• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If this is found, I'll eat my shorts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_Smash_Brother

Smash Apprentice
I challenge anyone on Cape Breton Island!
It's just a little thing I managed while seeing if I could batdrop a guy at 999%. (it was mario. >_>) After my messing around, I tried Wavedashing back out of a dash, which I do normally for fun/fake outs, and thought of something! What if, during a dash, you wavedashed directly downwards (Okay, it's not a wavedash then...)! I tried it, and I might have replaced Dash Cancelling! You just run to your opponent, jump and air dodge right downwards, and then you have only regular landing lag! No crouch lag, no dash lag! We can go instantly into forward, down and up smashes and tilts! If it wasn't found, I call it Wavestopping (yeah, the name sucks, but it's better than "suctioning, which is what that looks like, getting sucked straight to the floor.) and if it was found, it must have been under lock and key and I will call it "Aw crap!"

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would call it "jump-cancelling a dash into stationary wavedash," because that's exactly what you're doing.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
It's just a little thing I managed while seeing if I could batdrop a guy at 999%. (it was mario. >_>) After my messing around, I tried Wavedashing back out of a dash, which I do normally for fun/fake outs, and thought of something! What if, during a dash, you wavedashed directly downwards (Okay, it's not a wavedash then...)! I tried it, and I might have replaced Dash Cancelling! You just run to your opponent, jump and air dodge right downwards, and then you have only regular landing lag! No crouch lag, no dash lag! We can go instantly into forward, down and up smashes and tilts! If it wasn't found, I call it Wavestopping (yeah, the name sucks, but it's better than "suctioning, which is what that looks like, getting sucked straight to the floor.) and if it was found, it must have been under lock and key and I will call it "Aw crap!"
I'm afraid you'll be eating your shorts >_<

This has been known. It is usually related hand in hand with pulse walking (dash forward, WD back). I forget the exact name, but it was in the fox movement tricks thread/vid. I'll go find it and edit with the name.

Edit: Yup, here it is

Dalal said:
Mobile Pulse Walking
The same concept of stationary pulse walking, except you slowly inch towards your opponent. This is achieved by dashing towards, then wavedashing downwards, and then repeating until you feel the need to stop. In fact, if you perform this move in front of a Marth, you might make him perform his high-lag B move, and then you can attack him...
I think this is pretty much what you were describing. Stop your forward momentum with a straight downwards WD. Not a bad tactic though.

Super_Smash_Brother

Smash Apprentice
Using the power of "Pulse Walking", I made that post quicker than you made that edit. Seriously, you can look at the times. Besides, I mean a FULL DASH to the opponent, then the downward air dodge, not for the purpose of provoking an attack, but launching any standing attack.

Mosk

Smash Cadet
Eat them shorts. Why would you even think you've made a discovery when anyone who's learned to wavedash would figure this out on their own within a week of playing around with it.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
This would be really slow and will usually only get you punished. Just hit down or up on the control stick the instant before you use the c-stick. It's call jump-cancelling. Much faster. Or, if you're in the start-up dash animation, pivot. Also much faster.

Super_Smash_Brother

Smash Apprentice
Eat them shorts. Why would you even think you've made a discovery when anyone who's learned to wavedash would figure this out on their own within a week of playing around with it.
But you need to know more than wavedashing to catch on that this replaces Dash Cancelling, easily. (and I'm wearing jeans! Ha! I just wanted to make it funnier, because if Bart Simpson told people to eat his jeans, it wouldn't be funny as "Eat my shorts!)

This is not for transportation! I bet I could dash Mario up to a pulse walker, pull the many times above said technique to trick him, then SHFFL B-air right over him and strike!

And...

A. This is faster than Dash Canceling, depending on who it is. With Luigi, you could slide straght past the target while crouching, but instead he'd get pulled straight down and not move an inch (how'd I type pove istead of move?). (Insert character with most traction here) would not benifit as much.
B. I don't C-stick, or play with experienced players so I don't have to C-stick..

pdk

Smash Lord
Yeah, but that's pretty long. (Ever wonder what a journeyman is?)
former apprentice who has completed his training yet still works for his master (see, reading great expectations has helped people!)

and this is both old and a fair bit worse than dash canceling because there's about a quarter-second after the WD where you can't do anything

Super_Smash_Brother

Smash Apprentice
former apprentice who has completed his training yet still works for his master (see, reading great expectations has helped people!)

and this is both old and a fair bit worse than dash canceling because there's about a quarter-second after the WD where you can't do anything
Thanks for the Journeyman info. Anyway, just start up smash bros. and try both this technique and a dash cancel. Landing out of the dodge takes less time than rising from a crouch.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Using the power of "Pulse Walking", I made that post quicker than you made that edit. Seriously, you can look at the times. Besides, I mean a FULL DASH to the opponent, then the downward air dodge, not for the purpose of provoking an attack, but launching any standing attack.
2 things...

1) its the same physics.
2) just because it was described as a fake out doesn't mean you can't attack right out of it.

lol i can't help it if I opened a different window with my slow internet and never left the page before editting, thus never seeing your post because the page was at the state it was immediately after I posted.

Edit: Besides, as stated, JC is faster logically just by considering both actions need the jump to occur. However, JC goes straight out of the jump while this, the attack comes AFTER the airdodge, which results in extra time.

pdk

Smash Lord
Thanks for the Journeyman info. Anyway, just start up smash bros. and try both this technique and a dash cancel. Landing out of the dodge takes less time than rising from a crouch.
there's 3 steps to wavedashing:

1) jump (takes anywhere from 4 to 9 frames to get off the ground)
2) airdodge (takes at least 1 frame in the absolute best case which is usually nearly missed)
3) suffer airdodge-landing lag (10 frames)

add it all up and you get...

Super_Smash_Brother

Smash Apprentice
this has been known, and is also worthless. it's slow and sucks compared to pivoting / jcing
Again, I don't C-Stick meaning I can't jump cancel forward smash, if that's possible outside of perfect control 1 and 2! And what if your opponent is trying to keep away from you? Pivoting is worthless out of a full dash!

2 things...

1) its the same physics.
2) just because it was described as a fake out doesn't mean you can't attack right out of it.
How does an air dodge work the same as a jump? I can jump cancel. I jump cancel grab when I think about it, and I near always JC up smash. But if someone has a good air game, you don't want them in the air. Solution? use another smash.

PDK said:
there's 3 steps to wavedashing:

1) jump (takes anywhere from 4 to 9 frames to get off the ground)
2) airdodge (takes at least 1 frame in the absolute best case which is usually nearly missed)
3) suffer airdodge-landing lag (10 frames)

add it all up and you get...
Fox's jump is too **** fast for me too see, and I have near gold reaction time. My brain reacts, just not my fingers.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
Again, I don't C-Stick meaning I can't jump cancel forward smash, if that's possible outside of perfect control 1 and 2! And what if your opponent is trying to keep away from you? Pivoting is worthless out of a full dash!
if you're out of the initial dash anim. then you hit down then cstick forward. if you're still in it then pivot a fsmash. done.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Just because you don't use c-stick doesn't mean that you can't use c-stick. That's your own decision. Obviously, c-stick presents better options here. Also: if your oponent is always trying to keep away from you, predict his escape/fleeing move and punish it. Not too difficult of a concept.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is already known, and at that, just like the idea of "pulse walking" your simply trying to give names to the application of already known techniques. People have been "pulse walking" for years, yet most people don't call it that, it simply the repition of the same feint/fakeout.

Just like your dash-wavedash downwards technique, some kid wanted to give the name of wavedashing downwards and called it "place dashing".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom