• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Combos

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I'm not aware of too many combos with Ike, so I'm posting this thread in hopes that you guys have found some really cool stuff. I'll update this post as more people jump in with different stuff.

Keep in mind that pretty much any Ike combo is only going to work at lower to mid percentages.

[COLLAPSE="Throw Combos"]
U-throw > U-throw (Chaingrabs on spacies)
D-throw > F-Tilt
F-throw > QD > JC+Grab
F-throw > QD > Reverse Jump + B-air
U-throw > U-air
U-throw > B-air (Heavier characters/ Larger Characters)
B-throw > Dash attack
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Tilt Combos"]
D-tilt > U-tilt
D-tilt > Jab
U-tilt > U-tilt
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Jab Combos"]
Jab > Grab
Jab > F-tilt
Jab > U-tilt
Jab > Jab2 > F-tilt
Jab > Jab 2 > Grab
[/COLLAPSE]

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
F-throw>Quick Draw>Up-tilt
Nair>Nair
I think down tilt comboed into up tilt during 2.6, I'm unsure about 3.0
Making big flashy combos with Ike only really works at low percents.
I think I saw Metroid do a down throw to DACUS in a video one against a higher percentage opponent.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Down tilt still combos into Up tilt in 3.0

And when you do QD into Up tilt, do you JC into it or do you just do it separately? I've only been able to JC into Up smash and grabs.

Commander

Smash Ace
Down tilt still combos into Up tilt in 3.0

And when you do QD into Up tilt, do you JC into it or do you just do it separately? I've only been able to JC into Up smash and grabs.
You hit them with the actual attack from quickdraw. The auto attack does less knockback while the manual attack does more, same goes for damage.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
You hit them with the actual attack from quickdraw. The auto attack does less knockback while the manual attack does more, same goes for damage.
That makes a lot of sense now. I think I'll have to play around with that to see if it opens up other options outside of Up tilt.

Commander

Smash Ace
That makes a lot of sense now. I think I'll have to play around with that to see if it opens up other options outside of Up tilt.
I'm pretty sure nair works too.

Jab>Jab2>tilt works
Ally did jab>jab2>grab during his match with Rolex's Snake. If it works consistently that can make for some really interesting stuff.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I'm pretty sure nair works too.

Jab>Jab2>tilt works
Ally did jab>jab2>grab during his match with Rolex's Snake. If it works consistently that can make for some really interesting stuff.
Right, I remember his Jab being the center of everything in Brawl. If grabbing after 2nd Jab proves to be a thing then Ike might actually be able to do some lengthy(ish) combos. If not I'm pretty sure Jab>Grab still works a vast majority of the time.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Fthrow -> QD Reversal Jump Bair works on floaties at mid percents. It's Metroid's signature, pretty much.

Bthrow -> Dash attack is actually fairly reliable.

Uthrow -> Bair works on a lot of heavy/large characters at low-mid percents.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Fthrow -> QD Reversal Jump Bair works on floaties at mid percents. It's Metroid's signature, pretty much.

Bthrow -> Dash attack is actually fairly reliable.

Uthrow -> Bair works on a lot of heavy/large characters at low-mid percents.
Thanks for those, they work pretty well.

Also, I did some testing of Jab>Jab2>Grab. It works fairly consistently even on high %s, but you have to be very close to them on the initial Jab.

Commander

Smash Ace
We need more nair. That thing starts up combos like nobody's business.
This is correct. When you are in a situation where you don't know what to do, Nair is probably the answer. One thing worth looking into is shffl'ed uairs. I think strongbad said something about that being the go to combo move before nair was sped up.

So I have been experimenting with the jab> jab2> grab combo. It seems like it works on every character from low to mid percents. At high percents they can get away. The moment when Ike is realing his leg back is the very moment you can grab; Ike has a god like sense of balance. The time it takes to begin realing his leg back is pretty natural so you don't have to watch for it but it is worth knowing to avoid grabbing to early and doing jab3 instead. Spacing it to work is pretty obvious but it is still worth going over. You want to hit with about the center of Ike's arm with jab1. If you hit with the tip of jab anything but a tilt will miss. Jab2 seems like it always connect if jab1 is spaced well. I still need more experimentation because it seems a little wonkier on light weights so they might need something else to make it consistent, also unusual di might be able to mess it up.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
What about jab>jab2>FTilt? I've pulled it off a few times but missed more often than not because I suck at differentiating between tilt ad smash inputs -_-

(Need to work on that)
That was consistent in Brawl with the slow ftilt. Ftilt is really fast now. I don't really know how it could be dodged after the jab combo.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I agree with Commander, I was able to pull that off in Brawl as well and it appears that it works in PM as well. Jab>Jab2>Grab seems to be working fairly well too, but I just find it easier to do the Jab>Grab that also worked in Brawl.

And yes, when in doubt N-Air is usually a safe bet.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
d tilt > u tilt > f tilt works on spacies at like 20-40%, and can probably kill Falco if you land the f tilt anywhere outside the middle of the stage. Not sure if it works since I don't get much human practice outside of monthlies, but jab1 > jab2 > f tilt might be plausible; other than that nair to f tilt low percents works, and at 100% I had a d tilt tipper to fair on a Falco that seemed guaranteed, and it killed too.

Although not a combo, d throw on spacies at 60%+ near the edge of the stage (not so close as for them to fall off) can lead to them teching forward, in which case you can read an f smash. Worked for me a few times.

Jab > up tilt > forward tilt at medium % or spacies too.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Dair on on a grounded opponent to sweetspot bair/fair is Ike's version of stomp --> knee at around 70-80% and up. Hitstun on the dair v/s grounded opponent (meteor/spike hit, not the lingering hitbox) is RIDICULOUS.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Over Winter Break, I was experimenting with just regular ol' jump cancel grabs out of dashing and figured that Ike has a psuedo chain grab on mid/light weights.

D-throw -> dash -> JC Grab and repeat. You can get like 3 reps of D-throw on Mario for example before throwing your F-tilt out.

I was playing a Pikachu the other day and practically 0-death em one stock with a series of chain grab and tech chasing with my throws for damage racking.

Commander

Smash Ace
Over Winter Break, I was experimenting with just regular ol' jump cancel grabs out of dashing and figured that Ike has a psuedo chain grab on mid/light weights.

D-throw -> dash -> JC Grab and repeat. You can get like 3 reps of D-throw on Mario for example before throwing your F-tilt out.

I was playing a Pikachu the other day and practically 0-death em one stock with a series of chain grab and tech chasing with my throws for damage racking.
I actually heard about this on the subreddit but the person didn't give a lot of info and just said "Ike's chain grab". How consistent is this and what stops it from working?

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Fast Fallers at low percents can't get combo'd by it cause they tech instead. At higher percents, its possible for them to DI away, but not people don't always pick that option.

You're not going to get someone as floaty as Mewtwo in it. Its mostly for mid/light weights. Basically, the goal of the guy getting chain grabbed is to try to tech the floor to escape.

Its fairly consistent regardless for the few reps you can get for it.

Commander

Smash Ace
I was experimenting on some computers. If they DI away then you can easily follow up with an ftilt or a QD attack. I prefer QD attack because it is easier to follow up. For most characters it seems like it works better if they start with 10-20% when you go for the chain. Nair alone already sets them up for it. Seeing how Ike is going to be all about surprising his opponents it seems like it will be easy to start a few small chains with the throw because it would be really hard for your opponent to be prepared for. I'm going to have to check this out against human opponents soon.

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
You can D-Throw chain grab a few people, especially heavys, I have found. Probably common information but thought I would throw it out there.

Commander

Smash Ace
You can D-Throw chain grab a few people, especially heavys, I have found. Probably common information but thought I would throw it out there.
It isn't real. If they DI away they get out. Use it for mixups and traps.

NQuad1Zero

Smash Cadet
It was always like that. I made a noob error.
Wait, I always thought the manual press QD was the more KB and efficient one? I've like basically never used the automatic one.

Does that mean using the automatic one will always be more beneficial unless you're going for the OHKO?

Commander

Smash Ace
Wait, I always thought the manual press QD was the more KB and efficient one? I've like basically never used the automatic one.

Does that mean using the automatic one will always be more beneficial unless you're going for the OHKO?
The manual one can just can be started earlier and make you hit with the tip of the blade instead. This is good for hairline recoveries but that is about it.

Jynx

Smash Cadet
At some % with some mid weights this is pretty good, if you're fast enough, NAir -> DTilt -> UTilt -> BAir works a lot.

If they DI a different way in which you can't follow up with BAir after the UTilt, another NAir or FAir would work.

Last edited:

Dralarco

Smash Rookie
You can do B-throw to F-air off the stage, b-throw near the ledge and walk off and f-air or jump and f-air.

Top Bottom