• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a new ivy main... Things I should know?

Pάρί

Smash Apprentice
I just started maining Ivysaur and I had some questions I hope someone could answer.

How do you get Solar Beam charged fast(er)?

Should I be wavedashing?

Is Down B good?

What are the best ways to land Solar Beam?

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
- Uthrow, uair, dair, and usmash all charge solar beam if you hit with the bulb directly.

- Ivysaur's wavedash is good but it isn't necessarily vital to her game. Wavelanding is, however, so you should definitely try to get really good at that.

- Seed Bombs are good. You shouldn't use them in neutral because they have a ton of lag, but you can juggle people with them after a throw when uair won't reach and they're generally good for harassing opponents high up and away from the stage. If seed bomb connects on the way down in the air you can vine whip them if you're quick about it.

- Personally I still forget to solar beam a lot when I have the charge lol. Some good setups are:
-- dthrow -> solar beam (your most common one, if they di toward you you can just vine whip them instead)
-- dash attack -> solar beam (the easiest one to get along with dthrow)
-- uair -> solar beam
-- dair -> solar beam
-- dtilt -> solar beam
-- utilt -> solar beam
-- usmash -> solar beam
-- tipper fair -> solar beam
-- SOMETIMES vine whip -> solar beam (actually idk if you can still true combo this in 3.5 but even if they're out of hitstun as long as you get them before they get out tumble it shouldn't matter)

One other thing, if you're picking up Ivysaur make sure you master RAR. You should basically be able to do it as fast as possible on command. Ivy doesn't have too many reliable ways to KO outright so getting in a quick bair to set up for an edgeguard is crucial for closing out stocks.

Last edited:

EarthMLG

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earthu
3DS FC
1693-2889-1535
For me personally I like using the seed bombs and directing them to my opponent this gives me many more options and makes my opponent more wary. ^^ look at that and practice what you see up there

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Use your dair for recoveries. I don't see many ivy mains doing this when they first start with the character. Learn to dair and waveland on ledges, as that's very useful too.

Last edited:

mayami

Smash Rookie
-her pivot grab is her best grab imo, fastest start up of all her grabs. standing grab starts up pretty slow so dont grab out of shield too much. i usually only grab after my opponent's caught in razorleaf
-n-air out of shield is pretty useful against characters that like to be overwhelmingly aggressive
-rar b-air is amazing off stage, but on stage alot of characters can crouch cancel and punish it to high percentages (i think)
-waveland off platform and b-air
-run off stage and b-air oppenent into stage spike
-run off stage and immediately d-air spikes, small sweetspot tho.
-u-air basically makes ivy a hit box as she falls, this can spike
-razorleaf is very necessary but can be power shielded and turn around on ivy. marios cape does the same
-bturning is fun and very useful
-wavedash back into a f-tilt
-ledge drop jump waveland onto stage with a f-tilt
-ledge drop jump back with a f-air and recover
-ledge drop and rise onto the stage with n-air l-cancel followed into an u-tilt into u-air etc. (i usually dont do this often, just something to switch up my recovery)
-d-smash has the quickest start up i believe, good at ledge guarding. d-smashing a heavy character thats crouch cancelling at a high percentage sends them pretty far

mayami

Smash Rookie
It takes a total of 18 'ticks' to gain a full solar beam:
·u-smash gains 9 ticks
·u-air is 6 ticks
·d-air is 5 ticks
·pummel is 1 tick
·synthesize is 1 tick per point healed

Last edited:

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet
It takes a total of 18 'ticks' to gain a full solar beam:
·u-smash gains 9 ticks
·u-air is 6 ticks
·d-air is 5 ticks
·pummel is 1 tick
·synthesize is 1 tick per point healed
Actually with 3.5 it's actually 22 ticks, I'm pretty sure it was a a nerf to compensate for uthrow.

Lowell

Smash Rookie
Don't be afraid to use the Up B in combat. If it sweet spots it can kill at early percents.

Top Bottom