• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm having trouble finding a main in this game...

Troyran

Smash Rookie
I'm trying my best to be a decent player in this game, but I'm always getting destroyed online. I want to get good at one character, but I'm struggling to find one that really clicks. I really like quick attacks, but other than that, I can't find that one character that really clicks with me. Any advice?

Also, what are some bad habits that you see people doing that they shouldn't? I want to avoid them as much as possible.

neoKAIzaints

Smash Rookie
Just try out every character in Training Mode or maybe an easy stock match. Get the feel of the character and see if it meshs well with your play style. I would recommend Fox, Marth, Lucina, or Greninja for fast characters. But they tend to need a bit of practice to use properly.

As for bad habits, I'd say using a forward smash Attack right after dodging behind someone. It's predictable and if you're playing against against a decent player they will exploit that. Also be careful with air dodging close to the ground... The landing animation will take you out of dodging for a few frames and that can lead to death in the wrong circumstances.

I'm trying my best to be a decent player in this game, but I'm always getting destroyed online. I want to get good at one character, but I'm struggling to find one that really clicks. I really like quick attacks, but other than that, I can't find that one character that really clicks with me. Any advice?

Also, what are some bad habits that you see people doing that they shouldn't? I want to avoid them as much as possible.

Troyran

Smash Rookie
Hmm..I guess that I really like characters that are good offstage as well, I don't really mind if the character's kill potential isn't the best, but I guess my main things are quick attacks and good offstage game.

Spirst

Hmm..I guess that I really like characters that are good offstage as well, I don't really mind if the character's kill potential isn't the best, but I guess my main things are quick attacks and good offstage game.
Try Metaknight.

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
Stay away from Little Mac, then. He's got really intense speed and power and downright ridiculous kill capability, but if you tend to get knocked around a lot, recovery is a nightmare and his air attacks are useless

Tbh any character is going to take a little bit of practice, but for good offstage game try Marth/Lucina (Marth's learning curve is a little lower) or Pitt/Dark Pitt. I can't say anything for Metaknight, as my total play time with him since Brawl's release is probably something around 3 minutes.

My best advice is to not get too discouraged by online losses. I lose all the time. If I get too frustrated, I take a break for a while and then pick my main back up with a computer match or two before hopping back online.

Last edited:

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
Little Mac can really dominate, but only when he is going good early. Don't expect comeback games with em' but if you know you can outplay someone as Little Mac? You're likely to win. As for overall "Great" speed demon characters? Try out Captain Falcon or Sheik.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
What series do you like? Don't pick characters just because of their kits

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Who is your favourite character on the roster? Play them. I find more satisfaction destroying someone else using a character I love than one I have picked because its better than the rest.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Who is your favourite character on the roster? Play them. I find more satisfaction destroying someone else using a character I love than one I have picked because its better than the rest.
What series do you like? Don't pick characters just because of their kits
This. Pick a character you like/from a game you like. If you start playing a character you don't like/know or from a game you don't like, you might end up regretting later. Unless you are planning to go full competitive, if that is the case then they say it is usually wise to pick top tier characters over characters you like.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
I got the same problem practise a lot with them try in training mode or against low lv cpu's.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
Play everyone you ll learn the game and all character strenght and weakness, and one day you'll realise you have a character with whom you are better and you enjoy playing the most and you'll call it your main.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
It sounds like you should seriously consider Pikachu, Meta Knight, Kirby or Pikachu. Kirby is my second main and he's a really good character.

And don't care about how "good" a character is on paper. Just keep playing different characters and feel your way to your main, it will come to you in time.

Top Bottom