• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm Growing Tired of L-canceling!

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
“What do you know about Smashing? I’ve been smashing since before you were born. Why, I had to L-cancel 15 miles across Final Destination just to keep from getting pummeled. You hear? I’ve been L-canceling back when they called it Z-canceling. Without L-canceling, I wouldn’t have been able to fight off those goons to save my life. It’s been so long, and now I’m tired. Won’t you fetch me some more stock?”

“Oh, Grandpa KirbyKid. Get your own stock.”

Ok. Enough games. I’m here to talk about L-canceling and why it’s so important for Smash. (This mostly applies to smashers who L-cancel). By hitting L, R, or Z when your character lands from an air A attack, the lag is reduced by half. This is <a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE" title="L-canceling" target="_blank">L-canceling</a>. This technique allows players to move more quickly easily ramping up the overall speed of battle. All competitive smashers L-cancel (or they die).

I used to think, “If we’re going to L-cancel all the time anyway, then why have it in the game in the first place? Why couldn’t the lag from air A attacks be halved from the start so we wouldn’t have to hit so many buttons all the time?”

Now I understand the benefits that L-canceling brings to competitive smash.

<!--more-->1) The speed L-canceling brings to a players movement is a clear indicator of a more advanced player. Players who don’t L-cancel generally don’t look as active as players who do. L-canceling, as well as other technical skills, can be used to flex one’s “technical muscles.” In this way, the ability and skill levels of a player can be gauged.

2) Because the competitive smasher has to keep up with L-canceling throughout the entire match, their character’s speed becomes a clear indicator of their level of focus and stamina. It’s obvious when my enemies start to grow tired because they start missing L-cancels and they begin moving more slowly. When this happens, I know I can take advantage of my opponent’s state of weaknesses.

In a real fight you would be able to clearly see how tired your opponent is by the look on their face and how their body moved. But while playing a video game, it’s important to keep your eyes on the screen. Even if you do take a peek at your opponent next to you, you might not be able to tell how tired they are because us gamers generally look like zombies when we’re absorbed into a game. Seeing fatigue through character movement brings that element of a real fight to Smash.

All of this falls into the game design philosophy [the more visual the game is the better]. In the meantime, I’ll be L-canceling whenever I can and probably getting tired of it too. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

S

Someone

Now you’ve revealed it, crouch-canceling no longer has the effect for more experienced players who worked it out themselves. I hope I don’t sound harsh.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^
Don’t worry, you can never sound as harsh as I do. I call it the KirbyKid Buffer.
Also, did you mean to say crouch-canceling? If you did, I don’t understand you comment.

M

METROID MAN

^^^
KirbyKid….or maybe Grandpa KirbyKid?

I love smash and all but, what exactly is L canceling? Is it just putting up your shield for a minute after being air attacked?
And what about crouch cancelling?
ITS SO HIGH TECH!

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^^
Yo Metroid Man:
All of your questions can be answered if you look here and no further.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

watch all 3 parts

M

monkey fecies

step it up kirbykid? I dont see you writing posts scifiguy.

E

Emilio

i never knew about l canceling or crouching no wonder im bad against my neiighbor

U

UndrDog

Aw, the cliche ending is so cute. You trying to win some sort of award. ^_^

Regardless we might now be seeing L-Canceling in Brawl. The evidence against it is laughable at best but still. It’s rather apparent that shielding is completely changed. Perhaps to the extent that the term “shielding” is no longer applicable. We’ll see how it all pans out.

M

Master Makoku

I’ve never known about l-canceling or crouch-canceling until now so its cool that u share ur knowledge. Maybe ill use these techniques now.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^
SciFiGuy:
It’s pointless to try and fight me like this.
1) Though Smashboard people know about L-canceling, they don’t necessarily know why it’s important or how deep it is. One can use the technique without complete knowledge of course.
2) My article was about fatiguing, not simply L-canceling.
3) I try to write to the hardcore and the casuals. This includes smashboard people and everyone else..

Step it up? Didn’t I already advise taking two steps back?

F

Fmatt

There we go with the assumptions again. If you were to actually ask all the people on smashboards about l cancelling many of them would know the term and still have no ieda what it is, hence the topics that still show up titled “help with l-canceling” or “l-canceling how do I do it” or “timing for l-canceling”. Many advanced people however do know about the technique and this article emphasizes the fatigue of the technique. Since “we”, most likely a reference to advanced players, “all know what it does and do it, why doesn’t sakurai just incorporate it into the game instead of us preforming the physical action?” I believe is what KirbyKid is trying to get across. It just so happens that he enlightened a few people who didn’t know what it was along the way.

F

Fmatt

“Everyone who is a true smasher knows aall about l-canceling.”

I’m sure all the casuals AND competitive players who don’t know about l-canceling will just love that.

There is no category for a “true smasher”. Now you’re just being ridiculous because you don’t want to admit you’re wrong.

M

Master Makoku

WAT ABOUT FAMILY GUY? IT RULES TO DOESNT IT? SCUBA DIVER!!!!

sry had to do it.

E

Emilio

jeez mmmmmmmmmm fudge you ruined our conversation anyways yea i wanna try L canceling already but i dont have the game

T

TSNF

I didn’t know what L-canceling was thank you Kirbykid, good article.

T

TheJesticle

L-Canceling is a very important technique to know, but was this article really that necessary? Why not write an article about how important the update on the smash dojo was today? Why not write about something more important things than techniques, like the pace of the Dojo’s updates and things of that sort. Although your article was very informative to some, it should have been a lower priority article to write, especially with the largeness of this update today. It’s so obvious its important that it’s ridiculous. For starters, it shows, at the very least, that the game is in some sort of development stage and it also shows how the look of the game will be (using the background on the name entry screen), and it also shows an added level of customization that the other game does not have.
So yes, you can write about L-Canceling or you could have wrote about the new update. I, for one, know which one I would have preferred.

M

Master Makoku

I would pick l-canceling. So we can see background wow thats amazing. Oh we saw a samus pic with a name under it. Oh thats so amazing.

You see my point. sorry if i sound harsh.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
TheJesticle:
I understand what your saying.
And to put the issue to rest, I typically write my articles the previous night before the next day’s update. If I had a time machine, I would certainly snag the info from the future, and talk about it.

Also, this way, I give other bloggers a chance to post something. My articles generally take 2-3 hours to write especially when I have to do research. I have a schedule to abide by, so it’s not like I can do everything all day.

This article was about something that is very deep that most people don’t understand. It’s not just recognizing that L-canceling is a powerful technique. If you understand the article, you’ll have important information that you’ll need when I beginning writing about Mind-games and how to develop them.

I’m researching information about today’s update now, so (in the words of my sensei)

Chotto Matte Kudasi!

L

Lava

(Just commenting on the writeup, didn’t even read most of the posts…)

Yeah, good writeup. I agree on the whole point about L-canceling separating the casual from the competitive, and being just one of those skills that deepen Smash so much. Smash is just great like that. It’s so easy to learn the basic moves, yet so hard to perfect the more complicated techs. Very rewarding to master…

Yeah I also like the bit about Grandpa Kirbykid… heh, I’ve often thought about how wierd it will be when the video game industry is so old that pretty much everyone’s dad/grandpa will have been a gamer when they were younger… and in most cases, still will be even when they’re old. I know it exists now, but it will be a much higher percent of the population in 30 years or whatever. (Assuming there isn’t a major video game crash.)

Anyway, I wonder how games like Smash will hold up in 20-30 years. Will Melee still seem like a great game? Probably. Will future kids and young people think so? Eh, maybe… it’s hard to say. It won’t be the equivalent of how we regard the original “tennis for two” and “space war,” because between then and now video games have grown by incredible leaps and bounds, where as the difference might not be so staggering between now and 2030. Sure we’ll probably play in a whole new way, possibly on entirely different display devices, but at least we can already clearly tell what things on the screen are supposed to be. (adequate graphics) So granted Nintendo is still around, and people haven’t puked at the thought of that many SSB sequels, we might be playing new Smash games with our grandchildren and squawking and griping just like the scenario Kirbykid painted for us.

(Yeah, the point isn’t entirely strong, just something to make you guys think. Sorry if my little mini-on-the-spot-slim-on-the-research-semi-related topics are pissing anyone off. Thanks for reading once again.)

L

Lava

^^^Eh? What’s with the spacing at the end? I didn’t try to do that.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^
Spacing is another essential technique in smash!

Good comment Lava. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hinting at.

L

Lava

^^^Haha! Mean… in a fighting game. (I’m just jokin’ around, as I assume you are.)

D

dh13

Thanks for taking the time to make all these posts Kirbykid.
L-cancel really does tend to separate the competitives from the casuals. I remember hearing the term in my first tourneys with real players and it sounded cool but I didn’t have the balls to ask what it was. figured it out a few months ago. I was the guy who thought he was good until I learned about l-cancel and wavedash, now i’m improving again lol =)

Top Bottom