• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If this is the last Smash game ever made, would you be satisfied?

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
If they included a good amount of stage/character/costume/music DLC and a new big single-player mode then yes, I would. Character-wise I'm alright, but the rest of what I listed could definitely stand for some improvement, especially if it was the last game we were getting. However, since it's most likely not, it's not too big of a deal if the amount of DLC is light.

If it were the last game I would really like a more even selection of past stages as a way to represent the past 3 games equally (obviously 64 wouldn't have as many stages as Brawl but more than one for sure). Other alt costumes/colors that reference *more* obscure games/games that aren't referenced that much in Smash already (Shadow Queen, Mario Party 2 costumes, Dry Bowser, Pikachu's ORAS costumes, Mewtwo's 1st movie armor, etc) really drive home the feeling of "giant love letter to Nintendo fans' aspect of the series and having more random recolors than references to actual stuff would be a letdown for the last game in the series (and no, nobody needs 8 full alt costumes, but simple recolors can still make really cool references to retro games).

Basically what I'm saying is that if this was the last game in the series it would be kind of disappointing because all of my small disappointments of different things here and there would become bigger because I wouldn't be able to say "well maybe next time".

Movingtarget99

Smash Rookie
I'd be fine with it as long as DLC is going to be available somewhere down the line. Not necessarily lots new characters, but at least stages here and there.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Depends on the path they take with DLC. The game has so much more potential now- the only thing holding it back are its creators.

Radirgy

Smash Apprentice
I'm not satisfied, I'll always want more smash games not just because of that feeling you get playing a new smash game for the first time but also because I want there to be lots of smash games that all do different things, I want there to be options of how we can play smash, I want to jump between 64, melee, 4 and whatever else is made in the same way I like to jump between Street Fighter II, 3rd Strike, IV, Alpha 3, Marvel, CVS etc.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm completely satisfied with the game - it's amazing.

However, I love the speculation period before the game comes out. So, I want one to come out on every home console. Even if it's no better than SSB4, it's still new.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
I think I would be satisfied, even though I don't think this game will ever attain the competitive merit that Melee has. So, I think that Sm4sh is a good enough final game, but part of that reasoning is because I know I can still go back to Melee.

Honestly though, I would like to see the direction the series could take without Sakurai at the helm. I think he makes good games, but knowing that he intentionally tries to make his games non-competitive is a bit irksome.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Takamaru is not a playable character.
Comet Observatory is not a stage.
Mona Pizza's Song is not a track.

That's basically all I wanted before the "last game in the series".
Still, Smash for Wii U is probably the most awesome game I ever played. Ever.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
No Smash game ever satisfies me. While every game is better than the last, there's always something missing.

Movingtarget99

Smash Rookie
I'd be fine with it as long as DLC is going to be available somewhere down the line. Not necessarily lots new characters, but at least stages here and there.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
No, I would not be satisfied. Personally, I think this is the worst Smash Bros. game to date. Don't get me wrong, though, it's still really good. It's just the worst of the best.

Here are some reasons why it's the worst:

- It's split up into two games. Either make it a 3DS game or a Wii U game (Wii U is the obvious choice). The stages, trophies and music are split across the two versions and characters that couldn't work on the 3DS weren't allowed in the Wii U version. So neither game is complete and one is held back by the other.

- Disappointing roster. This the the first and only Smash Bros. game where I was disappointed with the roster. The roster is incredibly unbalanced. 9 Super Mario characters (8 if you don't count Wario, which I do) and only two Starfox characters. People can rationalize this all they want (e.g. There are more Super Mario games than Starfox games), but I don't feel like Smash Bros. should work like that. Smash Bros. should take from all Nintendo franchises more evenly. This would be more acceptable if the number of characters weren't so different (6 Mario and 4 Starfox would be better than 9 Mario and 2 Starfox). Dark Pit is a completely unnecessary character. To be fair, I haven't played all the way through Kid Icarus Uprising, but I don't like that game.

- Terrible Selection of Game Modes - Classic mode isn't as good as it used to be. Trophy rush gets old fast, and you don't really get a lot of stuff from it. Target Blast is terrible and Break the Targets, which is awesome, was removed. Smash Run is okay, but Smash Tour is the worst thing to happen to Smash Bros. Adventure mode from Melee was the best single player mode in any of the Smash games. The best thing they could have done was improve on the Adventure mode from Melee and instead they went in the complete opposite direction. Also, they got rid of Tournament mode. Why? That was awesome.

- Repeat Collectibles - This wasn't as bad in previous Smash Bros. games with trophies and stickers. Stickers especially, because you could actually make use of having multiple of the same sticker. But there is no point in having more than one of the same custom move. It takes way too long to get all of the custom moves. It's at the point where it's not even fair to use custom moves, because most of the characters (for me) don't even have any available to use yet. They really needed to figure out a different way to unlock the custom moves. It's not like we get multiples of the same songs, so we not treat custom moves like that? I also don't like that custom moves and equipment are lumped together, thus making unlocking custom moves even rarer.

- Custom Moves - Considering the majority of the custom moves are just phoned in, they should have just scrapped the whole idea. Some characters, like Palutena (Gee, I wonder why her), get completely new moves for her customs, whereas the majority of the characters' custom moves are just slight variations on their default moves. Either put the effort into actually fleshing it out or don't do it at all.

It's really sad that Melee is still the best. I know competitive players view Melee as the best for whatever reason, but I'm not a competitive player. I play for fun. Still, Melee is the best for fun for me.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
No. If there's going to be a final Smash Bros, there has to be more characters, more stages and a lot more content. Krystal, Dark Samus, Zoroark, Ridley, Ghirahim, Lyn or Eliwood, Toon Zelda/ Tetra, Toon Ganon and many other characters still deserve to appear in Smash Bros. There are so many memorial places from the games that need to get their stage. The Castle from Wind Waker, where you have the final fight against Ganondorf, Elyssia, Aether or Talon IV. There's still so much to express and since more and more great games keep coming out, more content for Smash Bros.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Personally, I'd love for another company to get the Smash Bros treatment. I've always wanted to see a Disney Smash Bros(even though that will never happen).

Farorae

Smash Ace
Am I satisfied with the game? Yes I love it, best smash yet. Would still be disappointed if they stopped making it though.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Engine wise, I'd say yes. But the roster is still really subpar, and I am not even talking about characters I would have liked, the cuts are ridiculous. And the fact that Mewtwo wasn't even considered until the game was out...
So the roster is subpar because of a few cuts.

Bruh Smash 4 honestly has the most diverse, interesting roster of any fighting game out there right now. A few cuts might create salt but in the grand scheme does not affect much.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
As much as a part of me wants to be greedy, and always thirst for new characters (Lip please) I think if this really was the last game, I'm still pretty satisfied with it. The game feels great, and the roster, while not having my "dream characters" (Liiiiiiip) still is a very fun and diverse roster. I mean, 49 characters is a ton! (Even with no Lip)
But like almost everybody else in this thread said, this is definitely not the end, as this is pretty much Nintendo's biggest thing.

Last edited:

CareSplat

Smash Rookie
NO.

I don't have a Wii U and haven't played Smash 4. So how could I be satisfied?

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I think so, though they try to make every one seem like the last. It'll probably be at least five years away though, which is a long time in console years

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
I would be satisfied with it now, yes, but years down the line? No. Over the years there will be new consoles, new series, and new tech. Smash 4's characters would be extremely outdated, it's content mass would be outdated and i'd have to go back to an old console whenever i wanted to play it. If I want outdated content and to switch consoles whenever I play Smash, I'd go play Melee, because Melee has better gameplay.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Look, Smash 4 is definitely the best in the series, it's the closest to perfect we've gotten so far... At least gameplay-wise. But there's still so much it could have improved on. I do believe that the perfect Smash game would be an amalgamation of what was in Melee, Brawl & 4 all together in one game. No cuts, more stages, no Smash Tour, Melee Adventure mode, No 3DS version. That's really what we need.

As it is, I would think it was ridiculous if Nintendo never were to make another Smash game. It's a system seller for sure.

Last edited:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
You're right; it's sold more systems even that Mario Kart 8. I am not a competitive player and don't understand why they can't just stick with Melee and project M. This is the best game so far in so many ways.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
3 of my most wanted characters got in and the fact that online is leagues better than brawl I wouldn't mind this one being the last,but that ain't happening,this is one of nintendo's money maker after all.

D

Deleted member

Seeing as how we've finally got a portable Smash, yeah, I'd be quite satisfied.

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
Yes. While Smash 4 is not hardcore lip service. Everything in Smash 4 is subtlety done to address 15 years of fan feedback to create something new.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ummm, no.

If Mewtwo was the last piece of DLC would I be satisfied for this game?
I guess. Not super satisfied, but I'd be okay with it, we got a lot of good stuff this time round.

Would I be satisfied if this was the last game? Hell no. It's better than Brawl IMO, better than Melee even, but I'd be gutted if this was the last Smash ever.

Personal wants are still not fulfilled; still waiting on that playable Toad, the fanbase still wants their DK characters, Ridley, Isaac, Ganondorf to not be a slow Captain Falcon, etc and Bowser's Castle has still not been a Smash stage for some peculiar reason.

Plus I really don't want to go out when Smash Tour was the big single player mode.

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
Plus I really don't want to go out when Smash Tour was the big single player mode.
If you are playing smash tour in single player you are doing it wrong. That's like trying to play Clue/Cluedo by yourself. Yes you solved the crime, congratulations.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you are playing smash tour in single player you are doing it wrong. That's like trying to play Clue/Cluedo by yourself. Yes you solved the crime, congratulations.
The problem isn't Playing Smash Tour by yourself (best way to do those challenges if you have 4 controllers btw). It's that it EXISTS and is terribly implemented.

Last edited:

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
It's not terrible, it's just marginally shortsighted. There's no advantage to playing smash tour. It's a mild anecdote.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is probably my fault. I tend to refer to anything not as the core Smash gameplay as single player, even when it's obviously not. Technically events isn't single player exclusive either, but I'll still refer to it as a single player mode.

I have not been playing Smash Tour in single player, but with two other people. Smash Tour is still arguably one of the worst mode features added to any game.

The final battle being based on KO's like in a Time Match, even though you're technically playing with 'stock' rules is something first time players don't really get, especially after years of Smash play.

You are correct though; there's no advantage to playing this mode outside unlocking Pac-Land or beating a few challenges, which is a shame.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Yes and no.

I miss the depth of 1P mode and was really hoping for an improvement on Subspace Emissary.

The rest of the game is fine, of course there are little things like character additions and stages that I wish were available, but I am past the point of this being bothersome to me. I've always been a supporter of "working with what tools you are given" rather than demanding change that will likely go unrequited.

And you think Mr. Iwata will let the Smash series end? When Sakurai was uneasy about creating Brawl, Iwata told him he could either direct the new game or Melee would simply be re-released for the Wii. So if Sakurai is out (which I doubt he would actually do) for the next game, they'll probably buy him out and produce it themselves.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I'm satisfied with the series as it is, but if Smash 4 were really to be the last game in the series, I'd be kinda disappointed since I don't enjoy it as much as the others.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, so, it might surprises you that I say this, but yes, definitely.

First, this is kind of mandatory I mention this quote, but if you see my profile info, you'll come across what is imo the best dev quote I've ever heard:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."

- Masahiro Sakurai

Now, I realy respect the guy for multiple reasons, but this one is a
one.

Now, ssb has a kind of unusual way to renew itself. Normally, this quote teaches me that if you want to have a sequel, it has to worth the effort and trouble to do it.

But smash sequlisation is mostly valued by the fact that there's new stuff to represents if you pass some years.

This is rather unusual, but this explains why there's sequels.

But you have to consider something, Sakurai, is really pushing himself really hard to make these possible.

In other words, I'm kind of ready of the day he says that he can't go further. Imagine, to go THAT FAR, that is really amazing and this person is honestly very inspiring me because of its determination to do something he really want. It just shows us how much he care to do an
game.

Now, the current game corrected most of the issues I had with brawl....mainly the repping. Firmly loving Paper Mario, I got pleased to have full repping and a stage. That is why I'm perfectly fine for him to not end up playable, I just enjoy the stage whcih is a big deal. But the thing is, pretty much most of the repping is crazy. Sure, you might claim some inconsistencies int he music or such, but overall, it is so much broad and diverse that it really is phenomenal.

Because of these reasons, if tomorrow Sakurai said "I can't go further" I would be ready to take this possibility and just enjoy his latest game. I really think Sakurai has done his goal of having the best crossover game and so, he doesn't have to go further, but he can if he wish to. I just won't feel that he NEEDS to, this series reached a point when it just can be enjoyed that much for years.

Thanks you Sakurai....you still inspires me....

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
Ok, so, it might surprises you that I say this, but yes, definitely.

First, this is kind of mandatory I mention this quote, but if you see my profile info, you'll come across what is imo the best dev quote I've ever heard:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."

- Masahiro Sakurai

Now, I realy respect the guy for multiple reasons, but this one is a
one.

Now, ssb has a kind of unusual way to renew itself. Normally, this quote teaches me that if you want to have a sequel, it has to worth the effort and trouble to do it.

But smash sequlisation is mostly valued by the fact that there's new stuff to represents if you pass some years.

This is rather unusual, but this explains why there's sequels.

But you have to consider something, Sakurai, is really pushing himself really hard to make these possible.

In other words, I'm kind of ready of the day he says that he can't go further. Imagine, to go THAT FAR, that is really amazing and this person is honestly very inspiring me because of its determination to do something he really want. It just shows us how much he care to do an
game.

Now, the current game corrected most of the issues I had with brawl....mainly the repping. Firmly loving Paper Mario, I got pleased to have full repping and a stage. That is why I'm perfectly fine for him to not end up playable, I just enjoy the stage whcih is a big deal. But the thing is, pretty much most of the repping is crazy. Sure, you might claim some inconsistencies int he music or such, but overall, it is so much broad and diverse that it really is phenomenal.

Because of these reasons, if tomorrow Sakurai said "I can't go further" I would be ready to take this possibility and just enjoy his latest game. I really think Sakurai has done his goal of having the best crossover game and so, he doesn't have to go further, but he can if he wish to. I just won't feel that he NEEDS to, this series reached a point when it just can be enjoyed that much for years.

Thanks you Sakurai....you still inspires me....
This. I totally agree. 100%

Last edited:
Top Bottom