• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm at a loss of words for this character

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I've fought tons of bayonettas on FG ever since release. Today I had a match against one with a great connection (unfortunately)... Let me first ask a question about facing someone who knows how to play Bayonetta: How do I play my character (not sit in her stupid hit strings all day) and not get edge guarded? I mean seriously, UNAVOIDABLE edge guarding. Idk what it is. I've fought good players on FG before, heck I've even faced pro level players on there and I've never been bent over so hard by a *decent* player.

No matter what I did (even with the ledge get up invincibility) I would just keep getting thrown back off the stage. Keep in mind this guy was only playing Bayonetta the whole time. Initially, when Bayo was released I thought "yeah, witch time is pretty annoying but, w/e" - After today I have a whole new perspective. I was killed so early (around 15-20%) from her spammy hit string off the top of the stage. Maybe I'm DI'ing wrong, but it doesn't matter because good players will read DI eventually, and that alone is scary. So basically Bayonetta has a meta-knight up air string like combo, except it looks even easier to land. This guy landed about 3 of them over the course of me playing against him.

Oh, and PS: To the people who don't think Bayo will be AT LEAST high tier then wow. I also find it funny how Zero thought Bayonetta wasn't that good.

Last edited:

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
She's very fun to play regardless of her place on the tier list :p

I did a combo today where I carried the opponent to the upper blastzone with a witch twist and for some reason I was able to up air right out of it with really no delay. About a 20% to death lol

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Social thread please! Thank you!

Also, make sure to mix up your recovery, and recover high if you can. She has less tools for a high landing, but it is still a disadvantage.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Ok, so I've fought tons of bayonettas on FG ever since release. Today I had a match against one with a great connection (unfortunately)... Let me first ask a question about facing someone who knows how to play Bayonetta: How do I play my character (not sit in her stupid hit strings all day) and not get edge guarded? I mean seriously, UNAVOIDABLE edge guarding. Idk what it is. I've fought good players on FG before, heck I've even faced pro level players on there and I've never been bent over so hard by a *decent* player.

No matter what I did (even with the ledge get up invincibility) I would just keep getting thrown back off the stage. Keep in mind this guy was only playing Bayonetta the whole time. Initially, when Bayo was released I thought "yeah, witch time is pretty annoying but, w/e" - After today I have a whole new perspective. I was killed so early (around 15-20%) from her spammy hit string off the top of the stage. Maybe I'm DI'ing wrong, but it doesn't matter because good players will read DI eventually, and that alone is scary. So basically Bayonetta has a meta-knight up air string like combo, except it looks even easier to land. This guy landed about 3 of them over the course of me playing against him.

Oh, and PS: To the people who don't think Bayo will be AT LEAST high tier then wow. I also find it funny how Zero thought Bayonetta wasn't that good.
Edgeguard who? With what? It's difficult to comment properly without the relevant facts but here are some basics.

For witch time edgeguard, if you're at max distance you're screwed, it's a guaranteed kill if they don't screw up. If you're closer, you can mix it up with a fast up B or waiting until you're lower, as Witch Time has to be predicted with if they also want to kill you afterwards. As for the B charge edgeguard, air dodge at the correct time. Same with the dair spike edgeguard. Going low also helps. But again, because you didn't even mention your character isn't this just useless whine as there's no way I can help you at all?

As for "her spammy hit string", what is it exactly? You DI different combos in different ways. Generally, DI down-away gets you out of most things or at the very least makes them have to react to side switches. DI down-away is usually good vs the first up B and they at least require a different timing so you can mix that up with different DIs, for instance down-against usually makes combos done with timing vs down-away drop. However, after the second up B, when they do the forward B again, if you DI that forward B against, they will not be able to up air you afterwards. At those low %s you also can usually air dodge after the first forward B against most people. Also, at least in training mode DI down-against at 30% makes up B -> double jump forward -> forward B such that you are unable to follow up with up B afterwards. And the buffered double jump forward -> immediate forward B is something I consider "advanced" and don't see many doing anyway so if they can't do this it's not relevant.

But again, if you have your character and the exact specific combo and the %s I can tell you which move you want to DI towards which direction and it'd be important to know which specific combos they go for and if they have multiple ones they know. Most only seem to have one and if it's up B -> fB -> fB, just DI down-away and air dodge after the first forward B, holding the same DI as you will DI down-against on the second forward B in case it happens to combo and at least then escape the combo(bair can be air dodged). Note these forward B forward B combos become un-DIable at high %s but at that point you can DI down-away and get away right off the up B.

As for getting on the stage, the exact moves and character would again help. If you get "thrown" off you avoid it just like you avoid every other throw. She doesn't have any permanent hitboxes that you could get hit by while getting on the stage so you just got outplayed, I'd say.

But anyway, isn't the thing that Bayonetta has good combos acknowledged by the people that don't think she's that good? It's mostly her weak neutral and weakness to shield that would be the issues. For instance, what exactly are you constantly getting opened up with that allows you to get combod like that? Do you know how to punish grounded forward B, aerial forward B and aerial down-forward B? None of these are safe all the time. Apart from that there's up B you primarily need to watch out for, her normals and aerials are all slow.

She's very fun to play regardless of her place on the tier list :p

I did a combo today where I carried the opponent to the upper blastzone with a witch twist and for some reason I was able to up air right out of it with really no delay. About a 20% to death lol
It doesn't combo, you can air dodge before the up air. Doing "combos" that aren't true up there is extremely risky because the opponent can just use some quick move and kill you off the top instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom