• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm tempted to drop Smash 4 forever.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
I really am. I hope I don't sound bitter in this but this problem has been on my chest for awhile and its been kind of tearing me apart, so I hope people here have some advice on what to do or if I should just take a break. Anyway lets get on with it, Smash Bros is my favorite fighting game, the characters, the music, the stages , the etc. I really do love the series, but Smash 4 changes that. There is just something about this game that I don't like. I've been playing it since day one and I can't really find a character that I really want to play. The game feels jank and inconsistent, I just don't have fun playing it. I know what you will say "Just get good" but honestly how can I get good at a game that I don't enjoy? Thanks for reading this and if you have any advice or insight into Smash 4 that would be appreciated.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Honestly, if you're not enjoying it then maybe you should take a bit of a break.

After all, games are supposed to be fun.

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
I honestly feel the same way. There is just something about Smash 4 I don't like about. I just not fun anymore, it just becoming a bore for me to play. (also thanks Nammy for putting a Xenoblade spoiler in your signature, since I was trying to avoid spoilers)

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I'll say it again. Everyone has their tastes. Sm4sh is not for everyone. Melee is not for everyone. Street Fighter is not for everyone. Game of Thrones is not for everyone. All that being said, it is totally okay if you do not like Sm4sh. Spend your time doing something you enjoy and you will be a happier person.

Here's a good example. I liked Animal Crossing DS. I bought Animal Crossing 3DS, I just didn't have fun with it so I sold it. While one person I knew was butthurt that I said I didn't like it, a game can't please everyone's interests and honestly the only person who matters is you... and me, cuz I am really cool :D

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Maybe don't quit it forever, but it sounds like you need a break at the very least.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Maybe this game is not for you or you play smash too much, I had this problem too.I say play something other than smash 4 or any smash game and then try playing it again if you still don't like it just drop it.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You're better off using your time differently then. Unless you're slightly sadistic, why force yourself to do something you don't like?

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
You're better off using your time differently then. Unless you're slightly sadistic, why force yourself to do something you don't like?
Cuz im one sadistic MoFo ;3

But yeah lately been feeling the same way. The game is just getting lame for me. Especially with this whole premise of 'camping being essential to the game cuz it's actually tactics in play' I just wanna play as Zelda and Marth but people insist on being 'LemonMan' and Rosa or Cpt Falcon.
Theres days where i just dont see the point in playing anymore, but i wish i was better at the same time so i train hard and take part in tournaments, but am only disappointed. I understand thats my fault for playing such characters, and i take the breaks i need and comeback. But lately -especially today...it just ain't doing it for me.
Its either continue and play miserabe, or quit and be miserable and maybe alittle salty.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
To be honest, I think the thing that sets Smash 4 apart from other Smash games and can make it feel "jank" is how much more precise hitboxes and hurtboxes are than they have ever been in any Smash game prior. You know that half-step back many characters do when charging their FSmashes, for example? You're expected to use that step back to cause an enemy to whiff their own attack, then slam your FSmash into them while their hurtbox is extended forward during their endlag. Smash 4 is all about the footsies game, and knowing exactly how your hurtbox moves during your attacks so you can use that movement to slip a foe's attack and punish. Almost all attacks have shorter range than they've ever had before in Smash, and projectiles in general have worse frame data than they've ever had before. I gotta say, it really does feel "jank" when your DSmash just barely misses a foe who is close enough to jab you. (That's why I play Mii Gunner, DSmash has godly range for some reason.)

Even simply standing idle just outside of attack range can be dangerous in Smash 4; your character's random idling animations might extend their hurtbox just barely into the foe's range!

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Well some people don't realize that it may not be the game that is boring/campy/spammy, but possibly the matchup. Obviously if 2 villagers are fighting you know what is going to happen. This recent vid though, really showcases what certain matchups can be like. If I played games like this (which I do since I play Falcon/Ganon so I don't camp nor let my opponent camp) all the time I'd be having a lot of fun (which I am).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpH0Nm5mQJ4

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well some people don't realize that it may not be the game that is boring/campy/spammy, but possibly the matchup. Obviously if 2 villagers are fighting you know what is going to happen. This recent vid though, really showcases what certain matchups can be like. If I played games like this (which I do since I play Falcon/Ganon so I don't camp nor let my opponent camp) all the time I'd be having a lot of fun (which I am).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpH0Nm5mQJ4
I personally think it's less the matchup/character and more the player themselves. One thing I've noticed is that weaker players tend to be slower and campier in their play, whereas stronger players tend to be more aggressive. Ranai is a very strong Villager from Japan and he's plays pretty aggressive.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I personally think it's less the matchup/character and more the player themselves. One thing I've noticed is that weaker players tend to be slower and campier in their play, whereas stronger players tend to be more aggressive. Ranai is a very strong Villager from Japan and he's plays pretty aggressive.
Ah yes that is true, didn't mean to generalize some nice villager users. I haven't seen em yet, probably because I don't watch too many vids. It is also true that the high level play from the players in that video also made it more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, you could wait to see if the DLC characters strike your fancy. But otherwise, it's fine to take a break or move to a different game. Not every installment will be for you, and that's okay.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
If you ain't feeling it right now, you ain't feeling it right now.

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I'm feeling the same way, though I think most of my frustration comes from the fact that I still don't have a Gamecube adapter (I'm using a Pro Controller) and my online matches are laggy 9 times out of 10. That being said, if Smash 4 didn't have online, I probably would have stopped playing months ago. The single player is boring, I don't like any of the newcomers and the new fighting mechanics just feel off.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'd say give it some time and take a break. Sometimes I am not in the mood or don't enjoy playing, and other times I love it. I see you have Lucas as one of your mains, so maybe wait for him and see if you can pick him up and enjoy playing.

Quit forever.
Your avatar goes a bit too well with this post.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I recommend taking a break and coming back to it to see how you fare.

You may just have gamer burn out.

Top Bottom