• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm pretty sure Ivysaur should be an impossible to win match up

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
she makes us shield due to razor leaf which considerably harms our shield.

she can out space our ground game.

we can't use our waddles at all because she can get a free solar beam charge.

her bair stops our aerial approach even though she basically forces us to jump.

when she has solar beam we are forced to play on the ground where she is absurdly good.

I don't understand this MU. its considerably taxing on me to play even slower than normal DDDs do and with a grab, I won't get much even if I throw her offstage

SpiderMad

Smash Master
December 14th was it? Not to kill discussion of the MU if people have good tips though

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't think either character is going to change too dramatically. If her projectile is different, then we can ignore this thread because that's the main problem

Thor

Smash Champion
I'm not an expert but her projectile is rather telegraphed in my opinion - can you cancel it with a waddle dee? If so that might help your problems somewhat (maybe they just need to speed waddle dee toss up some or something).

Also, can you light armor razor leaf with down+b and walk right through it to nail her? (I know you can light armor PK fire so it's really funny to do it to a Ness who hasn't learned this).

Does Inhale do anything in this MU or not?

Just some ideas, maybe you've already considered all of this.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
In the 3.0 preview streams, Razor leaf has a slower start up. I also remember some talk about how it decelerates quickly, hindering it's range, but I don't know if that's actually true.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
As an Ivysaur player: Waddle Toss, even with the free charge, is a very important move. Spamming dair, uair, and usmash leaves me pretty open, so I can't seek them out unless you're out of play somehow.

Thor

Smash Champion
Played PM today, yes Razor Leaf slower, it's possible it's just Brawl's Razor Leaf now -_-, so that move should be much less of an issue.

Can't you powershield them? XD Maybe not but I thought PM had fixed that and if so it seems like Falco lasers except more annoying...

If you're pressuring them, Waddle Dee Toss is either not a free charge or you should be getting a smash - they can't sweetspot uair, dair probably has the lag for Dedede's fastest smash and usmash might have enough lag for an fsmash. And I will say this - I either underestimate the raw power of solarbeam, or a usmash charge they get in exchange for you landing a (hopefully sweetspotted) fsmash seems worth it.

Also, learn to punish her recovery - unless Dedede is that bad, characters have ways to punish tether recoveries when both are on the ledge and they get up - can wait for it and punish. Alternatively, grab the ledge and fastfall his nair (or if he has another long duration move that won't make him SD, use that) - unless Ivy's vine is SUPER long Dedede should fall fast and far enough to hit Ivysaur if she pulls up and probably if she doesn't, and either way you've got more damage and possibly a gimp, depending on where you hit her.

Hopefully at least some of it works.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
The MU is impossible but its hard for d3. make use of jumps and bait out ivys bair on an up b. come down for inhale or grab

BLUX

Smash Cadet
from my experience against zwarms ivy i just camped the ledge and gimped him. there wasn't much he could do unless he daired me offstage

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
As an ivysaur main, I can safely d3 and bowser are my most confident matchups but they are NOT impossible
Waddle dashing to get in on ivy is very advantageous for d3 and if you keep tabs on your waddledees ivy won't have the space for getting the free solarbeam
Inhales can put ivy off stage and d3's bair can edgeguard ivy's tether to hell

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I just ftilt, get her offstage and wreck her with bairs and fairs.

Iunno, sometimes the MU seems really easy, until she starts sending Razor leaves at the really awkward "forehead" angle. I forget if ftilt actually clanks leaves, it's been awhile since I've played the MU, and I haven't played it in the 3.0x era.

I have a tourney this weekend though, so if I play against our Ivy, I'll try out the old duck.

Top Bottom