• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm confused, can someone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Well, I've been hearing these sort of things for a long while, and from a lot of different people in different places but I just can't seem to figure out why they think the things they do. So, can anyone help me?

It's the seventeenth of September today, Brawl is due out on December THIRD! Now, a lot of people are very excited about this, and their looking to brawl with high hopes. It's a new game, right? That means the playing field is going to be level, right? ( LOL. )

Even if the game is drastically different in terms of it's advanced techniques (IE, wavedashing? dash dancing? L-cancel? edge hogging?) The fact that players like PC or KDJ are some of the best in Melee will carry over into Brawl. How can that be, some of you might be wondering...well, they aren't good cause they just push buttons really fast, that's for sure.

That's something that had been bugging me for a while. I plan on still ****** all my scrubby friends when brawl comes out, no matter how different the game is. They'll find themselves having another game in their collection that they don't want to play with me, and that's how I like it! I'll break your will to play the game too, if you think a new game will level the difference between skill levels. If you expect things to be different

Anyway, that's not even WHY I made this topic.

I want to know, WHY is it that people think that the day Brawl is released every Melee player has to hang up their Cubes and crack open their Melee case and put the game away forever. (This is hyperbole, and not to be taken literally, but you know what I mean, I hope.)

Why do people think that the Melee community has to die out because of Brawl? Look at the other fighting communities. PEOPLE STILL PLAY SUPER TURBO!! Why can't Melee and brawl function along side one another?

Personally, I plan to continue playing melee for as long as the community is around. I'll be an extremely sad panda in the event that I have no more Melee tournaments to go to. Mew2King has shown us that there's still A LOT to be learned in Melee. M2K has pushed the boundaries for Marth worlds beyond the level that the old greats like Ken and Azen ever played at. But, maybe that's why everyone wants the community to just die, the best are the best are the best, and that brings us back to the point I was talking about in the first half of the topic.

So, What the **** SWF?

Blackadder

Smash Master
I agree with you on most parts. I don't like the way people assume Melee will die out the second Brawl comes into our lives. I mean, the game is 6 years old now, if it where going anytime soon, it would have happend by now..surley? I assume that Melee will die out after about two or three years of Brawling. It seems likely to me. But then, people still play Smash 64, but it's only really a side hobby, and not much more to many of them, such as me.

Melee will live on, but Brawl will sort of take over. That's for sure, methinks. Or I could be totally wrong, you knows? :p

Cort

Apple Head
Aside from the fact that I don't think anyone thinks that Melee will just instantly die the moment Brawl comes out, a lot of people pretend that that will happen.

64 is still being played... And Isai is still learning new things in it (ever so slowly now?)

I doubt people will continue to run major Melee tournaments, though, unless Brawl completely flops.

waffu

Smash Cadet
It will all depend on the support of the communities. MLG did Halo and Halo 2 at the same time until the Halo 1 community died down. As long as there is a large enough fanbase for melee we'll still see tournament play.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I think its all going to depend on how deep brawl is as far as a tournament level game.

The deeper brawl is the faster melee will die out.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Hecks, we still see some odd SSB64 tourneys, but after PJ64k that died down

melee will stay dear in our hearts, but Brawl is nothing more than what we've had before and what we need now put together, so, yeah

Brookman

Smash Hero
that's my point, you're all saying that melee WILL die, it's just a matter of time. Or it won't be competitive anymore, and I don't see why.

Assuming that Brawl will be just as good, or better than melee, why couldn't their be two equally (or at least close) competitive communities co-existing?

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
It may or may not die. If ssb64 is still going then Melee isn't sure to die anytime soon. It will, however, become less popular. Thats only to be expected when new installments come out.

Elen

Smash Lord
Melee isn't going to die with people like us around Brookman. I'm already planning hybrid tourneys (or just plain melee tourneys if brawl isn't competitive enough). I don't see how anything will change as far as the competitive community goes. From talking to people in the area and such, I can't feel this huge change coming. (because it isn't) We just might lose some scrubs ^_-

I also agree with you on all other points. Stop making such good posts ;)

DJ-DIBBS

Smash Apprentice
Well FIRST Melee wouldnt die maybe slowly, but like other people said, ssb64 is sitll being played, but it probably wont be so popular once brawl comes out. Im going to miss melee, because not many people will play it as much. They will be overhyped bout brawl, no time for melee. Who wishes brawl date was pushed back a bit, so melee could be played jsut a bit longer.? Maybe im just a madman

peachori

Smash Journeyman
i think the comparison to ssb64 is naturally flawed a bit, because the introduction of melee on the gamecube meant people that moved to the new platform had to play melee. the wii being backwards compatible means that people who sell their cubes to buy wiis or people who just straight up buy wiis still have the option of playing melee. unless they stop selling the discs, but even then it would probably show up in the vc sooner or later.

just an aside but still a somewhat related thought.

HZ514

Smash Cadet
I think Brawl is a very different game compared to Melee. I don't know why it would be so, but if Smash Balls can't be turned off, then skill is thrown out the window as soon as one shows up. There are lots of things in Brawl that could take away from the basic fighting part of the game, so Melee could still reign supreme in tournaments and competitive play. Melee beat out 64 almost completely, excluding nostalgia, which it couldn't possibly win in. It introduced many new things (like buttons) that Brawl can't do again, since it'll be on the same controller. I don't know anything for sure, though, and Brawl might have a huge ace up its sleeve. Once it comes out, we'll find out if it renders Melee obsolete or not.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
but if Smash Balls can't be turned off, then skill is thrown out the window as soon as one shows up.
lol.

Anyways, the fact that Melee can be played on the same system Brawl is played on, means Melee tournaments can be run as side tournaments. And I won't be surprised if the Virtual Console gets Smash64 when Brawl comes out.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
As much as I hope Melee is still heavily played after Brawl comes out, I fear for the worst.

When Halo 2 came out, most serious players said it sucked compared to Halo 1 (specifically because individual skill had less of an impact than things like map knowledge, camping, and teamwork), and lots of the top Halo 1 pros said 'We'll keep playing Halo 1! Organize tournaments, keep it alive, blah blah blah.' Despite an admirable goal, many of those pros who refused to adapt to Halo 2 and clung to Halo 1 (or split the time between them), faded into obscurity.

So, I hope we'll still have Melee tournies, but as stated earlier in the thread, I think they'll be side events to Brawl. I hope that those obscure 'low-tier tournies' or 'all random tournies' that we have now become Melee side tournies.

I'd be satisfied with that.

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
As long as my friends are still playing Melee, I will too. I think that the majority of people will eventually opt for Brawl though, as it happened between Melee and 64.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
As long as my friends are still playing Melee, I will too. I think that the majority of people will eventually opt for Brawl though, as it happened between Melee and 64.
The thing is, Melee and 64 can't really be compared due to sheer SCALE. Melee has a -massive- following at this point, and is infinitely more played competitively than 64 ever was. I think Melee will have a lot more sticking power due to how much more popular it is/was.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I'm resigned to crying in the corner of digital mayhem, clutching my gamecube and bawling my eyes out because everyone is playing brawl.

Not really though.

On a serious note, just close the thread, people fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom