• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm In Need Of Some...Advice.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Well, my brother and I were playing recently and my Mewtwo straight up sucked that day. I was getting 3 stocked by his Ganon multiple times, and I had a TON of trouble getting in a decent approach. So, I wanted you guys to share some thoughts on how to fight against a Ganon. His F-Air just destroyed any of my attempts to get near him with that friggin godly range and priority -_- And the Neutral-A shut down several shield grabs. That's pretty much all he does against my Mewtwo so that I can't get near him without running the risk of getting hit with another 20%.

Oh, and anything for Link too? Plays real defensive, boomerang->bomb->jab(if I get near)->grab->combo is pretty much how the match goes, maybe a couple N-Airs once in a while. Thanks!

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice, but I will also be watching this thread closely, because I have the same problem. The only two people around here that are any good main ganon and link. I am now intricately familiar with the brand of smack they can put on the Two.
Any advice would indeed be a boon.

quak

Smash Champion
ouch, i hate gannons, you're right, those fairs and nairs destroy you

tippers i can give you though,

throw alot of "baby" shadowballs for an approchal, he can't deal with projectiles at all. There are TWO things he will attempt to do, either A) he'll ride it out by shielding, spotdodging, or rolling, in which all cases you wd and grab/d-tilt/etc him. Or he will jump over it, which you wait for him to land so you don't eat his fair, then punish him for it.

On the ground, get good spacing for the d-tilt, otherwise your going to eat his jab for 8% and your back at square one.

When/if you nair, fully commit, do NOT hesitate. His attacks have some wind up lag on them, and your nair has very little, intercept his aerial with your nair. Fully commiting to the nair at least gives you a chance to connect it, where hesitating will leave you no chance, and you'll just fair'd again.

Techchase like a *****. Just do it.

Edgeguard well. He is relitivly easy to edgeguard, and you can potentially be killing him around the 70's to 80's after a backthrow. D-smashing works, bair chaining works better.

As for link, catch his bombs, and learn to powershield and triangle jump. Both very useful for dealing with projectile spammers. His bomerang and arrows are both easily powershielded. I assume once ur in, ur good to go, if not, just combo him as you would a ganon or bowser, or any other heavy character.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well gannon is definatly an intersting match, shielding any of his attacks will leave you with so much lag that it will be impossible to counter attack. all you have to do is out space, WD massivly and when that slow turd jumps at you just 'doge' it. Your not going to get a ton of grabs off on a gannon, but D-tilt combs destroy him so i would go for those insted. Just make sure that everytime you get gannon off of the stage he stays there. It's pretty easy to get one 'off balance' ie shadowballs, false rush lots of tilts and the occasional nair. once he doesn't have the time to SHFFL fair you just keep moving in and keep the pressure on. If he decides to play a waiting game great, just shadowball the crap out of him and MAKE him rush you. Wait for the inevitable miss and pound it to him! dtilt to fair well you know. :) Also if you can teck chase well you can keep the bugger in a nice dthrow chain hehe. other than that I don't think that m2 should have a huge problem against him. Just don't rush stupidly and watch out for those fairs!

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
man I hate ganon in this matchup,I like to use alot of WD's,Dtilts,D-airs,shadowballs for quick damage at a distance,Throws,and N-airs

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
When you're playing ganon, you either have to be positioned very closely, or far away from him. Mid range is where ganon eats you alive. Typically a ganon always tries to approach with an fair, but of course he's always going to be weary enough not to get to close and miss. So usually what they try and do is jump around (second jumping a lot too) and try to fair you when you make a spacing mistake. Although he ges these out really quickly, there is always a down time after he does one and when he lands. Time these down times perfectly and PERFECT wavedash in with a dtilt. A perfect wavedash is the only thing quick enough to get in. You might get hit with a jab, but most of the time the dtilt we persevere.

Also like Quak said, throw lots of small shadow balls, BUT ONLY WHEN HE'S NOT IN RANGE TO PUNISH. And also tech chase him like crazy. He's pretty easy to tech chase, and of course is pretty easy to edgeguard with back throws and down smashes.

Another pretty good trick against a ganon is using the downB. DownB actually matches ganon's range, and if used properly, it's not too easy to be punished. Use downB when it's obvious ganon is trying to get a ftilt in, or, if you're venturous enough, use it against ganon as he's coming in with an arial. If timed right, ganon will stop his arial and tumble to the ground, allowing you to start comboing. This is extrememly dangerous, obviously, but if mastered, I think it can be extremely useful.

All and all, what's really going to help you is perfect wavedashing; I can't emphasize this technique enough for all mewtwo players.

As for link, I'm still not quite sure how to play a link, especially a defensive one like the one you described. So sorry I can't really help you there.. :(

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
man I hate ganon in this matchup,I like to use alot of WD's,Dtilts,D-airs,shadowballs for quick damage at a distance,Throws,and N-airs
Lol, except for the Dairs, You've just listed my style of playing Mewtwo against almost any character. Shadowballs make a lot of sense against Ganon though. The only problem I have punishing his missed fairs is thateven when he misses, l-canceling gives him a remarkably small window of vulnerability. The link advice is also solid, but still difficult for me. But, I assume that's what practice is for :laugh:

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Throw and Shadowballs. Shadowballs own ganon, and Mew2's throws own anyone. Another thing is that mew2's wavedashes combined with Dashes make his movements very odd and unpredictable. This is especially effective against ganon because unlike marth's fair, ganon's fair needs to be extremely precise. It'll be hard for him to hit you with a fair if your wd'ing and dashing, because the movements are very odd. As for link, stay close and nair the crap out of him. That goes for ganon as well though, nair has a lot of priority and can be shff'ld fairly fast. Mew2's fair ***** ganon also, because that can be shffl'd very fast to allow for awesome mew2 combos lol. Another thing to remember with mew2, is that since he's not what we like to call a "good" character, you need to take risks with him. A move often forgot about is his down b. One down B and a smash attack at like 80% and its over for ganon.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Don't play mew2 against ganon or link. Against Bowser, ok. Ganon no. Link no.

Top Bottom