• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm the Biggest N00b on the site

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Hey guy's I'm still new here and would like some constructive critisim for my Marth

Please bear in mind
  1. I've gotten better
  2. I had a sticky controller D:

Sorry about that crappy music, it wasn't me that picked it, and the bad quality.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rm4UneVc-_E

Yeah no I can L cancel/wavedash alot better no need to point out the obvious

BAMN

Smash Journeyman
I am a bit of a noob here on SWF also but here is what I suggest:

Chaingrab space animals whenever possible.
You started countering a bit more midmatch, not necessarily bad, just something i noticed.
You ftilted when you could of tippered fsmash for a KO a few times.

Just my two cents :D

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
You could use some more grabbing. Vs. Falco, you can chainthrow with your upthrow at low percent, and it can also lead into uptilts, upairs and fsmashes. Watch the beginning of this video to see Ken's Marth chaingrab Bomsoldier's Falco.

I also never saw you ledge hop anything. Ledgehopped fairs/nairs can help Marth get up off the ledge.

Some other things too work on are:

Shffling (Short hop fast fall L-cancel)
Shorthop double Fairs
Dashdancing. It's simple to do, and works well as a mindgame.

Also check out the Marth character specific board, and read Crater12's Marth FAQ if you haven't already.

Watching videos of the pros can also help. Some of my favorite videos are Ken vs. Isai:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRVbwL5Bvc8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7tMO0bo1HnY&mode=related&search=

You're not too bad, keep practicing and you'll get better.

Heero9191

Smash Rookie
Here lemme give you a few pointers.
1) You NEED to shffl and wave dash. It will make your marth so much better
2)Chain grabbing is a good way to rack up damage
3)Use mind games
4)Take advantage of marth range
5)edge guard/hand ALOT and try to spike
6)get a new non-stick controller lol

These are just some of the things that i do and although i am still not good enough they help and will bring you one step closer to becoming great!

Kirbyfighter

Smash Rookie
kickass music man.... hahah. uhh learn to wavedash. Remember Marth's tip of the sword does the most damage and also remember that his sword gives him good range man so keep that in mind. And get a better remote, trust me, it helps a lot. Uhh other than that, ur gettin there. Keep practicing.

El Gordo

Smash Cadet
Hey guy's I'm still new here and would like some constructive critisim for my Marth

Please bear in mind
  1. I've gotten better
  2. I had a sticky controller D:

Sorry about that crappy music, it wasn't me that picked it, and the bad quality.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rm4UneVc-_E

Yeah no I can L cancel/wavedash alot better no need to point out the obvious
1)Edgeguarding is very good^^
2)Grab a bit more
3)You counter very much^^,but thats your thing^^

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice, tomorrow (Sunday) I'll post a more recent vid seeing on how terribly outdated that one is. I was already chainthrowing before I posted this thread >.>, it's funny, chain throwing my friends falco pisses him off so much it makes me laugh :laugh:.

D

Deleted member

hey seyasha....dont worry your most defenitialy not the biggest noob on the boards so dont worry you have a decent starting skill.but like they said above spacing,edge guarding chain grabbing all that good stuff needs to be utilized alot more.dont worry i saw you mention of the l canceling w/dash deal so i wont bother w/that.this is a good start so keep it up:) ill be shore to check in on this thread to help you out if its needed :)

EDIT:also watch lots of vids and tutorial videos but most importantly try to find tournaments or even gatherings and play new people.i travel and its WELL worth it :)

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
hey seyasha....dont worry your most defenitialy not the biggest noob on the boards so dont worry you have a decent starting skill.but like they said above spacing,edge guarding chain grabbing all that good stuff needs to be utilized alot more.dont worry i saw you mention of the l canceling w/dash deal so i wont bother w/that.this is a good start so keep it up:) ill be shore to check in on this thread to help you out if its needed :)

EDIT:also watch lots of vids and tutorial videos but most importantly try to find tournaments or even gatherings and play new people.i travel and its WELL worth it :)
Dude i have 7 youtbue vids blazing right now :laugh:.

Thanks for the info, can I add you to my buddy list, I'm still really new, and would love to become a senior member here on SWF

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I'm still really new, and would love to become a senior member here on SWF
Senior -anything- only ever comes with time. Years and years and years...

I think you would play a lot better if you played slower. Practice nothing but short hop forward airs while moving backwards (use the c-stick to do the forward air and then pull back). Cut down on the counter because the lag will get you punished (it's too much of a crapshoot to use: it if works it only does 6%, if it fails, you get destroyed).

From the edge, learn your options. You can edgehop an attack, ledgedash, do your getup attack, roll, get up (just press forward), jump, or drop down and jump and grab the edge again. You should mix these things up CONSTANTLY and try to use less of the laggier ones (roll, jump, attack).

DI will help you live longer. This is the skill of changing the trajectory of getting knocked back. You can only change the direction, not the power of the move that hit you. The secret is to press and hold up when you are flying in the air. This will convert your horizontal momentum into more vertical momentum, giving you more time to live and also getting you closer to the stage.

Lastly, a grab game is important. Grab someone and throw them and don't attack, just watch what they do. Grab them again and throw them again and just watch them. Memorize the methods in which they recover themselves and look for openings to hit them with a nair/fair/fsmash/ftilt/dtilt or another grab. In fact, never stop looking for openings. Spend more time watching the opponent than yourself.

I only wish I could teach these things better. Keep it up kiddo.

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Senior -anything- only ever comes with time. Years and years and years...

I think you would play a lot better if you played slower. Practice nothing but short hop forward airs while moving backwards (use the c-stick to do the forward air and then pull back). Cut down on the counter because the lag will get you punished (it's too much of a crapshoot to use: it if works it only does 6%, if it fails, you get destroyed).

From the edge, learn your options. You can edgehop an attack, ledgedash, do your getup attack, roll, get up (just press forward), jump, or drop down and jump and grab the edge again. You should mix these things up CONSTANTLY and try to use less of the laggier ones (roll, jump, attack).

DI will help you live longer. This is the skill of changing the trajectory of getting knocked back. You can only change the direction, not the power of the move that hit you. The secret is to press and hold up when you are flying in the air. This will convert your horizontal momentum into more vertical momentum, giving you more time to live and also getting you closer to the stage.

Lastly, a grab game is important. Grab someone and throw them and don't attack, just watch what they do. Grab them again and throw them again and just watch them. Memorize the methods in which they recover themselves and look for openings to hit them with a nair/fair/fsmash/ftilt/dtilt or another grab. In fact, never stop looking for openings. Spend more time watching the opponent than yourself.

I only wish I could teach these things better. Keep it up kiddo.
DUDE YOU ARE MY NEW SENSAI :O!!!

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Sensei is too much work. Just practice.

And I forgot to mention, for all the people telling you to chaingrab, it's more efficient to uthrow->utilt->utilt->utilt and then fsmash tipper them when you see it. God knows the space animals are easy enough to edgeguard, getting them off the stage is all it takes.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
at first i saw a lot of dash attacks. they can easily be shield grabbed. alot of countering..which can be good but not always. at least your doing a lot of fairs which is good. idk i didnt watch it all. but not too bad.

Top Bottom