• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you click Nana on the select screen, can you play as her?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In Melee 2 of the colors had Nana in the lead instead of Popo...I'm not sure if this is the case in Brawl from what I've seen

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Lemme test this real quick... *waiting for game to end for testing*

Looks like you are always Popo, no matter your color.

dooky

Smash Cadet
Hmm. On a video I saw a while ago, I thought I saw Nana in front, wearing black. Unfortunately, I now can't remember which video it was. I did notice, on a recent video showing the alternate colors, that the Climbers don't switch places on the select screen when you switch through all the colours, like they did in Melee.

Huh. If you can't play as Nana I'll be a little disappointed. Yeah, I know there's no functional difference, but I like Nana >.>

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Nope, that doesn't seem to work either.

I'll keep trying different combinations, but at the moment, nothing is working.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
o nooo...that was the worst nerf for me, i just play with ics cause i like the nana
=/

t0ki

Smash Rookie
Based on the color changes that I've seen Popo is the only climber who's playable this time around. Ahh well, I suppose not everything can be perfect. I just hope Nana isn't as wonky this time around, she was so....stupid. =/

t0ki

Smash Rookie
woot! that's a relief, i'd rather use her anyway, but regardless i hope the ai has improved

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
They kind've look identical in this game...
so... um, aren't you always Nana if you want to be? :)

dooky

Smash Cadet
Guys: Check out this video.

We have a red-suited Nana in the lead. This makes me very happy.

Before I discovered this video, I was about to make a long-winded post arguing that in Melee, you always played as the darker-coloured Ice Climber... and that Nana has darker colours in at least two of the combinations I can think of (This, and the black/white one). There are practical reasons for keeping the darker one in the lead: they're easier to follow, especially in matches with multiple sets of Ice Climbers.* Well, it would seem all that's changed is the fact that they don't switch places on the character select screen now.

Hooray for this. I'll be maining Nana again!

*Although one of the new combinations has them BOTH in white. Should be, uh, interesting.

Agent 1337

Smash Apprentice
Nice to know that you can actually play as Nana; I started to get a little worried. If there was no Nana playable it'd be chaos; that'd be another character cut from Melee, if you like to look at it that way. Really, though, the only difference is the hair and the parka color, so personally, it'd wouldn't matter to me either way. Nice to see the IC fans get pleased, though.

dooky

Smash Cadet
Found another video which, aside from showing that you can make a completely enclosed stage in Stage Builder, also shows off four of the six Ice Climber colour schemes... two of which have Nana in the lead. The first of the two matches is actually won by red Nana/white Popo.

t0ki

Smash Rookie
Im sure that no matter what colour or costume they are in, you never play as nana, although it may look like it.
Bye the way, im talking about Melee im not sure about Brawl.
Are you dumb, or just stupid? If that made any sense I would justify my claims against it but I thought it would be better just to flame you.

dooky

Smash Cadet
Im sure that no matter what colour or costume they are in, you never play as nana, although it may look like it.
Bye the way, im talking about Melee im not sure about Brawl.
Look closely at the Ice Climbers' faces when you select them in Melee. They have different hairstyles: Popo has a visible fringe, Nana doesn't. When you select either the orange or the red costumes, you'll see that the Ice Climbers switch places, with the female one now in front.

This is what we mean when we're talking about playing as Nana. It's purely a cosmetic thing. I realise a lot of people use 'Nana' to refer to the CPU-controlled Ice Climber, since in the default costume, this is Nana. But in two out of the four costumes, the CPU is actually controlling Popo. And you might be surprised at the number of people I've spoken to who didn't realise it was even possible to play as Nana.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Look closely at the Ice Climbers' faces when you select them in Melee.
You don't really have to look that close, the change is noticeable.
If you ever scroll through IC's colors, that is.

It's purely a cosmetic thing.
There's a slight change in voice pitch, too, I think.

Also, I've noticed that Popo's always in the cool colored parka and Nana in the warm.
Why, then, is Popo in white and Nana in black? I've always considered white as warm and black as cool.
Have they changed this, or is black/cool, white/warm just a cultural thing?

dooky

Smash Cadet
There's a slight change in voice pitch, too, I think.
You're right, and to my shame I only recently noticed this. They do share the same voice actress, though.

I hadn't really thought about the cold/warm thing. If anything, I'd say the colour combinations were inspired by the original designs (Popo in colours close to blue, Nana in colours close to pink), which in turn came from age-old gender sterotypes: the girl must be the one in pink. Not that I'm really criticising Nintendo here... it's more a visual shorthand than anything else. Whatever the reason, Nana's black outfit does break this pattern. It's also my favourite of the new colours, heh.

Top Bottom