• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IGN and the King.

Polyphemus

Smash Rookie
Greetings. This is my first post on this site.

Those of you who visit IGN may be familiar with their feelings toward DeDeDe. According to Bozon and Matt, DeDeDe is utter garbage. Entirely useless. During an interview with Sakurai, Matt actually asked Sakurai if it was possible to win with DeDeDe. Bozon says he beat a DeDeDe user with Sonic about 30 times in a row.

Of course, I don't blindly follow IGN or anything - I've watched DeDeDe in action, I've read the impressions, and from what I can tell he seems like a solid character. So what I want to know is this - how can two people who review video games for a living underestimate a character so greatly? For those of you have the game (or just know a ton about DeDeDe) tell me - is their some odd quirk DeDeDe has that makes him hard to get used to? Some weird trait or something?

I see no way that the King could suck so hard, and yet, I don't see how IGN could be such total morons.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Because they are casual smash players, not competitive. I bet neither one can list the adv techs from melee or brawl. I also highly doubt they can combo for ****.

Pi

Smash Hero
Don't worry mang, Dedede IS a solid character.

The people just made poor judgement, the game was in it's infancy when they reviewed it any way, they probably didn't know about chain grabbing or edgegaurding or anything even semi-advanced, otherwise they would have seen how solid Dedede is.

The most probable explanation I can give you is that since some of Dedede's moves are slow, the person using him probably just assumed he was slow in general and continued to use those moves. Or maybe he just spammed the c-stick like a noob xD, which would get your *** kicked with dedede (slowness) vs. sonic (fastness).

But don't worry, you have one of the greatest smash players of all time (m2k) playing dedede, you'll have lots to learn from him.

CO18

Smash Hero
Because they are retarted. Dedede is a very good character and because they know nothing about competitive smash they really know nothing.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Though I'm hardly a competitive player, I can put up an easy fight against most of my friends with DeDeDe. I'd say that he's far harder to win with considering his speed, but he's nowhere near as bad as the guys on IGN make it out to be (though I had a harder time with him when I just got the game).

King_Olimar

Smash Rookie
Dedede's power is in his Standard moves and Aerial moves. His B moves, although cool, are pretty useless.

And in case no one has noticed, IGN are the first three letters of, Ignorance.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The moment Mew2King started posting in the Dedede threads should have been the moment IGN realized they had made a big mistake...

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Greetings. This is my first post on this site.

Those of you who visit IGN may be familiar with their feelings toward DeDeDe. According to Bozon and Matt, DeDeDe is utter garbage. Entirely useless. During an interview with Sakurai, Matt actually asked Sakurai if it was possible to win with DeDeDe. Bozon says he beat a DeDeDe user with Sonic about 30 times in a row.

Of course, I don't blindly follow IGN or anything - I've watched DeDeDe in action, I've read the impressions, and from what I can tell he seems like a solid character. So what I want to know is this - how can two people who review video games for a living underestimate a character so greatly? For those of you have the game (or just know a ton about DeDeDe) tell me - is their some odd quirk DeDeDe has that makes him hard to get used to? Some weird trait or something?

I see no way that the King could suck so hard, and yet, I don't see how IGN could be such total morons.
They gave Brawl a 9.5 (EASILY a 10) and said the Subspace Emissary sucked. The SUBSPACE EMISSARY, A 10 HOUR LONG STORY MODE FOR A FIGHTING GAME. I've seen basically the entire SSE, and it definitely does NOT suck. At all.

I also got to play Dedede a little a few weeks ago, and he isn't that bad at all. I'd guess in the top of middle tier.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
IGN is the first 3 letters in ignorance, we all know that. If IGN has a bad, misguided, opinion, let them be. Saying Dedede sucks and asking if it's possible to win a match without knowing what your doing means that they are wrong, and us, with the experience, are right.

Corn

Smash Rookie
Hm...Usually IGN isn't like this...Maybe they just played him for two seconds and then decided that DDD stunk. O.o

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I believe some people may underestimate DeDeDe because he casts an illusion of being like bowser and DK. He looks heavy and slow, and extremely huge. However, he has great power, long reach, awesome recovery, infinite grab, and deadly (non-suicidal) jump-off-the-stage-combos. The first time I played Brawl was today at GameStop at a Brawl tourney, I played as DeDeDe, and won. but then I lost when I switched to Wario. I thouht he'd be really good, but he's really tough to get used to.

Top Bottom