, I've faced a lot more violent opposition for still arguing for them. I've been called a cancerous tumor that should be cut off from competitive play before, and that still stings. I suppose it doesn't help that my area is one of the most vocal anti-customs areas around, what with MVD and the like shutting down all customs supporters at the drop of a hat.

So I tried to adapt. The past two months have had me trying to acclimate to using no customs at all in my friendlies matches. And quite frankly, I'm finding the game to be a lot more boring. I know the competitive scene is about making the game as fair and balanced as possible, but if I really wanted to make money off of a hobby, I'd play the stock market, not join a fighting game scene. So with no options available to me (Anther's Ladder still doesn't support a customs-only bracket), I'm considering being done with Smash 4. I know several notable players like Dapuffster have already dropped because of the bias against customs and Miis, and I'm nowhere near that level of skill, so nobody'd realistically care if I left too, but...honestly I'm just tired of this schism and constant mud-slinging. I just want to enjoy myself at this point. Maybe I'll do Street Fighter instead.
Just use 1111 like all of us or pick a new character

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Just use 1111 like all of us or pick a new character
Look dude, I'm not going to question the fact that you probably know what's better for the competitive community considering your incredible level of commitment to both the game and the community, being ranked within the top ten in the world, but first, a response that brief comes off as insensitive (not a big surprise coming from the Miami scene) and unwilling to encourage discourse. And that's what all of your responses about customs are. I distinctively remember reading a post of yours on another forum to the effect of, "we tried running customs and guess what, they suck". On a board discussing the pros and cons of customs. You didn't really add anything to the conversation, you just used your name to throw out an opinion so people would just eat it up and use it as proof that customs are bad, because a big name Smasher said so. I'm sorry to say I don't operate that way, neither through sheep mentality in following what top players say, nor from the simplification standpoint of just wanting fewer variables in way of the fight.

If you'll perchance allow me to gush not why I think customs should be tourney-standard, but why I love them as a thing, I'd appreciate it. I love the amount of personality that shines through building a custom set. Fighting games have always been about becoming the best player you can, but through that journey comes an individual style, which has been highlighted even in Melee. The way Ken played Marth was not the same as how KDJ played Marth, you could feel totally different auras coming from the same character. And customs are the most amazing way of highlighting that creativity in style. A Mario player's choice in cape can mean the difference in encouraging a slow, calculated defensive play, and a super-hype, off-stage style of play. And honestly, seeing those two radically different playstyles coming from the same character is what makes customs so exciting for me; seeing not just a display of skill, but a display of creativity and personality shining through. Watching Mango play Fox is always a joy for spectators, but I'd also be the first to gush about what kind of dedication and creativity a player like aMSa has, to take an obscure character like Yoshi and showcase what a different mentality is capable of. That's the reason why I love Smash.

But I doubt you particularly care about what I have to say. Because around Versus and AO, the mentality is "play vanilla or deal." And that response of yours that you just posted is the prime reason why I've taken such issue with this debate, and why I made this topic in the first place. Because I want customs play and you just shut the few of us who want customs down because we're empirically wrong and dumb for wanting such a sucky gimmick. In the end, I guess we'd be similarly equated to people who want to play coin matches or turbo mode on PM. And our opinions don't matter because they suck. Just conform to the status quo and learn to be happy with it, or leave. That's honestly what I get out of your comment.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I can empathise with this. It's gotten to the stage where I don't care about rules or petty distinctions between "we and ye", I'm just content to go with whatever's happening because I want to play Smash.

We should probably set up a tiny gang for customs supporters on Smashboards where we can get together online and play customs matches ha ha~

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I can empathise with this. It's gotten to the stage where I don't care about rules or petty distinctions between "we and ye", I'm just content to go with whatever's happening because I want to play Smash.

We should probably set up a tiny gang for customs supporters on Smashboards where we can get together online and play customs matches ha ha~
That's actually not a bad idea. I've seen too much people take Smash 4 very seriously, so switching over from Super Serious mode to Fantastic Fun mode would be a nice change of pace. And maybe equipment, items, and a FFA with either Coin, Stock, or Time could give us the silliness we've all been dying for.

MVD

Smash Master
Look dude, I'm not going to question the fact that you probably know what's better for the competitive community considering your incredible level of commitment to both the game and the community, being ranked within the top ten in the world, but first, a response that brief comes off as insensitive (not a big surprise coming from the Miami scene) and unwilling to encourage discourse. And that's what all of your responses about customs are. I distinctively remember reading a post of yours on another forum to the effect of, "we tried running customs and guess what, they suck". On a board discussing the pros and cons of customs. You didn't really add anything to the conversation, you just used your name to throw out an opinion so people would just eat it up and use it as proof that customs are bad, because a big name Smasher said so. I'm sorry to say I don't operate that way, neither through sheep mentality in following what top players say, nor from the simplification standpoint of just wanting fewer variables in way of the fight.

If you'll perchance allow me to gush not why I think customs should be tourney-standard, but why I love them as a thing, I'd appreciate it. I love the amount of personality that shines through building a custom set. Fighting games have always been about becoming the best player you can, but through that journey comes an individual style, which has been highlighted even in Melee. The way Ken played Marth was not the same as how KDJ played Marth, you could feel totally different auras coming from the same character. And customs are the most amazing way of highlighting that creativity in style. A Mario player's choice in cape can mean the difference in encouraging a slow, calculated defensive play, and a super-hype, off-stage style of play. And honestly, seeing those two radically different playstyles coming from the same character is what makes customs so exciting for me; seeing not just a display of skill, but a display of creativity and personality shining through. Watching Mango play Fox is always a joy for spectators, but I'd also be the first to gush about what kind of dedication and creativity a player like aMSa has, to take an obscure character like Yoshi and showcase what a different mentality is capable of. That's the reason why I love Smash.

But I doubt you particularly care about what I have to say. Because around Versus and AO, the mentality is "play vanilla or deal." And that response of yours that you just posted is the prime reason why I've taken such issue with this debate, and why I made this topic in the first place. Because I want customs play and you just shut the few of us who want customs down because we're empirically wrong and dumb for wanting such a sucky gimmick. In the end, I guess we'd be similarly equated to people who want to play coin matches or turbo mode on PM. And our opinions don't matter because they suck. Just conform to the status quo and learn to be happy with it, or leave. That's honestly what I get out of your comment.
sorry if thats what you got from it, I've had this tiresome debate long enough and have grown cold to it. I just firmly believe that 1111 is the way to go. I've stated my lengthy opinions on it several times, and they are replied to with "adapt, get bettter, what are you scared to lose?" so instead of trying to have a civil discussion, I'd much rather just stick to "1111 or play someone new" and thats about it

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

Can't help but sympathize with your dilemma here.

Smash has turned into a sport, a language in itself. From what I can see, it seems like the competitive junkies are trying to lobby for no handicaps whatsoever (we already have the heavily stripped Omega stages). I honestly can't see the problem with some customs here and there. Your first paragraph sounds to me like less "fair and balanced," and more regulated gameplay.

Yet your second gets to the heart of the matter. I remember when Smash first came out, the fanbase was really fired up (and not necessarily in a good way). People were being targeted for certain views that didn't correlate with others, debating Smash was like debating politics literally. It was really ugly. Now that time has passed and its reaching a year since its release, its calmed down a bit. Still you get a troll here and there but not everyday. I remember making debating that there was technically no difference between items and projectiles, one of my classic examples being Link's bomb in comparison to a bomb-omb.

I even got the literal definitions out of both from Webster to back my argument, but peeps of the competitive scene still refused to budge. I've stopped trying to make my case, despite still holding onto that personal belief.

But in any case, I can understand your pain dude.

EDIT: Something important to remember, if you still want to train, is to learn at your own pace, practice with people who will be good coaches and be understanding when you get flustered. Whether you train or not, you'll find it's a much more enjoyable experience. The way it should be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom