• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U I'm not enjoying a single mode out of this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why don't you just buy a PS4 and inFamous?

With unlocking EVERYTHING, I mean trophies and customs too. Is not lazy to don't want to do 50+ hours of repetitive, boring, sometimes broken (Lucina cruel mode challenge?) tasks over and over. It's called having something better to do in life. I like the multiplayer. I play Smash Bros. since it came out. Repeating the classic mode 51 times is simply NOT FUN. But you'll probably don't get it again and act like pathetic butthurt *******s once again. Please do, it's fun.
Also I love the fact that everyone is suggesting me to buy an Xbox and not a PS4. The implication!
8 kills in Cruel can be done by back-throwing them off the cliff as Lucina, falling to the edge, knocking some away with a get-up attack, and repeating the process til the eighth one dies. Same strategy works for Luigi, and for Pit, for their challenges.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Well I find all the modes (except for Smash tour) to be enjoyable.
Sure, sometimes the challenges get hard and maybe a tad unfair, but overcoming them feels great thanks to the rewards I earn. If you take those away by simply having unlocked everything from the get go, you'll take away a huge part of the satisfaction the majority of gamers feel.

Sure, you don't like it that way, but hey. The most important stuff for multiplayer (characters and stages) are easily unlocked, leaving trophies and equipment for those with the dedication to earn them.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Special Smash
Flower and Stamina
One player (or CPU) has 10HP and the other has whatever
Do this 100 times for all characters.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
8 kills in Cruel can be done by back-throwing them off the cliff as Lucina, falling to the edge, knocking some away with a get-up attack, and repeating the process til the eighth one dies. Same strategy works for Luigi, and for Pit, for their challenges.
I know, that's how I did it. It was a very fun and rewarding experience, it helped the game seem so much more interesting!

veloS

Smash Cadet
Everyone is being way too harsh on Vintage Creep. He's not saying that he hates Smash, he's saying that the singleplayer offerings of Smash pale in comparison with the multiplayer fun, and that he wish he didn't have to go through all of it to unlock everything he wants.

Which is a VERY fair point. I'm also willing to bet that a lot of the people who were like "well fine, go back to your Halo, lulz" actually agree with him deep down inside but are too scared to criticize their beloved video game.

The fact is that almost everyone buys Smash for the (amazing) multiplayer. Singleplayer modes in fighting games are (almost) always clearly inferior the their multiplayer modes, and are often only there to add some kind of extra value to the package and to help people familiarize themselves with the mechanics.

I, personally, am the kind of player who does everything there can be done in a Smash game, but I'm doing it for the personal satisfaction, not for a pure, unbridled "fun", because, ehr, there isn't a lot of it.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, Smash has always had very weak single player modes. For someone who has dedicated a lot of hours in Melee and Brawl trying to 100% everything because I had nothing better to do at the time, it was still a little frustrating. I managed to clear Classic, Adventure, and All Star with all characters in Melee, and then Brawl came out, and In Brawl, I just gave up, since it wasn't fun anymore.

Which is why I am glad that things such as Classic can be done with a friend now, since higher difficulties are more stressful than fun. At least with a second player, you have greater odds, and the added bonus of the fun factor of working together.

But for anyone saying that any Smash game had a fun single player experience? Not really. It was fun when you first experienced the modes, but if you are like me, who has played just about every Smash, single player just becomes less and less fun with each new installment. Mainly because it was never good to begin with. It was just that I was younger, at the time, and nothing better to do.

(The only thing I unlock in Smash games are just the characters, stages, and music.)

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
It's not that I 'hate' every mode of this game, but they're things that I'll try once and be done with it. Unlocking everything is boring for someone who doesn't like collect-a-thon games. So I kind of understand the OP.

The same happened in Brawl, I never got everything, but at least I had the characters and the stages.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Different minds have different opinions, I suppose.

For me, I love all the single player modes. Even smash tour (to an extent.) They are a lot funner with a friend, I find. Even so, I still think they are really good and I enjoy unlocking challenges and collectibles.

Recently, I had to delete all my data because Smash Data on my flash drive wouldn't let me load literally anything in the game so I had to unlock everything again. While I was slightly ticked, this didn't bug me when I got back in to playing again.

I say take a break from Smash for a couple weeks then come back to it with an open mind. With a game this varied, you are bound to find something you don't like so don't feel out of place. When you come back, keep in mind that the challenges are optional. They are like trophies or achievements so also don't feel like you have to do them.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm curious, who would EVER play all the Stadium mode **** (Target Blast, Home Run, etc.) after unlocking everything related to them?
Who would ever play all-star mode again after doing it with every character to unlock all the trophies?
Who would give a **** about anything in this game except multiplayer, once everything is unlocked?
No one. No one would. That's why unlocking stuff in this game is bad enough, but when it's actually extremely hard (and in this one is broken level of hard, not fun level of hard) it just kills the fun.
Grinding on 3DS was already too much, no way I'm doing it again.

I'm starting to feel the problem is Sakurai himself. He does a great job balancing the game and everything, but then he wants to do more. But he does not have enough time anymore, so all the other modes outside of the major ones are half-assed (Stage Editor, probably the biggest disappointment this year in gaming world after Destiny), or out-right broken (many challenges are simply ridiculous and pathetic how they try to feel hard, when they're in fact simply broken).

You guys probably don't care about trophies so that's why you don't complain. Try to imagine having a character unlockable only through tedious, hard, repetitive **** like that. Not so fun anymore.

Too bad the next Smash Bros. coming out in 2020 will have the same ****ty challenges the game has since ****ing 2001 (I mean seriously, it's time to get rid of Home Run Contest). So much development time that could've been spent on other stages, or a couple of characters more... What a disappointment this game has turned out to be.

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
I'm curious, who would EVER play all the Stadium mode **** (Target Blast, Home Run, etc.) after unlocking everything related to them?
Who would ever play all-star mode again after doing it with every character to unlock all the trophies?
Who would give a **** about anything in this game except multiplayer, once everything is unlocked?
No one. No one would. That's why unlocking stuff in this game is bad enough, but when it's actually extremely hard (and in this one is broken level of hard, not fun level of hard) it just kills the fun.
Grinding on 3DS was already too much, no way I'm doing it again.

I'm starting to feel the problem is Sakurai himself. He does a great job balancing the game and everything, but then he wants to do more. But he does not have enough time anymore, so all the other modes outside of the major ones are half-***** (Stage Editor, probably the biggest disappointment this year in gaming world after Destiny), or out-right broken (many challenges are simply ridiculous and pathetic how they try to feel hard, when they're in fact simply broken).

You guys probably don't care about trophies so that's why you don't complain. Try to imagine having a character unlockable only through tedious, hard, repetitive **** like that. Not so fun anymore.

Too bad the next Smash Bros. coming out in 2020 will have the same ****ty challenges the game has since ****ing 2001 (I mean seriously, it's time to get rid of Home Run Contest). So much development time that could've been spent on other stages, or a couple of characters more... What a disappointment this game has turned out to be.

I am so, so, so glad you have absolutely no input into what goes into these games. I enjoy pretty much every mode of the game, and believe it or not, people ACTUALLY enjoy the stuff that YOU don't. They aren't going to be removed just for you. With your attitude, you might as well give up on Smash and play another game, because clearly you enjoy whining about the game more than actually playing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom