• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's ledge get-up options.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Does anyone feel Ike is limited in this respect? Certain characters can Nair or Fair off the ledge for free and into an autocancel. Any time you attempt an off-ledge Fair is risky and likely suicidal, as you've lost your jump, and if you're hit, you're screwed.

Jumping has been my go-to way of getting on stage, but I'm at the point where I can count the number of times it's cost me a game or a set. Rolling is never a good option, and the right player can cover all of your ledge options. Anything you do to "fake-out" can be punished hard by someone attacking you for snapping the ledge twice.

On the other hand, if you can weaken your opponent's shield with Aether and snap the ledge twice, then that would be the safest alternative. But in the meantime, what other ways can Ike recover from the ledge safely?

Routa

Smash Lord
Drop down -> Jump -> Fair is a nice option. When I played Ike I also used to mix things up with Jump -> QD.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Double Aether is super unsafe, and ill advised if the opponent has a good spike, San vs Holy showed us this entirely

Jump isn't very good, it's laggy and can be punished. Good ol tournament winner. Our slow aerials don't help
Get-up can be beaten, has 2 frames of vulnerability and is usually read. mix this up with roll. You want to see if the opponent is trying to hard read a neutral get-up, as it's usually a hard read.
Roll has more lag, but beats anti-neutral get-up set-ups. Should be used as a mix-up, not primary.
Drop down f-air/u-air should be pure mix-ups, and will beat neutral get-up punishes.

Also, think about just...holding ledge slightly. You have like 60 frames to chill with invincibility at max if you were sent far off-stage so use that time.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Drop down -> Jump -> Fair is a nice option. When I played Ike I also used to mix things up with Jump -> QD.
That's what I meant by jumping Fair. If you go onstage with it, it's incredibly unsafe. If it could auto cancel right into a shield or spot dodge, that would be a different story.

Routa

Smash Lord
That's what I meant by jumping Fair. If you go onstage with it, it's incredibly unsafe. If it could auto cancel right into a shield or spot dodge, that would be a different story.
It is unsafe option indeed. Many don't expect this option often so it is ok as a mix up. Many things are bad on paper like the QD thing, but you must always count the player too.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
Try using instant ledge-counter
kappa
Hey! As a for glory Ike who spams counter getup and defends it on the discord, I find this post offensive! It works like half the time in wifi friendlies, which is all I play, especially if someone's a bit aggressive.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
He has crappy options. Empty jump on the ledge to grab is a mixup you can use if you can bait a shield. Or jab or shield. This is something I have wanted to ask at well. He feels really weak on the ledge

Last edited:
Top Bottom