• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike vs. Olimar

Brin

Smash Rookie
Recently I attended a SSBB tournament held at my local university. The rules of the tourney were simple: double elimination, 3 life stock match, no items, and a choice between either final destination or battleground.

So I was Ike, and a little background is needed on this to explain the situation: I played all the SSB's but never really got into any of them, cept for Brawl. Im not great obviously, Ive pretty much mastered the RAR + Bair, but i sitll have problems with lots of other stuff, especially the short hop(i tend to smash the buttons when i press them). I play with a gamecube controller to.

So I won my first round, but then i faced a guy who was using Olimar. We were on Battleground, and all he would do was stay on the bottom level, and throw Pikman at me. He would do his rolls back and forth, while stopping to pick up more Pikman. When I got close to him he immediately after his roll did a c-stick Dsmash which usually sent me flying away since his Pikman had already done a lot of damage to me. Needless to say I lost without killing him once.

Then a couple of rounds later I had to face him in the losers bracket(he had lost to someone playing Zero Suit Samus). This time I jumped around on the top ledges trying to get off Bairs, and sometimes i got a few jab combos in. Mostly he did the same thing though, cept he would jump up and get me with his I believe Nair, its the one where he spins around. I got a few lucky hits and a unlucky air dodge on his part to kill him twice but I still lost.

Not that I will ever get to play the guy again because as soon as I was out of the tournament I left, but I would just like to know what I could have done differently.

Brin

Smash Rookie
in response to the above post, I tried to shield the pikman, which works but i can't move while shielded, unless i roll, which results in a quick Dsmash from him and Im back were I started from, with him throwing pikman at me, while im to far away to hit him

Mosarani

Smash Cadet
Olimar is the easier character to play when brawl has been out a week.

You can approach with f-airs and if you space yourself right you cannot be shield thrown. Downsmash, forward tilit, back air, up air, up smash; all of them have the potential to kill olimar at under 100% regardless of di, or atleast put you into a position to ledgehog.

Ike is big. Ike hits hard. Ike can kill Olimar at half the damage Olimar can kill Ike. Shield pikmin and downair through Olimar's upsmash and always gimp the recovery.

When you block a pikmin you can take off your shield quite quickly, you don't always have to roll/jump to avoid punishment in brawl.

Brin

Smash Rookie
thx for the advice, but like i said Im new to the competitive world of SSBB, so wtf is DI and ledgehog?

Thx for the help with approaching though. Guess i should work on the short hop

D

Deleted member

in response to the above post, I tried to shield the pikman, which works but i can't move while shielded, unless i roll, which results in a quick Dsmash from him and Im back were I started from, with him throwing pikman at me, while im to far away to hit him
jump out of shield and hit him, it goes over the downsmash.

Atacusbebop123

Smash Journeyman
DI - Directional Influence. Directional influence is when you use the control stick to create momentum in a direction that makes it harder for your opponent to combo you. Other uses are when you are recovering, and in yo're in the state in which you can't use any moves. When you tilt the Control stick, you can use your momentum to go in a direction towards the stage. Smash DI is simply doing the above, plus using the C-stick, which creates even more momentum. You probably knew what this was, just didn't know the term for it (thats what happened to me). Don't cll me on the Smash DI because I'm not too sure on how well it works (if at all) in brawl, and how useful it is.

Ledgehog- A ledgehog is when you grab the ledge of the arena while your opponent is trying to recover, so they cannot grab the ledge themselves ( hogging the ledge so to speak).

In the world of comepetitive smash you'll hear alot of phrases and abbreviations for terms and techniques used in the game(s).

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
To deal with projectile spammers that do downsmashes if you roll too close(my friend with Pit does the same exact thing) I roll to evade the projectiles and get closer, and then I do a dash sidestep to approach and dodge the last projectile. After that I either dash sidestep again, dash grab, f-tilt, dash upsmash or many aerial options since the downsmash won't hit aerials.

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Edge/ledge hogging is the easiest way. Olimar's up special cannot go through you if you're on the ledge. It's the fatal flaw of his recovery. Knock him off the stage, get on the ledge, and if he can't double jump to safety, he dies.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
if this ****** is rolling through you over and over just do running u-smashes.

He sounds terrible, and a terribly simple strategy like that would probably work.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Olimar is the easier character to play when brawl has been out a week.

You can approach with f-airs and if you space yourself right you cannot be shield thrown. Downsmash, forward tilit, back air, up air, up smash; all of them have the potential to kill olimar at under 100% regardless of di, or atleast put you into a position to ledgehog.

Ike is big. Ike hits hard. Ike can kill Olimar at half the damage Olimar can kill Ike. Shield pikmin and downair through Olimar's upsmash and always gimp the recovery.

When you block a pikmin you can take off your shield quite quickly, you don't always have to roll/jump to avoid punishment in brawl.

How wrong you are bud. Let's say you play your Ike vs Starzonedge's Olimar..you'll probably change your post ^_^. Oh and btw Starzonedge beat everybody in his pool at Viva La Smashacre INCLUDING chinesah a few months back...just so you don't think he's a random n00b or something :psycho:. PM me or something lulz.

1 Key thing-

Doesn't matter how you space FAIR. If he grabs before your AAA comes out(which he probably will due to easy perfect shields in this game)... You're getting grabbed..sorry. End of story. He even gets easy grabs from Nair to AAA approach...so OFCOURSE he grabs FAIR. Doesn't even matter if you missed..all he has to do is take one step and he's in range of his grab...even if you somehow miraculously get out a jab you still get grabbed. Ike's fist is not longer than the Pikmin's grab range.

You have to really think when fighting a good Olimar. Spammy stuff that works against other characters simply don't work against Olimar for some reason...it just doesn't.

R A N D O M

Smash Rookie
I'll add this because it appears that nobody's covered it yet.

- Quick Draw (forward + b) approaches DO NOT work against Olimar, because any airborne Pikmin will stop Ike dead in his tracks.
- Any aerials can be quickly countered by Olimar's side smash and/or grab.

Just concentrate on getting an angle on Olimar where he can't use his Pikmin properly. Final Destination is probably one of the worst maps to face him on.

dingostar29

Smash Rookie
I always have to play with Ike against my friend who always uses Olimar (by coincidence). The only thing you ever have to worry about are those annoying Pikmin. If Olimar attempts to attack you, do one of the these: sidestep (not roll) if he is attacking from below you, if he throws a Pikmin at you use down+b (kills Pikmin) or sidestep, charge straight into the fray and don't be afraid of the Pikmin. Olimar is overall an easy character to beat with Ike. Just keep Olimar constantly in the air and stay below him while making sure to never miss with your attacks. Olimar always is easy prey for aether (up+b), unless they are a pro with Olimar.

Top Bottom