• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ikes up B FTW... and normal b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
<Up Special Move: Aether>

First he throws the sword!

Then he leaps after it and catches it in midair!

Then he swiftly plunges, slicing the air!

Of special importance is the fact that he is resistant to attacks for a moment right after throwing his sword.

He’s not flinching?!

He’s not really invincible—he still takes damage. But he won’t flinch in the slightest.

This time, there are several moves like this among the heavy characters, so watch out!

Oh, he also has this special move...

<Standard Special Move: Eruption>

His standard special move is called Eruption!
You can even charge this one up.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Eruption looks a helluva lot like Roy's normal B.

I think Roy is officially out. But the difference between Marth and Ike's up B, and the fact that Ike is a heavy character, means Marth has a chance in my opinion.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
His Up-b gets a lot of distance, but doesn't look so great as an attack, seeing as it looks a lot like Kirby's final cutter. His normal b, while amazingly cool, looks useless, unless its **** fast, or hits thorugh shields or something.

On a side note: Ike is a heavyweight? Hmmmm, a heavy sword character with fire...sounds familiar.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Yup. UpB seems a lot like Kirby's (but ridiculously high) and the neutral B looks pretty similar to Marth's/Roy's. Only, if anything, more destructive.

Heavy characters not flinching as easily definitely makes them better contenders. They've needed something to make up for their lack of speed (and power alone doesn't really cut it). But we've known about this ever since Bowser's profile.

I like what I see.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Yes super armor. Poor bowser can rise from the depths of low teir.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
What the **** not a good attack? What are you on? He. Can't. Flinch. This means no edge-guarding, or VERY limited edge-guarding.
"Of special importance is the fact that he is resistant to attacks for a moment right after throwing his sword."

It's not going to be THAT amazing. The flinch-proofness doesn't sound as though it will last too long.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
how do u tell tier?
Common knowledge.
Basically how good a charecter is.
high teir charecters are easier to win with while low teir charecters are an uphill fight to win with. teir lists are made by top players or from matchup charts.

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Bowser isn't low tier.... -_- but the super armor for Huge and Heavy characters is a great substitute for fast speed!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aether already sounds as one of my favorite moves. =) I dunno where Eruption comes from though... Ike never used any sort of fire attack in FE:poR. =/ But what's even better is that Sakurai said that other heavy characters also will have Aether like moves, will the heavy characters finally be able to stand up against the fast combo masters? Probarly still not, but this is a good way to balance them out.

clentes

Smash Rookie
This is pretty dumb, but my friend thinks the sword spins when ikey throws it.

Can anyone explain why this would or wouldn't be true?

(yes it's stupid, but whatever XD)

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Well it looks like Marth isn't totally discardd beucase of these two new moves.

Hong

The Strongest
I'll quote myself to answer some questions in this topic.
The real reason why he's immune to flinching at the start is because it'd be too complicated if Ike was hit and didn't catch his sword. Then they'd then have to program Ike without his sword. Just to clarify with people early on this thread, the immunity frames are only until he's holding the sword again. Since they did this with Ike, they'll have to do this with other powerhouses even though they won't run into such complications for the sake of balance.

I wouldn't safely assume Ike will be a god mode top tier yet. Sounds like a character you can pick on until you finally regret it. :p

Edit - I agree with the above. Aether is Aether. Final Cutter is Final Cutter. No need to demolish a character for similarities, especially when you have to make up the majority of the moves for Fire Emblem representitives.

It's close to the original, but will the landing blow still steal life? Who knows.
So yes, the sword spins.
Yes, the immunity only last until he can grab his sword.
No, it's not like Final Cutter just because it's a vertical repetition which carries the foe with the user.

This is indeed good news for power houses. They also may create a smaller speed gap, since it seems Link hasn't slown down at all while nearly everyone else has. Maybe, just maybe, it'll be just as well balanced as the N64 title? <3

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
hopefully, the amout of time that a character wont flinch will vary among the heavy characters. Since bowser is the heaviest, his should probably be the longest. Also, someone needs to come up with a name for this new concept.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Bowser isn't low tier....
umm yea he is...
hopefully, the amout of time that a character wont flinch will vary among the heavy characters. Since bowser is the heaviest, his should probably be the longest. Also, someone needs to come up with a name for this new concept.
lol its not a newconcept its been in fighting games for quite a while... its called super armor. Its in marvel versus capcom and guilty gear for two good examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom