• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm just not feeling it... ;_;

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
I've had a very bad day with Shulk. I was playing with a friend and every time I played Shulk, I'd lose. Did just fine with Little Mac, did just fine with Sonic, completely wrecked with Ness, and I even did fine with Villager. I don't even play Villager and I won with him. But Shulk? Nope. Lost every time. He was being Falco and Lucario, but mostly Lucario. I have to say, I've been feeling very discouraged about Shulk. I love Shulk, I love Xenoblade Chronicles, and Shulk was 2nd on my list of newcomers I was excited for (Little Mac was 1st), but....I really feel like I just suck with him. I really really wanna get better though. In Records, it says that Shulk is my favorite character because of just how much I've been practicing with him, but Shulk is also matched with all the negatives too like most losses and most falls. I'm just not feeling it with Shulk ;_; And I would LOVE to play some other Shulks and see how they play him and learn some things, but unfortunately, NO ONE plays Shulk in For Glory. I've ran into a total of 3 Shulks. 3 out of 533 online battles. So it seems like no one else is playing Shulk either, which makes me wonder.....Do I just suck with Shulk or is Shulk just a bad character in general? It'd be a different story if I was having trouble with Sheik or something, because there's PLENTY of Sheiks online I can learn from. But Shulk players are apparently very rare. I remember seeing a very early Japanese tier list that ranked Shulk almost at the very bottom. At first I thought it was bull crap because it's way to early to judge characters yet, but maybe the list wasn't totally wrong.....

I also feel like I could possibly be much better with Shulk if I had a c-stick. I used to play Marth in Brawl, but I haven't been playing him in this game is because I can't use a c-stick....and because he feels nerfed, but mostly the c-stick.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Shulk doesn't need a C-stick as bad because N-air is love & N-air is life, & you don't need a C-stick to space your N-air with in the first place. I would rather say you'll have a better time playing on the WiiU because of a control stick & not a circle pad.

And I don't think you have to play against Shulks on FG in a ditto to understand Shulk better. If you feel that way about it though, check up with other Shulk players from the Skype Group & talk to them in getting some matches with them. They're chill & wouldn't mind playing with you giving tips & what not.

The Japanese Tier List is just the beginning of the game, there's more to come later on & no Tier List will always have the same results as time goes by, so you just watch as Shulk gets to Mid Tier.:shades:

Last edited:

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Shulk is a very practice-heavy character, but you're not going to be going places with practice alone. You need to learn the theory, too. Luckily, Smashboards is the best place for that.

But just a quick tip: Buster may be alluring, but it's risky - both because you also take more damage, but you also can't use Jump, Speed, or Shield with it, with all the different options that they give you, such as shorter short hops, longer short hops, better air control, being the heaviest in the game with a really powerful bubble, running as fast as Sonic...

Last edited:

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
What you should do is link up with a shulk player, or one who know's about his general strat, so they can help you work on certain things that you can refine.
Like i love DK, but i wasn't feeling him in brawl until I got with a player who understood him and we played a load of matches

All tier lists this early are wrong or simply too premature

That's all I'll say. What you think of Shulk is ultimately up to you. If you can't win with him, don't force it. Pick a character you can win with. If you still feel so dedicated to Shulk, keep practicing no matter what despite the odds.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
If you're looking to learn from other Shulk players you can go to the Spectate section of online play, go the replay channel, select Shulk/For Glory/1 on 1. It seems like everyone forgets about this nice feature. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find somebody to face on this forum.

He is a hard character to use. Shulk was born in a world of strife, against the odds, we Shulk mains choose to fight. I used to be in the position you were, but with a lot of practice and advise from people on this forum, I think I can say I am at a competitive level with Shulk. He is very fun to use once you get to used to him, and when I KO people online, I love to let them know that "this is the Monado's power!" However, it does not make you less of a Xenoblade fan if you are not maining him. If seeing others using him in action does not help, don't feel like you're trapped into using Shulk.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Shulk is a very practice-heavy character, but you're not going to be going places with practice alone. You need to learn the theory, too. Luckily, Smashboards is the best place for that.

But just a quick tip: Buster may be alluring, but it's risky - both because you also take more damage, but you also can't use Jump, Speed, or Shield with it, with all the different options that they give you, such as shorter short hops, longer short hops, better air control, being the heaviest in the game with a really powerful bubble, running as fast as Sonic...
I'm a new Shulk player. Practice what? The Bairs, Fairs, and Nairs?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
^^^ Wow, that is a really good Shulk. I just wish I was better at fast falling. That seems to be what makes the Jump art so good for rushing down. I guess I should practice switching Arts while recovering too.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Shulk doesn't need a C-stick as bad because N-air is love & N-air is life, & you don't need a C-stick to space your N-air with in the first place. I would rather say you'll have a better time playing on the WiiU because of a control stick & not a circle pad.

And I don't think you have to play against Shulks on FG in a ditto to understand Shulk better. If you feel that way about it though, check up with other Shulk players from the Skype Group & talk to them in getting some matches with them. They're chill & wouldn't mind playing with you giving tips & what not.

The Japanese Tier List is just the beginning of the game, there's more to come later on & no Tier List will always have the same results as time goes by, so you just watch as Shulk gets to Mid Tier.:shades: To add onto it, Mega Man is garbage tier, yet recently he has a tactic of using leaf shield, going off-stage to deal weak knockback but enough to flinch, & footstool them, gimping in the process. And that's a decent option for the Super Fighting Robot.:upsidedown:
Megaman trash tier? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q95wzlLM83k

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Bummer, it was a day after what I said. Had I watched this video the day after I posted that, I would of edited my post regarding to Mega Man. Owell edited anyways because after playing my friend's Mega Man in 1v1 for so many matches, I'm convinced he's not trash. I'd like to think he can go borderline mid-tier overall.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Bummer, it was a day after what I said. Had I watched this video the day after I posted that, I would of edited my post regarding to Mega Man. Owell edited anyways because after playing my friend's Mega Man in 1v1 for so many matches, I'm convinced he's not trash. I'd like to think he can go borderline mid-tier overall.
I think a lot of characters have hidden potential. I mean people are judging kirby and I don't think hes bottom tier either.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I think a lot of characters have hidden potential. I mean people are judging kirby and I don't think hes bottom tier either.
That & characters are just underplayed, which is exactly Shulk's story of his Smash 4 life atm.

ferioku

Smash Ace
That & characters are just underplayed, which is exactly Shulk's story of his Smash 4 life atm.
I was spectating a shulk not to long ago. He destroyed some shiek player. I remember him switching to jump and gimping her so easily. I was so surprised!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I was spectating a shulk not to long ago. He destroyed some shiek player. I remember him switching to jump and gimping her so easily. I was so surprised!
Jump is dope alright! F-air becomes unfair pun intended to the max.

Last edited:
Top Bottom