• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike ditto matchups anyone?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
No matter how many people I've plowed through on For Glory and how many different characters I can handle, I just learned the hard way the detriment of not knowing my own mirror matchup. Ike vs. Ike is tough and requires a much different strategy. Constant shorthops, mixup bair/nairs to punish, surprise fairs, and quick-kill tactics like dash-turn FSmash and BThrow off-stage into bair.

It feels so different playing another Ike. I'm hoping I can get some practice in if someone's willing to help.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Oh, you'll host? Okay, then.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Good fights man. I can see why you're renowned. I learned a couple of things. Turn-jab, turn-grab, Dtilt punish, and short hop nair and bair as basic approach. Plus your grab combo was better than mine. If there's anything else I need to do, please let me know!

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Double post for bump.

Good games. I don't think there's really much I can tell you since we went back and forth. Just like Brawl, Ike counters himself pretty well. I tried to figure out ways against counter and got the hang of it in the latter half. These ways worked best:

-Begin aether more horizontally vs vertically
-Start aether early
-Save your jump and eat the first hit

The only other thing I tried to show was Ike's absurd pivot grab range. There were a few times you teleported to my hands. You did extremely well at everything else, I probably learned just as much as you. We still gaming pals here.

Last edited:

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
I would like to play with you both sometime as well. There's a lot I still need to learn with Ike, and playing against good Ike players could really improve my Ike.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Double post for bump.

Good games. I don't think there's really much I can tell you since we went back and forth. Just like Brawl, Ike counters himself pretty well. I tried to figure out ways against counter and got the hang of it in the latter half. These ways worked best:

-Begin aether more horizontally vs vertically
-Start aether early
-Save your jump and eat the first hit

The only other thing I tried to show was Ike's absurd pivot grab range. There were a few times you teleported to my hands. You did extremely well at everything else, I probably learned just as much as you. We still gaming pals here.
Thanks man. Yeah, I'll try pivot grab and not double jumping so quickly. I honestly believe Ike is much more like a B-Tier character in this game. Nowhere NEAR as crippled as in Brawl and still incredibly strong and durable. Till we play again.

I would like to play with you both sometime as well. There's a lot I still need to learn with Ike, and playing against good Ike players could really improve my Ike.
Dude, hell yes! I'll be on to play again tomorrow.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, the matches reminded me how upsmash is really good (kills earlier than Brawl because of no momentum cancel) and bair is much safer, likely even more dominant compared to his other aerials sometimes. Once we have C-stick and custom moves become standard, Ike is going to be annoying to fight against for many characters.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
Yeah, the matches reminded me how upsmash is really good (kills earlier than Brawl because of no momentum cancel) and bair is much safer, likely even more dominant compared to his other aerials sometimes. Once we have C-stick and custom moves become standard, Ike is going to be annoying to fight against for many characters.

Hey San wanna ditto? lol

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
This is Durango's thread. You'll get a lot playing him. I'm actually up later than I should be.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Well, we'll have C-Stick in a month on the GC controller. But if they are legal, his recovery will no longer be an issue. It's going to be a great day to be an Ike!

SmashBurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BurnAce
3DS FC
3754-8538-3606
Hey,

I'd love to get some practice with Ike. I feel like I've hit a plateau and want to break through it. If anyone's willing to help I'd be stoked.

I should be available most of the day after 12 EST.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
this sounds like fun ive been in need of some teaching for quite a few characters but Ike id love to learn more with

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
I don't mind doing ditto's if you're up for it durango, I need some practice in it anyway lol

Top Bottom