• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Discord-Server

Sevenator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sevenator
Yo friends,

I'm new to SmashBoards, because I'm from Germany and I've been using the german Smash 4 forum up until now, so sorry if this thread isn't right here, or if there's already a Discord-Server for Ike-Users. I'd be pleased if you took me to the right thread then.

So, back to topic. Since discord is now out for a while and people started using it over skype, I was wondering if there were any interests in a discord-server just for our Charakter, the for his friends fighting Ike.
I'd like to discuss Matchups, combos, setups and more stuff there.
I know, that most of this information can be found somewhere on SmashBoards too, but even so, something like a live-chat would be nice for discussions for, for example an uncommon matchup like Ike vs. Falco (really just an example).

So, if anyone's interested (or if there's already a discord-server), let me know! I've known discord for quite some time, so I know how to set up a server etc. but I have no problem with someone else setting it up, who knows even more/better about it.
Edit: Here's the invite: https://discord.gg/0bxxoASMJNk7ujnS

Sevenator

Last edited:

Sevenator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sevenator
Oh, that sucks. I don't like skype at all, so discord was like heaven to me, when I first used it. But I guess that can't be helped. Is there like an official skype-group for Ike-Mains? If so, I'd like to join (yes, even though I don't like skpye). My ID: LeSevenator

by the way, this does not mean, that I'm not willing to create a discord-server anymore! If we get enough people together, I'll definitely set one up, so tell me, please.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yep, read the sticky. Just add me at san3711.

Like facebook, these social software applications don't really need to be good, they just need to have the most people already using it.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
Other character main groups have Discord servers. Just because some people use Skype doesn't mean that a Discord server shouldn't be set up for Ike mains.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
I'd personally be all for a discord group. It's a much better service then skype anyways.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
I'd love it but it won't kill me if one is not created, just be a nice quality of life change so that I don't have to leave both Skype and Discord open.

Last edited:

Sevenator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sevenator
Advantages discord has over skype:
  • generally faster
  • smaller (like, mb-wise - especially important to mobile phone users)
  • only takes about 3 minutes to download, install and select the right options
  • layouts look way better so the chat-experience is high quality
  • there are no ads at all
  • it's completely free, you don't have to pay for any service
  • it's still in development, so discord-users can make suggestions directly to the company on how to improve discord even more
  • you're not required to create an account with personal data, since e-mail, nickname and password are enough
  • and most importantly: Different channels on one server (for example, one channel to chat for every Matchup - there will be a folder-system in the future, so the server wouldn't be flooded with mu-channels; or one channel for Videos, one for special techniques etc.)
  • people could actually look up the things they want to know just by clicking on the right channel and not by scrolling up for hours because there's eventually a discussion about the topic they want to know about

Advantages skype has over discord:
  • everyone has it already
  • you can video-call someone, or call them on their phone

I'm not trying to force discord onto anybody, I just want to point out, that discord is the obvious better choice between skype and discord. If you can argue against that and show me things, I didn't think about, then please do so.
Everyone, not willing to switch from skype to discord is just too lazy to install it or to get used to a new software - That's my opinion.

As soon as the new folder-system is going to be released for discord, I will put in the invitation for the discord-server into this thread.

Sorry for my sometimes questionable english, I'm just a german boy trying his best. But I think everything is understandable.

Sevenator

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
Advantages discord has over skype:
  • generally faster
  • smaller (like, mb-wise - especially important to mobile phone users)
  • only takes about 3 minutes to download, install and select the right options
  • layouts look way better so the chat-experience is high quality
  • there are no ads at all
  • it's completely free, you don't have to pay for any service
  • it's still in development, so discord-users can make suggestions directly to the company on how to improve discord even more
  • you're not required to create an account with personal data, since e-mail, nickname and password are enough
  • and most importantly: Different channels on one server (for example, one channel to chat for every Matchup - there will be a folder-system in the future, so the server wouldn't be flooded with mu-channels; or one channel for Videos, one for special techniques etc.)
  • people could actually look up the things they want to know just by clicking on the right channel and not by scrolling up for hours because there's eventually a discussion about the topic they want to know about

Advantages skype has over discord:
  • everyone has it already
  • you can video-call someone, or call them on their phone

I'm not trying to force discord onto anybody, I just want to point out, that discord is the obvious better choice between skype and discord. If you can argue against that and show me things, I didn't think about, then please do so.
Everyone, not willing to switch from skype to discord is just too lazy to install it or to get used to a new software - That's my opinion.

As soon as the new folder-system is going to be released for discord, I will put in the invitation for the discord-server into this thread.

Sorry for my sometimes questionable english, I'm just a german boy trying his best. But I think everything is understandable.

Sevenator
Also I think it's easier to invite people too, instead of having add someone to get entered, someone can just leave an invite link every 24hrs for people to join. I think transferring over the people from Skyoe to Discord wouldn't be to difficult as well, just spam the invite in Skype as well as changing the name of group to announce change to Discord

I was really weary of Discord when it came out but all my friends swapped and eventually I gave it a try and I love it. People should try to do the same.

Last edited:

Sevenator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sevenator
https://discord.gg/0bxxoASMJNk7ujnS

I've decided not to wait any longer. I already set up the whole server, but I can still do things like mod people (for example the mods from the skype-group, if they want to join). There is only one channel for Match Ups at the time, but this'll change, as I mentioned earlier. Feel free to share the invite with anyone else, who plays Ike and would like to join. The link will never expire you don't have to actually create a new one every 24 hours.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
I think if he want a official Ike Discord group we should see what the moderators and overall people here want including I'm pretty sure the moderators would like to create the group so they have 100% control of everything and can be administrator.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can add the link to the sticky topic along with Skype, but it's just not going to be very effective unless there's a lot more people there.

The person in charge of the Mii Fighter Skype Group tried to force us to switch to Discord and that imploded within an hour or 2.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
If anything I think we should try to have a poll to see if people are wiling to switch other than trying to force it onto people. Also if there was a Discord group to be made I'd think the moderators would like to make it so they have 100% administration over the group.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I doubt people would want to just switch. Heck, even I don't really feel like switching. If there's enough demand, then a switch would be natural. I don't think we need much more than a centralized chat system. Extra features won't really do us much without many more active people.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
I just thought... like, if the Discord server is there, doesn't matter much if people switch or not, if it grows organically, great, if not, *shrug* ... maybe just put it in a sticky that has other info or something? Then if over time it picks up steam, great.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
I just thought... like, if the Discord server is there, doesn't matter much if people switch or not, if it grows organically, great, if not, *shrug* ... maybe just put it in a sticky that has other info or something? Then if over time it picks up steam, great.
That's pretty much the plan right now, we don't want two separate groups so that we don't cause a split in the Ike community but if people decide to go to Discord then we'll swap over however if people want to stay in Skype then we'll drop the idea of a Discord group.

Sevenator

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sevenator
The thing is, we need either a lot of people at the same time, or the really important persons moving to Discord. If that doesn't happen, everyone will just say "but everyone else uses skype". By a lot, I mean like a huge amount of skype users in general.

So if people don't really care about what service to use, we could go ahead and use the better one. Put the invite into the topic of the Skype group, spam it in chat and tell everyone that the Skype group is moving to Discord.

By the way, I didn't think of Discord as an improvement, but more like a new beginning. It'd be kinda like a database for everyone, not only a chat. Of course, the main thing is still the chat, but having channels for different topics like match ups or special techniques is just way better than answering the same question about a specific thing over and over again. Even if these questions don't appear that often, having these channels is a nice thing no one can complain about.
A nice side-effect would be, that we would get rid of inactive members in the Skype group.

Last edited:
Top Bottom