• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm new to Project M. What should I know about this?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I was a very casual Melee player. This means I played it the way I play Brawl. So wavedashing, dashdacing, and all that other stuff goes way over my head. But between now and the Smash 4 release, on the occasion that we have a Project M tourney in my area, I want to be prepared.

Where do I begin?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Start with the fundamentals; spacing, baiting, reading & etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

just start fucking everything that moves as hard as you can and you'll git gud real fastlike

Just play smart. In this game you can actually pick your favorite character and it's highly likely you'll perform well because everyone is viable. Just explore movesets a little bit, most moves link into another. Remember to have fun though!

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
DISCLAIMER: I'm not good at this game, take anything I say with a pound or two of salt.
I like to train, I guess for lack of a better word. Practice L-canceling and short hops, Wavedashing, Maneuvering off stage. If you get really into the game you can look at the hitboxes and frame data pretty easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeBZWtvGl_w Here's a good tutorial for using Brawlbox to find framestuff.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I was a very casual Melee player. This means I played it the way I play Brawl. So wavedashing, dashdacing, and all that other stuff goes way over my head. But between now and the Smash 4 release, on the occasion that we have a Project M tourney in my area, I want to be prepared.

Where do I begin?
Hate your enemies.

Don't hate the players, but hate the characters. Hate them so much that you want to inflict pain on them.

Proceed to inflict as much pain on them as possible.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I would focus on what ez said, fundamentals. Practice your spacing, reading and knowing your characters threw and threw before worrying about wavedashing.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Just play smart. In this game you can actually pick your favorite character and it's highly likely you'll perform well because everyone is viable. Just explore movesets a little bit, most moves link into another. Remember to have fun though!
This is precisely why I can't play Brawl anymore. I'm a stubborn Ike main. No way in hell am I moving to a top tier just to win. I want to use my favorite characters. Project M has spoiled me so much I can't get into Brawl like I used to. I would much rather play this, but I would also like to get good at it while using whoever I like.

Anyway, someone sent me a guide of terms, so I'm guessing that's a good place to start. Are there any strong tutorial videos worth watching?

I'll probably end up practicing against the A.I. in the meantime. I got some buddies I used to go to tournaments with. They come over sometime, so we'll probably just all practice with one another.

Last edited:
This is precisely why I can't play Brawl anymore. I'm a stubborn Ike main. No way in hell am I moving to a top tier just to win. I want to use my favorite characters. Project M has spoiled me so much I can't get into Brawl like I used to. I would much rather play this, but I would also like to get good at it while using whoever I like.

Anyway, someone sent me a guide of terms, so I'm guessing that's a good place to start. Are there any strong tutorial videos worth watching?

I'll probably end up practicing against the A.I. in the meantime. I got some buddies I used to go to tournaments with. They come over sometime, so we'll probably just all practice with one another.
When I first started playing this game, I'd watch streams and try to emulate the combos that players would use, if they played characters I've played, and it worked for the most part.

I learned about tech skill by watching a video called "Melee Introduction" by Cosmowright on Youtube. It really made everything seem a lot less overwhelming.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I recommend watching these videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7FLjIqPbmhWNfClQTNg_rZTMIq-yW8w

They were made using Melee and Brawl but just about everything in them should apply to Project M and it will give you a really good starting place for your fundamentals.
For real though. These are the videos. Other than that just watch a lot of top level players and see what you can gleam off them.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Hate your enemies.

Don't hate the players, but hate the characters. Hate them so much that you want to inflict pain on them.

Proceed to inflict as much pain on them as possible.
No, because then, that's how we get all this redic bais.

Top Bottom