• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm not sure who to main, can you help please? :)

Which one suits my style?

• Total voters

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Yep, there's a lot of options-! I've passed 1000 matches between the Wii U and 3DS games, and while I'm still struggling with the basics, I'm glad I haven't actually given up yet, despite some depressive times. At the very least I guess I'm now better than the average player, which is better than I expected to do; it's weird to have to hold back when playing against my buddies XD

I have an unusual conundrum though; despite all the games I've played, I don't know who to main. Each time I think I've found someone good who I win For Glory a lot as, a bunch of players come along - usually on Smash Ladder - and perfect-round me. I know if I knuckled down and focused on one character I'd probably be on my way to mastering them, but I can't think of who it should be.

The order of the poll options is the order I would priorities becoming good as a character. Bowser and DK are my favourites i n the cast, but of course they're far from the best. As long as they're aren't "shortcut-to-win-top-tier" I'd like to try them. These are the ways I try to play:

- I'm not a rushdown player, and yet grabs are important to me. As soon as I exploit a weakness in someone I try to make use of a grab, even if I can't combo from it.

- I try to use a long range move in people's faces to psyche them out. I'm better with mind games than actually close-combat fighting.

- Out-of-shield options are important to me; for a long time, Bowser suited me because of his quick Up-B on the ground.

- I don't usually meteor smash opponents, but I'm good at gimping them.

- Impact is an important part of my enjoyment in a character. Smashing someone as Pit or Pac Man feels blunt in comparison to say, Sonic's punch.

- I'm awful with characters with heavy gravity on them.

- I rely heavily on my air game. Wii Fit Trainer was ok for me for a while because of her long range, unusual air attacks which still had decent impact.

Hopefully I haven't confused anyone; maybe I could train with someone online so we can figure out who suits me best? Until then, any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Once I find a character to get comfortable with, I can start focusing on advanced tricks! :)

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Yep, there's a lot of options-! I've passed 1000 matches between the Wii U and 3DS games, and while I'm still struggling with the basics, I'm glad I haven't actually given up yet, despite some depressive times. At the very least I guess I'm now better than the average player, which is better than I expected to do; it's weird to have to hold back when playing against my buddies XD

I have an unusual conundrum though; despite all the games I've played, I don't know who to main. Each time I think I've found someone good who I win For Glory a lot as, a bunch of players come along - usually on Smash Ladder - and perfect-round me. I know if I knuckled down and focused on one character I'd probably be on my way to mastering them, but I can't think of who it should be.

The order of the poll options is the order I would priorities becoming good as a character. Bowser and DK are my favourites i n the cast, but of course they're far from the best. As long as they're aren't "shortcut-to-win-top-tier" I'd like to try them. These are the ways I try to play:

- I'm not a rushdown player, and yet grabs are important to me. As soon as I exploit a weakness in someone I try to make use of a grab, even if I can't combo from it.
- I try to use a long range move in people's faces to psyche them out. I'm better with mind games than actually close-combat fighting.
- Out-of-shield options are important to me; for a long time, Bowser suited me because of his quick Up-B on the ground.
- Impact is an important part of my enjoyment in a character. Smashing someone as Pit or Pac Man feels blunt in comparison to say, Sonic's punch.
- I rely heavily on my air game. Wii Fit Trainer was ok for me for a while because of her long range, unusual air attacks which still had decent impact.

Hopefully I haven't confused anyone; maybe I could train with someone online so we can figure out who suits me best? Until then, any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Once I find a character to get comfortable with, I can start focusing on advanced tricks! :)
Uuummmmm.... Sheik?

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
As a person who mains Pit, Sonic and used to Main Pac-Man and uses Robin sometimes, let me see if I can help.

Pit's grabs can be easy to combo with practice, but obviously you don't have to combo into them. They're also good for using arrows afterwards. Sonic's Backthrow is one of his best kill moves, recommend to use around an edge. Up Throw to Up Air is also neat. Pac-Man's F-Throw keeps them right in front of you, so it can be good for hitting them with a Smash attack. Unsure with Robin's throws since I don't throw with her much.

Ooh, that's perfect for pit. You can fake out arrows by making them go above and behind your opponent. Sometimes I do Obitor fake outs with Pit against Mega Man and Samus. You can also cancel Sonic's spindash by shielding. That's a good mind game move since you can do it alot of times during the match. Pac-Man's Side B an be good with fake outs. And if it looks like you're doing lots of Smash attacks with Robin and they're shielding you to no end, use Robin's D-Special.

Bowser's really great with that. I don't think the characters I'm helping you with have much Out of shield options. Unsure if Pac-Man's Side-B is good for an Out of shield option...Doubt it. There's also Down Smash to Back roll? Bowser and Donkey Kong are great for this

Pit's N-Air is good for gimping. You can use it multiple times and since Pit has a wonderful recovery don't worry too much about dying. He can meteor smash but It's SUPER DIFFICULT. Sonic can gimp too obviously, he can also Meteor Smash, but it's SUPER DANGEROUS. Pac-Man's hydrant is fun to use when people are off stage and fruits are obviously good for gimping. And turn his Side B upwards and that's good too.

Same here dude. Sonic punch is just so satisfying. Up Smash is neat too on Sonic. Pit has Upperdash Arm, which is satisfying to kill with. Pac-Man has a neat combo if you put your hydrant on the ground and hit it with your Side-B it'll send the hydrant flying, and if lucky you'll hit your opponent with your Side B AND the Hydrant, super satisfying. We can all agree about any move you use with Robin is satisfying.

I don't think any of the characters I'm helping you with have heavy gravity... :)

Pit, as anyone can see, has one of the best air games in this game. Sonic has good air game too, since his Spin dash combos go into the air and his aerial attacks are quick. Pac-Man has some air game I think, unsure since I'm usually on the ground with Pac-ster. Robin has decent air game, her/his strong attacks could fail to get into combos, though.

That's about it, hope some of this information helped you at least the slightest.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm terrible about remembering to attack OOS as everyone but Doc, but Wario and DK seem like decent picks for you. Wario is a pretty good gimper, but he'll lack some of the range you prefer, so you'll have to learn spacing with tilts and fair.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You literally just described Palutena.

Join us, join us~ <3

EDIT: Jigglypuff is also a decent choice, but she's extremely light and very, very aerially-focused.

Whomever you want to pick, you can make it work~ ^w^

Last edited:

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Main Bias? Probably.
I still do think Mario would suit you well. Many people wrote him off due to his sub-par performances and his spot #1 on the roster, but his fireballs are very good at gimping, and do more damage when used up close. If you haven't seen Mario's 0 to ~50% throw combo, you should take a look at it. Mario is very throw heavy, and has great air options, even if you don't like his meteor, many opponents will fear it off the edge and preemptively airdodge, giving you lots of options when they are out of that lag. His down smash is a good out of shield option, and many of his attacks have that impact that you want in your character.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
You literally just described Palutena.

Join us, join us~ <3

EDIT: Jigglypuff is also a decent choice, but she's extremely light and very, very aerially-focused.

Whomever you want to pick, you can make it work~ ^w^
...I never actually considered Palutena until you mentionned her. And you have a point! Quick, sneaky projectiles, decent grab range, mind-game reflect/counters, long air attacks. My only worry is her recovery, but she's worth a shot! :D

Main Bias? Probably.
I still do think Mario would suit you well. Many people wrote him off due to his sub-par performances and his spot #1 on the roster, but his fireballs are very good at gimping, and do more damage when used up close. If you haven't seen Mario's 0 to ~50% throw combo, you should take a look at it. Mario is very throw heavy, and has great air options, even if you don't like his meteor, many opponents will fear it off the edge and preemptively airdodge, giving you lots of options when they are out of that lag. His down smash is a good out of shield option, and many of his attacks have that impact that you want in your character.
Mario was good for me in Project M, but I struggle as him in Brawl and Smash 4 for some reason. I think its because combos aren't so good in the later games.

As a person who mains Pit, Sonic and used to Main Pac-Man and uses Robin sometimes, let me see if I can help.

Pit's grabs can be easy to combo with practice, but obviously you don't have to combo into them. They're also good for using arrows afterwards. Sonic's Backthrow is one of his best kill moves, recommend to use around an edge. Up Throw to Up Air is also neat. Pac-Man's F-Throw keeps them right in front of you, so it can be good for hitting them with a Smash attack. Unsure with Robin's throws since I don't throw with her much.

Ooh, that's perfect for pit. You can fake out arrows by making them go above and behind your opponent. Sometimes I do Obitor fake outs with Pit against Mega Man and Samus. You can also cancel Sonic's spindash by shielding. That's a good mind game move since you can do it alot of times during the match. Pac-Man's Side B an be good with fake outs. And if it looks like you're doing lots of Smash attacks with Robin and they're shielding you to no end, use Robin's D-Special.

Bowser's really great with that. I don't think the characters I'm helping you with have much Out of shield options. Unsure if Pac-Man's Side-B is good for an Out of shield option...Doubt it. There's also Down Smash to Back roll? Bowser and Donkey Kong are great for this

Pit's N-Air is good for gimping. You can use it multiple times and since Pit has a wonderful recovery don't worry too much about dying. He can meteor smash but It's SUPER DIFFICULT. Sonic can gimp too obviously, he can also Meteor Smash, but it's SUPER DANGEROUS. Pac-Man's hydrant is fun to use when people are off stage and fruits are obviously good for gimping. And turn his Side B upwards and that's good too.

Same here dude. Sonic punch is just so satisfying. Up Smash is neat too on Sonic. Pit has Upperdash Arm, which is satisfying to kill with. Pac-Man has a neat combo if you put your hydrant on the ground and hit it with your Side-B it'll send the hydrant flying, and if lucky you'll hit your opponent with your Side B AND the Hydrant, super satisfying. We can all agree about any move you use with Robin is satisfying.

I don't think any of the characters I'm helping you with have heavy gravity... :)

Pit, as anyone can see, has one of the best air games in this game. Sonic has good air game too, since his Spin dash combos go into the air and his aerial attacks are quick. Pac-Man has some air game I think, unsure since I'm usually on the ground with Pac-ster. Robin has decent air game, her/his strong attacks could fail to get into combos, though.

That's about it, hope some of this information helped you at least the slightest.
Certainly, I'm glad you took the time to go into such detail! When I tried Pit before, I felt I needed to put a lot more effort into finishing off opponents than they would need to against me. And you're right about Robin; one false move and he's wide open.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
...I never actually considered Palutena until you mentionned her. And you have a point! Quick, sneaky projectiles, decent grab range, mind-game reflect/counters, long air attacks. My only worry is her recovery, but she's worth a shot! :D
Her recovery is quite average or slightly above, and thus she's fine in that regard.

Worth noting that she becomes vastly stronger with custom moves, so if you aren't already a supporter, play her default for a while and then give Super Speed and Explosive Flame a try.

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Her recovery is quite average or slightly above, and thus she's fine in that regard.

Worth noting that she becomes vastly stronger with custom moves, so if you aren't already a supporter, play her default for a while and then give Super Speed and Explosive Light a try.
Are they supported competitively, or should I check out her standard moveset as though it were the only moveset available?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Warp is a pretty excellent recovery. You can aim it in any direction and it covers a lot of distance without fear of being intercepted as you go ahead.

If you want to brush up your skills with the Goddess of Light, message me, we can have dittos. :3

Worth noting that she becomes vastly stronger with custom moves, so if you aren't already a supporter, play her default for a while and then give Super Speed and Explosive Light a try.
Debatable, but that's just 'cos I'm used to her default moveset. No arguments that her customs open up a huge amount of possibilities and can make or break your enjoyment of her.

Do you mean Heavenly Light or Explosive Flame, though? ;P

Raijinken

Smash Master
Warp is a pretty excellent recovery. You can aim it in any direction and it covers a lot of distance without fear of being intercepted as you go ahead.

If you want to brush up your skills with the Goddess of Light, message me, we can have dittos. :3

Debatable, but that's just 'cos I'm used to her default moveset. No arguments that her customs open up a huge amount of possibilities and can make or break your enjoyment of her.

Do you mean Heavenly Light or Explosive Flame, though? ;P
I've played a fair bit with default and non-default (a friend of mine mains her, too, so I've seen a lot of both), and generally speaking, Explosive Flame (and not Heavenly Light) is our preferred neutral special. Super Speed has a large number of supporters in the custom move discussions, and I'm starting to agree heavily. The ones with more consideration are upB (Teleport and Jumpglide are both good and accomplish different things), and DownB (almost always Lightweight, but since we're a bit predictable here my friends and I like Counter).

With Superspeed and Lightweight, especially, she goes from a defensive character with a kinda weak projectile to a rushdown aerial comboer. It's a pretty entertaining transition.

Are they supported competitively, or should I check out her standard moveset as though it were the only moveset available?
Some tournaments run customs, others (probably most) unfortunately don't. Thus, depending on if you plan on entering tournaments, I'd suggest finding out how it's run locally. It's always good to be familiar with defaults (even in my group we're split about 50/50 on whether customs are good or not), even if customs are locally supported.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've played a fair bit with default and non-default (a friend of mine mains her, too, so I've seen a lot of both), and generally speaking, Explosive Flame (and not Heavenly Light) is our preferred neutral special. Super Speed has a large number of supporters in the custom move discussions, and I'm starting to agree heavily. The ones with more consideration are upB (Teleport and Jumpglide are both good and accomplish different things), and DownB (almost always Lightweight, but since we're a bit predictable here my friends and I like Counter).

With Superspeed and Lightweight, especially, she goes from a defensive character with a kinda weak projectile to a rushdown aerial comboer. It's a pretty entertaining transition.
Yeah, I figured you meant Explosive Flame, since Heavenly Light is generally agreed to be objectively useless outside of free-for-alls.

It's totally a case of personal preference, though. I get a lot of mileage out of defensive punishment-fighter Palutena, while others I know prefer to rush in and rack up damage. The beauty of the Goddess of Light is that you can pretty much do with her the sort of things you see fit.

JayFresh

Smash Cadet
from reading you post OP I feel like Bowser is probably the one for you. I was leaning towards DK as a DK player myself until you mentioned you didnt meteor smash much. I'd say at least 15-20% of my kills are with Dks metoers

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I'm floundering at the moment; I've been playing quick games as everybody on my list, only to get obliterated on the Anther Ladder. It's hard to choose a main when you're not good as any of them yet. Keep in mind that I am - by nature - not a very smart person, so what would take someone else 10 matches to master would take me 100.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm floundering at the moment; I've been playing quick games as everybody on my list, only to get obliterated on the Anther Ladder. It's hard to choose a main when you're not good as any of them yet. Keep in mind that I am - by nature - not a very smart person, so what would take someone else 10 matches to master would take me 100.
Everyone learns at different rates, really. As much as I really wanted to be a great Robin main in Smash4, he just doesn't suit my playstyle as well as Marth still does since I've been using Marth for ages. Some characters will click for you faster than others.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
You're being to hard on yourself, as per usual :p

A few quick games really isn't enough to know if a character should be your main or not. Anthers Ladder is also typically filled with pretty damn good people. If you're only picking someone up, chances are you will get beaten a lot there. But hey, you'll learn faster by losing there than in For Glory, in my opinion. 10 matches to master something? We're talking about mastering here. It'll take anybody longer than that.

Just don't panic when things don't go well straight away. You have a list made, so pick the character you feel most comfortable with and go to Anthers Ladder. Maybe explain to your opponent that you're only now picking him/her up, and would greatly appreciate advice at the end. These things take time, don't rush it. Good luck!

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
You're being to hard on yourself, as per usual :p
Sorry, I don't mean to depress XD

You could try Dedede. Grabs are vital to his game, he can create mindgames with Gordo, not a bad gimper with multiple jumps, and has lots of high impact moves.
Another good call, always worth a shot :) Also he's perfect even if he doesn't work for me..!

Last edited:

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
You could try Dedede. Grabs are vital to his game, he can create mindgames with Gordo, not a bad gimper with multiple jumps, and has lots of high impact moves.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Grabs are my biggest problem by far; I have no idea how to avoid them and in one match, someone defeated me only by grabbing me. :o Spot-dodging like everyone says doesn't seem to help.

_gold_

Smash Master
Grabs are my biggest problem by far; I have no idea how to avoid them and in one match, someone defeated me only by grabbing me. :o Spot-dodging like everyone says doesn't seem to help.
You can't grab unless you're on the ground. Find a fighter with good jumps and/or good aerial moves to counter grabs.

Last edited:

JaegerFish

Smash Rookie
I would say practice with DK, he's a heavy character but he doesn't feel like he has a ton of weight when you're in the air; He's definitely mobile for a big character and can withstand a lot of punishment too.

As far as attacking goes, his down throw is decent for leading into other attacks and his back throw can kill if you have them close to an edge. His smash attacks obviously hit like a truck so you'll have that nice impact when you nail someone with one. DK has options for meteors so you may want to practice crushing some AIs with them, but if you prefer to gimp them then his B-air is a good sex kick that gimps if you sourspot (the end of the move).

DK's up B is a good option out of shield as it allows you to close a gap between you and your opponent and it blocks (most) projectiles too. It's easy to overlook but a lot of people don't see it coming!

I recommend him because I love DK and I've used him to good effect online, plus he's a giant freaking ape so that's always fun :b:but when it comes down to it you have to use a character that you really enjoy using, then you'll be willing to put the time in to learn all their little quirks and how to use them effectively!

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I've given a few characters some training on Anther's. As much as I wish Donkey Kong or Charizard could be my main, they just didn't suit my playstyle. I've actually narrowed it down to 3 characters now:

Wario, Bowser and Robin.

At the same time if I can learn to master DK somehow, I'd love to, but on For Glory, these are the characters I can actually win as. Trouble is, they all have the same weakness. Rushdown characters give them all trouble. Robin is a character I'd rather not main because I prefer Wario and Bowser as characters themselves, but I'm not sure who to choose out of these 3.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I haven't seen your Bowser, but I have seen your Wario and you've got good potential there. Only thing I can say that will help you chose is instead of focusing on narrowing it down more, practice learning the spacing of your opponents a bit. Knowing the length of some of your oppositions grabs and attacks will give you a better understanding of what you feel you need to counter your oppoenents. (Like out-reaching them with attacks, or the ability to rush in after a whiff for a punish) This will definitely help you get that final bit of data to pick your favorite.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I've given a few characters some training on Anther's. As much as I wish Donkey Kong or Charizard could be my main, they just didn't suit my playstyle. I've actually narrowed it down to 3 characters now:

Wario, Bowser and Robin.

At the same time if I can learn to master DK somehow, I'd love to, but on For Glory, these are the characters I can actually win as. Trouble is, they all have the same weakness. Rushdown characters give them all trouble. Robin is a character I'd rather not main because I prefer Wario and Bowser as characters themselves, but I'm not sure who to choose out of these 3.
Try having multiple mains!

Having multiple mains is a great idea to confuse other players and completely change the way they play and as long as you're aware of the matchups and the way these characters play, you can't go wrong! ^_^

Of course, not everyone can handle having more than one main.

Top Bottom