• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Predictability

ProtoKabel

Smash Rookie
I am an Ike in Smash 4. I'm having trouble fighting people because I seem to be read so easily. There doesn't seem to be many options for him, can anyone give me some ideas?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Dash grab for shield happy opponents, dash Usmash for spotdodge happy opponents, turnaround grab and jab for roll happy opponents, space with jabs, space with max range Ftilts and Dtilts, pivot Ftilts, pivot grabs, SH aerials to keep opponents out, spaced Nairs for approach, tomahawk grabs for mixups, empty hops into ground options, jumping over your opponent to Bair from behind, RAR Bairs, all general options Ike can pull out as the situation demands. It's all about figuring out your opponent's habits and using multiple different options yourself.

Last edited:

KronoFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikeXD13
3DS FC
2019-9684-6323
Decent mix-ups and adaptability are you greatest tools for not being read as an Ike (or any other character for that manner).

ProtoKabel

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I never really considered pivot grabs. I typically fight against a Villager and a Cloud. Any advice there maybe?

Eliwood

Smash Rookie
NNID
Profchaos243
3DS FC
2191-7880-6989
Arrei basically said everything haha, but don't forget about your Fairs!
Really great move, has great range and power. Up throw to Fair is a combo in early and mid percentages! Fair is also a nice option if you're jumping around trying to land a hit. Make sure to be patient too, don't throw attacks like crazy haha. Hope this helped!

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
You need your fast, disjointed moves more than anything. Certain characters, like Pikachu, crouch under your jabs and grabs. Then you have Captain Falcon and Lucario, whose attack ranges completely disrespect those options and will win every single exchange if you're not far enough from them.

That said, these could limit your options to Fair, Bair, Nair, and DTilt, as you likely won't be using your special moves in the neutral. That's when it's most crucial for you to use jabs to defend against incoming dashgrabs and your own grabs as "tomahawk" moves. Short-hop, like you're about to do an aerial, and then grab.

Top Bottom