• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Up B recovery...bad

SinHarvester

Smash Rookie
It has almost no horizontal distance. I mean, less than Marth's recovery in SSBM. Now, there are some factors that could alter Ike's total recovery distance that I'm not currently aware of (haven't seen in any videos) such as a Forward/Backward B that assists in recovery as it does for Marth/Roy. Check this video out. There are a few points where he dies because the lack of horizontal distance his Up B has where Marth would have survived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D533pueDHLc&feature=related
(BTW try to ignore the annoying voices in the background)

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
yes.. yes.. its been said many times... its pretty much like Luigi's but he still makes it work.

EDIT: Ike has a side b wich is almost a combined fox/falco's and luigis because it can charge and it is fast and seems to have fox/falco animation.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
I wonder, how much less distance does it travel horizontally compared to Marth's? Does it alter at all if you angle the thumbstick while you perform it? Are those armored frames going to prevent any sort of edgeguard?

His Side B is, supposedly, not so bad.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
The reason why it stinks so bad is because after he launches the sword up, he goes back down, not to mention no horizontal recovery.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
It's a more offensive Up B, have you seen it used against opponents? Not only does it hurt greatly, but it can help control your opponents.

Ike's Side and Up Bs are generally the same as Luigi's.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
The reason why it stinks so bad is because after he launches the sword up, he goes back down, not to mention no horizontal recovery.
That's kind of irrelevant as far as recovery is concerned. Either you reach, or, don't, eh? And, if any character misses their ledge, they'll fall....so, it's not that big of a deal.

But, I understand that it's a poor recovery move. I'm not contesting that.

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
yeah his side special is very good at quick, horrizontal difference. i'd say use the side B to get back closer to the edge, and if you can't land on the stage or grab on, use the up B to get yourself up. idk, hopefully that will work.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
I read that you can't do that, because using SideB puts you in an unresponsive state.

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
really? that sucks. i thought you could still move freely after your up B move in Brawl now, but i suppose that some moves still make you unresponsive... grrr captain falcon's side b..........

SinHarvester

Smash Rookie
yeah his side special is very good at quick, horrizontal difference. i'd say use the side B to get back closer to the edge, and if you can't land on the stage or grab on, use the up B to get yourself up. idk, hopefully that will work.
How do you know that? Where have you seen it?

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Side B is a useful recovery move, but it does indeed render you helpless afterwards similar to Fox/Falco. According to Whobby, you can charge the move to increase it's power, but it seems to be unknown if this also increases the distance it goes. If it's possible to give it a max charge and go a long way when you get knocked far away then this will probably become the main recovery move.

As it stands now, even if the Side B move can be charged to go further, Ike seems to have a recovery "weak-spot" similar to Luigi's when he gets knocked off to the side lower than the ledge. Thankfully, it seems in general moves in Brawl tend to knock you more skyward and I didn't see many that shot you out very horizontally.

§leepy God

Smash Master
The fact that he can't flinch when he does his up b is not that bad. I mean, if any character that do they up b, they will get hit when they try to come back. But if you deal with edge garding people, I do see a point. But don't for get, he can throw his sword up to hit those edge garding punks.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i dont think aether was made for recovery even though it is techniqly his recovery move but it does a lot of damage and it has SAF and oppent cant DI out i dont think be the looks of it and it might possibly be a spike

Top Bottom