• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's spike?

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
How effective is Ike's dair for edge guarding/spiking someone? Does anyone use it often? And is there a certain hitbox on the dair that needs to connect in order for it to be a spike?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Dair spikes at the hilt and meteors at the blade I believe. I use it for edgeguarding quite a bit when I'm in the right situation where I need to go offstage (i.e. f smash or fair won't work). But to be honest the weak dair is really really good for gimping.

Last edited:

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Ike's dair is really usefull when dealing with tether recoveries or when your opponent is trying to recover low. Since Zairs can only be used once offstage I believe either hit will do unless it is Link or Lucas then you want to hit with the hilt because they still have the option of UpB'ing to stage. It's also a really good tool to style on people with wall jumped sweet spoted dair.

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Tethers can be used more than once actually.
I heard that Zair tethers in particular could only be used once. I know ZZS and Ivy's tethers are UpB tethers so they have a different set of rules. I could be wrong though idk.

That doesn't change my advice too much just aim to hit with the hilt or blade more when dealing with tethers.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I heard that Zair tethers in particular could only be used once. I know ZZS and Ivy's tethers are UpB tethers so they have a different set of rules. I could be wrong though idk.

That doesn't change my advice too much just aim to hit with the hilt or blade more when dealing with tethers.
Lucas can use his twice I believe. Dair on tethers is good but it only works when they tether from far away.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ok thanks for the input! What is meteoring though? Not very familiar with that term.
Meteor = can be meteor canceled which means you can up b to cancel the downward momentum
Spike = cannot act until hit stun is over (i.e. Falco/Marth's dair)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Meteor = can be meteor canceled which means you can up b to cancel the downward momentum
Spike = cannot act until hit stun is over (i.e. Falco/Marth's dair)
To elaborate on the mechanics portion of things, meteor smashes are attacks that send the opponent between the angles of 260 and 280 degrees (almost straight down) while spikes are attacks that send the opponent downwards but outside the angles of 260 and 280 degrees (downward at an angle); the hitstun from a meteor smash can be interrupted with a meteor cancel but the hitstun from a spike cannot be interrupted, hence why spikes are generally more effective at gimping/KOing the opponent. [Source]

As others have stated before, Ike's DAir is a meteor smash at the tip, blade, and arm hitboxes while it's a spike at the hilt hitbox. It's a pretty effective edgeguarding tool, since you can either opt for the spike/meteor with an early DAir or weak DAir -> BAir/FAir with a late DAir. If you want to spike/meteor opponents recovering low, walk-off DAir is generally the best method because of its reach and, if performed as quickly as possible, Ike doesn't need the edge in order to recover if you miss.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Walk off literally means to walk off right? Not jump off? Stupid question I know haha.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Any chance someone could link a video showing how to do this? When I walk off most of the time I just SD haha.
Because you're waiting too long after you walk off to do it. It's the same as walk off fair.
walk off-> c stick - >double jump - >up b

metroid1117

Smash Master
I think I wanted to ask you but never did - did that match lead you to any conclusions about the Lucas/Ike MU? Is it as bad as it looks?
I surprised myself and ended up winning our next set at a different tournament 2-0; I'd still say that the punish game is roughly even and the neutral game is in Lucas' favor, but it depends on how well you can weave around his approaches (especially PK Freeze). I felt like Plasma wasn't playing as well as he did in that WF/GF set I linked earlier, but I was also playing more cautiously when edgeguarding him and utilizing more QD attack.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Any chance someone could link a video showing how to do this? When I walk off most of the time I just SD haha.
On top of what other people said; make sure you don't fast fall. I used to kill myself like that a lot haha! I'd get so excited about getting the edgeguard that I'd push the control stick down to make sure my hitboxes got to them. Not worth it man ;)

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Sometimes on the last stock though it's fun to to an ultra deep fast fall dair spike though :p

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
As long as you're not sitting on last stock too and die first. That would be a sad story haha

#NORAGRETS

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
As long as you're not sitting on last stock too and die first. That would be a sad story haha

#NORAGRETS
I've done this before saaad day.

Ikes dair is so fun though. Gosh his whole air game is a blast with the faster movement allowed by PM

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
On top of what other people said; make sure you don't fast fall. I used to kill myself like that a lot haha! I'd get so excited about getting the edgeguard that I'd push the control stick down to make sure my hitboxes got to them. Not worth it man ;)
I do this soo much Q_Q

Top Bottom