• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike... overused?

Parassita

Smash Apprentice
I was browsing through SSBB videos on Youtube and watching a few, hoping to find more Toon Link gameplay, but as I scrolled down the page, I noticed something. Ike vs DDD, Ike vs Diddy Kong, Ike vs... you get it. Ike is an overused character in the Japanese online community. Will it be the same here in North America? Is Ike basically the new Marth? (Wasn't Marth nerfed?)

Miller

Smash Lord
Well Ike is a very popular character among both nationalities, so I can guarantee he will be over used. I have brawl now and I can tell you, I main Ike :p

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Yeah... even if he is my favorite... I would like to see more of others...

There really isn't much variety among youtube videos yet...

Not a lot of jiggly, GW, toony, CF, yoshi, luigi... and more...

elbryan

Smash Cadet
I wanna say part of it is definitely that he had all this hype about being super strong, slow, and hard to use, yet badass. He was always being brought up, so I think people naturally wanted to see if all the talk was true.

Parassita

Smash Apprentice
I guess the talk was true. There are a lot of better characters out there though. I actually expected Marth to be more popular this time around as well, but Ike has definitely taken the franchise by storm.

Miller

Smash Lord
Dont worry, im not angry :p

Im just trying to get a point across that when people know a character that they like, their going to use him.

Like in Melee I use Captain Falcon, Ganondorf and Roy, I play them because I like them. Its the same for everyone else. Like how you like Toon Link, your going to play Toon Link.

Gen2K

Smash Rookie
It's pretty simple; Ike is new character, lots of things to explore with him. Even though there are new things to learn from Marth as well people basically already got a feel of him from they're Melee days. Basically just a refining of his gameplay from the transition from Melee to Brawl so you won't see him as much. Ike is a completely new beast (no pun intended). Also character wise he is more dynamic and interesting than a majority of other new characters which leads to more people wanting to play him.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Marth is not nerfed at all - he is pretty widely voted as the top character in Brawl as it stands.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Marth is not nerfed at all - he is pretty widely voted as the top character in Brawl as it stands.
Technically Marth is severely nerfed by the physics of autosweetspotting.

And btw, Ike is awesome. You should play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. He's by far the best protagonist ever created for the FE universe.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Or it could be that Ike hits like a freight train, and since people are still getting good at Brawl (and you could cite lag in online play) it's probably fairly easy to hit with many of Ike's stronger moves and online you have quite a few casual players... netting lots of fairly easy KOs. Once people learn how to defend well against him, we'll see if the popularity continues longterm or not.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
To me it seems like Ike is just like Roy in Melee. Easy to use, seems amazing at first, you seem to win easier with him than with other characters that might in the end be much better. At Melee's dawn, Roy was used by something like half the players.

Parassita

Smash Apprentice
I was actually thinking Sonic would be overused. And... he really isn't. Ike does hit like the Bullet Train at maximum speed, but isn't he slow? Therefore easy to dodge with swift characters?

reothepenguin

Smash Journeyman
Definitely cause he's awsome. I hope those dissin him have played with him or else SHUT UP! No one wants to hear that. Be careful, there's a good chance you'll be whooped by him too.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Lol ditto what the above posters said. An to whomever said ike is lyke roy lol no. Just straight up no.
Ike is actually pretty good, he is in fact too good for how strong he his. The only character ive had trouble fighting with him so far is marth and even then ike still owns and owns in style as a matter of fact.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I believe the reason why people are using Ike a lot is because they believed he'd be "top tier material". Either that, or they thought he'd work like Marth, who apparently was a very good character in Melee.

I'm pretty sure I'll play as Ike from time to time, seeing as I wanted him in Brawl.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Technically Marth is severely nerfed by the physics of autosweetspotting.

And btw, Ike is awesome. You should play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. He's by far the best protagonist ever created for the FE universe.
Not as nerfed as ppl make it seem. He cant gay ppl anymore with f-smash or d-tilt. All good marths stopped relying that way to edge guard anyways (because ledgeteching becomes a pain after a while). Plus his new up-b move works as an edgeguard pretty effectively w/ its new range.

Onto the topic though. Ike looks cool so ppl use him. Plus he has a sword. And power....

Top Bottom