• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could trade Sonic or Snake for another 3rd party character, would you?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I was thinking about this the other day, and I really like the 35 roster that is going around. I thought to myself the only thing though I see that most people hate about it is because it does not have Geno or some other third party character.

So I figured, what if Sakurai gave us the option to swith out Sonic or Snake for another third party character of our choice?! Would you do it and who would it be?

I would sacrifice Snake for Megaman in a heartbeat...

They really SHOULD give us this option, it would end a lot of problems. :D

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Sonic? No. If anyone deserves the third-party slot, Mario's long-time rival makes the most sense.

Snake? I'd seriously consider replacing him, yes. He's just... Out there...

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Snake definitely, he's not suited to the game at all, and is only in there because Mr MGS begged for him to be.

If Sakurai was given a clean slate and a limit of three 3rd party characters to include, Snake would be the last, especially considering how low the MGS support for Nintendo is. Snake's creator just wants more fame :-/

Sonic deserves a slot more than anyone, but if it's just Sonic and Snake in the game, I would seriously consider changing Snake for Megaman or Bomberman (if it were ME, I'd choose Bomberman :p)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
They really SHOULD give us this option, it would end a lot of problems. :D
No roster in the world will please absolutely everyone.

If people had the option to swap characters then arguments would never end.

Personally, I want Bomberman in the game. But I wouldn't swap Sonic or Snake for him to be in.

Kruton

Smash Ace
Never.

Sonic is the perfect 3rd part slot because he made it a fighting game that has an established rivalry in it, beyond one franchise.

I wouldn't want to replace Snake either. I'm more biased to this, because I love the Metal Gear Solid series. I'm glad the protagonist from one of my favorite game series of all time is going to be in my one favorite fighting series of all time.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Snake definitely, he's not suited to the game at all, and is only in there because Mr MGS begged for him to be.

If Sakurai was given a clean slate and a limit of three 3rd party characters to include, Snake would be the last, especially considering how low the MGS support for Nintendo is. Snake's creator just wants more fame :-/

Sonic deserves a slot more than anyone, but if it's just Sonic and Snake in the game, I would seriously consider changing Snake for Megaman or Bomberman (if it were ME, I'd choose Bomberman :p)
I'm with SuperLink9 here, though I'd trade him for Megaman instead.
(Why? Cause a lot of people would have preferred him)

Nemar Pott

Smash Journeyman
For the most deserving third party character I would say Sonic, Megaman, Bomberman and Pacman.
For the off-the-wall-yet-popular third party it should go to, Snake, Master Chief, Leon Kennedy, Dante, Kratos or Veiwtiful Joe.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sonic should stay, he deserves it more than anyone. Nobody REALLY asked for Solid Snake, he was just added because Sakurai and Kojima are friends. I think if it was Sonic who was revealed first and Japan got to vote on characters again, I would be pretty sure Megaman or Geno would still be at the top.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember a moment in my life where I was more shocked and awed as when I checked the dojo a day late and saw that sonic had been updated, a video had been released, and his moves were profiled.

I saw it on the screen but I didn't believe it for a minute. I just sat there staring at it. Me = O . O
o

Rash

Smash Ace
The short answer is no.

Snake is possibly the greatest WTF character they could've picked for the game. Awesome choice that just blew people away back in 2006. And Sonic, well, he's just cool, and has been steadily improving in games over the past few years (Sonic Rush series, SSR, BioWare RPG, etc.). Not only that, but now you can finally face-off Mario against Sonic, which is a fanboy dream (don't count Mario and Sonic at the Olympics).

Amaggad

Smash Apprentice
sonic is the most deserving character
id trade snake only for bomberman, i like the idea of him in, he is like a 3rd party wtf character

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Not a snow ball's chance in Hell. Even though I don't really care about him Sonic is the most deserving. As for Snake, the fact that he's in is like wishful thinking made reality. I would never want to pass that up.

krynny

Smash Cadet
to be honest i think sonic and snake are maybe two of the biggest 3rd party chars that could be included. the fans have asked for Sonic forever and MGS is such a huge series now. i think it will bring even more gamers to appreciate smash bros.

now, if i could add a 3rd... not sure who i would add. i dont think i would want a char from any type of fighting game to bgein with. a char that ppl like, but not someone they would expect from a fighter. no clue who. i'll leave that up to Sakurai if it ever happens.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Snake for Simon Belmont or Geno?
Famous icon/legend in exchange for a dust covered scrub? No thanks.

I'm in awe at the horendous lack of taste in this thread, this must be a magnet for haters. Snake and Sonic are basically the two best choices for third party characters, period.

"Snake just does not fit in the game"

Then what the heck am I looking at when I watch the videos? He is in the game, and Sakurai made it work terrifically. A little variety can't hurt SSBB, it can only strengthen it.

Sonic should stay, he deserves it more than anyone. Nobody REALLY asked for Solid Snake, he was just added because Sakurai and Kojima are friends. I think if it was Sonic who was revealed first and Japan got to vote on characters again, I would be pretty sure Megaman or Geno would still be at the top.
Hey man I think Megaman is a great option for Brawl as well... But does that mean he has to override Snake's position? Heck no, he can have the third spot.

& Geno taking Snake's or Sonic's spot? LMAO

No one was asking for Snake, because no one thought it was even remotely possible. If ya didn't notice, the internet practically exploded upon his announcement. The only people willing to trade out Snake, are those who are noobs to the MGS series, or radical fanboys for a particular character (Ridley, Geno, etc).

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
Stop hating on Snake guys. If it wasn't for Kojima getting Snake in the game, we probably wouldn't have 3rd parties at all. You could at least show a little respect to the guy for THAT.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
Hellz No.
I may not be a huge fan of sonic's but he's definitely the most deserving 3rd party character, and Snake is one of the greatest video game characters of all time and looks to be a great addition with the personality he brings to the game. Though if they did add one more 3rd party I think Megaman would be the best choice.

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
Snake for MegaMan, but only because Snake hasn't had as much...connection to Nintendo as Sonic (the whole rivalry thing) . But honestly, think Snake is pretty **** cool and I'd rather MegaMan be a third rather than replace anyone... :(

I seriously don't understand why Capcom wouldn't JUMP at this opportunity to gain some spotlight on their little guy. :( Especially on his 20th anniversary. >_<

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I never even knew who the heck Snake was until I saw him in Brawl. Yes I hold a lot of gratitude to Kojima for being the gateway to allow Sonic and hopefully (most likely not) other guest characters. I am just saying though IF the 35 character roster is true and IF Sakurai gave people the option too swap them out would you and who would it be?

Hence Snake for Megaman.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'd make Isaac a third party character and put him in instead. XD

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Snake is in the game, I know that, but that doesn't mean he's generally suited to it. He sticks out like a girl in a boy's only school. His style is more mature and realistic than any characters, plus he generally uses "realistic" weaponry, and his final smash is a grenade launcher... I admit it adds variation, but if there is ever another Smash Bros game, Snake's home series, Metal Gear Solid, could be dead, since MGS4 is supposed to be the last one. Sure he could still be in it though. (Pit and Ice Climber after all...)

There are no characters which rely heavily on bombs :(

Bomberman.... D:

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
I'd kick Sonic out for free, if they give Fox his speed back. I'm actually forced to play as Sonic because I <3 speed characters. And he's really fast, but I don't like Sonic at all. I'd probably change Sonic for Megaman or something...

Snake is awesome, he deserves to be in it more then Mario. (But Dedede reigns supreme)

Sephiroth_Ultima

Smash Cadet
Woah don't take it like we're saying snake shouldn't be in the game, the thread is just asking if we would trade one of the third parties for another one. It's not against Sonic or Snake.

Yes, I would like Simon Belmont over Snake, but only because it seems pretty much desperate to think that they'll both be there.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
I would trade Snake for Mega Man or Geno any day. Snake just doesn't belong in Smash!

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
I come wielding my "Hater Hammer". :)

No changes, thank you very much, for these reasons:

1. Sonic is simple enough to support... When you grew up in the hay-day of NES, SNES, Genesis, etc, there was a kind of competitive spirit between who was cooler and which system was better: Mario or Sonic? Naturally, after a series of unfortunate events, Sega is out of the console making picture and develops a lot of games for their former rival, but there hasn't ever been such a perfect arena for Mario and Sonic to duke it out. People have had it in the back of their minds for ages, and its finally going to happen. Besides, Sakurai himself alluded to the fact that Sonic was the most requested 3rd Party character... What more do you need to merit a playable slot? I wouldn't dare pull Sonic out for any other character, not even one of my obscure favorites that don't stand a chance.

2. Snake has my support for a slightly different reason... First of all, I support him because of Kojima likely being one of the main reasons for getting the idea of 3rd party participating characters into the heads of the Smash team. For the haters saying that its lame that Hideo "practically begged" for Snake to be in Brawl, I say that you both don't know the grounds for said "begging" other than a translation of Sakurai during an interview, AND that its not as though they added him at the last minute because of said begging; the first trailer featured him in the most surprising way ever. Next, in regard to people saying "He's not suited for Brawl" and "he's too offbeat compared to the other characters" or "his design is so far from the others", well... Those are all reasons that make a character suitable for Smash. What kind of game would it be if it was limited to one kind of character? Imagine Samus not being able to get in because her games are full of darker themes and creepy aliens, or having all Pokemon and Mario characters because they are so colorful and friendly looking. Being offbeat is PERFECT, the more obscure the better, and since Hideo was the first known to actually come forward and make it apparent that he would want his character a part of the Smash roster, Snake deserves the space more than anyone else who comes running in after the fact. And those who say Snake is gonna play like crap... Have you seen this new 5 minute video? Snake is mixed in somewhere in the middle, but the video ends with a quick footage of Link vs Snake one on one... I have a sneaking suspicion that Snake might be controlled by a computer in the battle necessary to unlock him.

If you haven't seen said video, I highly recommend it. Here it is at GameTrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29932.html

Machete

Smash Ace
Sonic outprioritizes everyone. He's extremely important, the Sega-Nintendo rivalry is a legend. If you think he shouldn't be in this game, you're an idiot.

Snake... he's an awesome character, MGS is an awesome series. He's also the most WTF character ever (Unless ROB is playable...).

Although I'd like to see Megaman and Geno, both Sonic and Snake are awesome.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Snake as a WTF character FTW though (lol, WTF and FTW)

If Snake is a WTF character than he pwns ROB in every way, and that means ROB isn't in it! That means the 35 roster is fake! (crazy logic rulz)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Snake as a WTF character FTW though (lol, WTF and FTW)

If Snake is a WTF character than he pwns ROB in every way, and that means ROB isn't in it! That means the 35 roster is fake! (crazy logic rulz)

EDIT: Arg. Ignore this. >.<

Top Bottom