• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'll need to know about my opponents to help my friends:Ike Match-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
So I saw this in the Lil Mac thread, so I wanted to add it here.
Top Questions:
1. Who do you think will be Ike's easiest matchups? And why?
2. Who do you think will be Ike's worst matchups? And why?
3. Will the For Glory FD stages better or worsen his match ups?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
As a person who is ready to jump the gun and start calling match-ups and discussing tier placing for characters he wants to main ... I refuse to partake in any of this with regards to Ike until I have definitive proof he's received adequate buffs/tweaks and won't be left behind in the dust as in Brawl. Care too much about this character.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I think Ike will be better off on stages with no platforms. I also think he will be worse without items, but better on stage with not too much hazards due to his mediocre mobility compared to other characters.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Wtf is a Tina
Reference to the abusive husband Ike who beat on Tina turner.
Also Tina can be translate to mean cocaine which is what Ike (ex-husband of Tina Turner) used to get high on.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
No kidding. What the actual fudge man? Ike wouldn't stand for this horrendous reference.

I also agree it's way too early to say anything about matchups. We might be able to say a bit after the E3 invite and the Best Buy demos, but even then things can change before release.

I will say though that Ike will probably still be a noob slayer. People who know nothing about spacing and punishing will most likely get face-rolled by Ike's reach.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Ok Title changed. If people keep complaining about this thread then I'll just ask the mods to delete it.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm with Lordling on this one. We know next to nothing about Ike compared to the rest of the characters. Until we learn more or see some decent footage, we really have no clue what to expect.

I think Ike, having a huge sword, will actually have more options on stages with platforms, not less. Think of all the Melee Marth matches you've seen on Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, and Yoshi's. Specifically, wrecking people standing above you on the platform. Of course, Marth also does really well on FD, too. Who doesn't love seeing Ken Combos? I know I do.

Ike isn't really much of a combo character (at least not in Brawl or PM), but some good tech chase options or aerial follow-ups would be great. He's certainly not hurting for kill moves. He has those in spades. Big damage.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but your questions are way too specific to be discussed on a conceptual level, which is all we have for a while.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Yeah, like, I can't even say if Ike's range will work to his advantage. Because we don't know if he still has laggy attacks a la Brawl, or if his range was nerfed (Ragnell looked shorter in some of the pictures) or any of a dozen other factors that might mean Ike doesn't in fact outspace and beat Fox and Little Mac, or if he actually does, or ...

See where the problems are?

Last edited:

Dunk Master

Smash Cadet
I like discussing stuff just for fun, arguing over pointless things, and creating tier lists way too far in advance. But we simply have too little detail on existing characters, much less how they function against each other. I would like to talk about this later though.

I will say this for now, If he continues to be projectileless he will probably struggle against quick moving campers and probably excel against close range fighters with his powerful long reach. Thats as far as I could go though and even that is assuming a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom