• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike or Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Foxx

Smash Rookie
Woot first ever post!!!

Anyway, I mained Roy in Melee and both Ike and Link have me interested in Brawl. I was wondering who you guys thought it would be easier to transition to?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I'm not saying that Roy is similar to Ike, but between the two choices you give, it would be easier to use Ike. Link doesn't have the wide coverage with his strikes like Roy does, and he depends on projectiles.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking Ike... to me it seems like he's just a step after roy, there's fast Marth who isn't extremly powerful (besides tippers), then there's roy who is a little slower with his beastly flare blade, counter and good knock back, then there's Ike who is slower than roy with even more power, good counter and excellent special moves.

Link has always been fairly easy to pick up, but I'm gonna go for Ike simply becasue he follows a similair pattern to Marth and Roy.

reothepenguin

Smash Journeyman
Well this is the wrong place to post this. Almost everyone here is going to say ike. Like myself for instance.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
Woot first ever post!!!

Anyway, I mained Roy in Melee and both Ike and Link have me interested in Brawl. I was wondering who you guys thought it would be easier to transition to?
Lol, funny that you are surrounded by Ike enthusiast.

Fire Foxx

Smash Rookie
I posted here because I wanted to be told Ike. I was leaning more his way anyway.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
lol, well you came to the right place.

Edit: 400th post, woot.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Woot first ever post!!!

obviously link is easier to transition to: he has the same moveset that he did in melee.

I'm thinking Ike... to me it seems like he's just a step after roy, there's fast Marth who isn't extremly powerful (besides tippers), then there's roy who is a little slower with his beastly flare blade, counter and good knock back, then there's Ike who is slower than roy with even more power, good counter and excellent special moves.

Link has always been fairly easy to pick up, but I'm gonna go for Ike simply becasue he follows a similair pattern to Marth and Roy.
roy is fast in terms of shffl and wavedash. roy's counter is garbage compared to marth's. ie: marth's has longer counter time, knocks opponent down. while roy's is only good if you know someone is going to use a strong attack on you. and power isnt everything, you cant do **** if you cant combo.
ike is completely different than marth and roy. playing ike is like playing bowser with a sword. you dont know what youre talking about.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Hey there Waltz, it's Eddie. ^.^

I say Ike, Link in my opinion has been downgraded overall, projectiles or not. -.-

That's just my opinion though, based on my preference.

Joppi

Smash Rookie
I think Ike'd be the more easy to convert to from Roy. While his attacks are slower, they are similar to Roy's, and Ike has about the same running speed as Roy, sorta.

comboking

Smash Master
my friend who has played the game said Ike is only a little bit slower than roy! IHO
plus link has been nerfed!

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Hey there Waltz, it's Eddie. ^.^

I say Ike, Link in my opinion has been downgraded overall, projectiles or not. -.-

That's just my opinion though, based on my preference.
hey man, nice to see you.

I think Ike'd be the more easy to convert to from Roy. While his attacks are slower, they are similar to Roy's, and Ike has about the same running speed as Roy, sorta.
you're also wrong. roy was decently fast at least. ike is just...slow.
ike's moves are NOTHING like roy's.
ike's fsmash is slower than roy's.
ike's fair looks the same as roy's, but is slower at startup and stronger.
ike's bair is very different from roy's; it doesnt give that big vertical hitbox range, but is stronger overall.
ike's upair, downair are COMPLETELY different than roy's.

the OP is asking for the easiest transition, meaning similar movesets. link = link. ike =/= roy.
but if he asked who's better, then ike is the obvious choice :laugh:.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you want to play someone like Roy, go with Marth. Really. He'd be the easiest character to transition to.

However, don't do that. Marth is gay. Ike and Link are cool. Link overall seems like he's increased in speed and projectile effectiveness so I get that he's a little better than before. Ike however, if you want to say he replaces Roy, is much better than Roy.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
The only similar thing between Melee Roy and Brawl Link is that they both have swords. Ike would be easier to use after maining Roy.

Typo

Smash Rookie
I think that Ike would be easier to use than Link. Although, Ike is a bit slow, it still has a wide range with its sword attacks, and quite damaging at times.

reothepenguin

Smash Journeyman
You can all "think" what you want. I'm telling you that I "know" Ike is the obvious choice. He's stroger, looks cooler, and did I mention he's a darn nice guy. He is. Ike is a darn nice guy. I should start a thread about it.

AntonieFC

Smash Cadet
Well first of all your only going to hear Ike on this forum. Second I'm going to say Ike.

If you mained Roy it will be much easier to pick up and play Ike. If you mained Link in Melee, stick with Link in Brawl. His base game (Without advanced techs) in melee is near identical to his base game in Brawl. Different animation, damage difference of no more then 5%, and knockback/knockback direction remain relativly the same.

After playing Brawl for a few hours on Friday and playing Melee, Ike really is the slower, stronger Roy.

With less fire D=

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
If you mained Roy in Melee, I'd probably suggest Link over Ike, since you're probably used to losing anyway. Ike tends to win matches.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Everyone who said Link got worse in his transition from melee must have only Up+B spammed, and recovered, since his recovery got a nerf, and his Up+B (spam) got nerfed. Pretty much everything else got buffed or stayed the same (Almost). Link had a barrier of entry to use WELL and to KEEP using well as it took tenacity, especially when repeatedly fighting a room full of sheiks and foxes.

Anyway, if you can't take the extremely slow Ike then use Link. If you want the bone crushing POWAH, take Ike, unless you like spamming bairs, SideB's, or utilts (which are some of Ike's faster attacks).

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
As of now i don't know who would be better...i think they both have advantages in diff ways.

As of now from watching video's, Ike recovery looks hard as hell to edge guard....Links' is hard to as well but more possible then trying to edge guard Ike.

Biggest thing is links prjectiles and spacing are fanominal! i think they are both good chars

rtmcs1017

Smash Cadet
Woot first ever post!!!

Well, either one would be very different from Melee since Brawl is incredibly different in and of itself. If you want to have a character more like Roy in Melee terms, then use Link since he's faster than Ike. Ike is wicked slow, but he's also wicked strong.

Personally, I like Ike a lot more (lol crowd cheer) but that's just me. I have no problem sacrificing projectiles for brute force and a sword with what seems to be a nuke with teeth attached to the end of it.

Ike is definitely nothing like what Roy was. Think of it as sacrificing a lot more speed than Marth has for a lot more strength than Marth has, save the tipper. That **** hurts. Not as much as Ike but ****.

Marth117

Smash Cadet
I'm going with Ike pretty much because you said that you were good with Roy in Melee and Ike is just a slower more stronger varient of Roy but with a different move set

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
From roy, marth is the easiest to play, extremely similar movesets in melee, and therefore brawl. Ike takes some good skill to use effectively, you have to know that most of your attacks have significant pre and post lag, especially fsmash, so don't spam it. Link might be easier to play, his attacks are less powerful, but have a lot less lag, also, you can always dair spam. However, Link's projectiles need to be used in order to utilize all of Link's potential. If you want a faster, easier to combo Link, try out Toon Link though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom