• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there was one thing you could change about Melee's meta, it would be...

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'd make the reflector move (so both Fox and Falco) do no damage.

If you don't mean actually changing the game, then I'd either ban wobbling universally, or I'd make Great Bay a legal stage.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Buff zelda to high-top tier and have her play as a keep away- zoning character that restricts space through projectiles. Then, I'll finally be able to fully enjoy melee.

Phantom hits need to GTFO.
That is the last thing you want to happen. At least with how Brawl fixed it. In Brawl, when you barely scrap another person with the hitbox all you get are yellow sparks. No damage at all. Phantom hits in Melee at the very least give you damage for missing. I say its missing due to how melee/brawl both treat the edge of a hitbox as missing and giving no knockback.

Brawl did do one change right that I wish was in Melee. In Brawl, when you hit someone with a hitbox at the same frame you get grabbed the grabber takes the damage of the move. In melee, the grab takes precedence over the hitbox and the grabber takes no damage at all.

These are not going to change the meta drastically, but it makes grabbing less powerful by a bit.

Last edited:

spy_

Smash Rookie
1. Buff Falcon's recovery
2. Buff G&W's defense
3. Give Doc regular Mario's horizontal recovery for cape
4. Nerf Peach's dsmash

Most importantly, take away stage transformations on pokemon

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Don't think I would change anything in the game, I just want more people to play more characters on the A tier list (doc down through young link).

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Replace Melee Roy with PM or even Smash 4 Roy. Either of those are better than having a wet noodle.

RedRengadeYo

Smash Rookie
Keep the year 20XX from ever happening. The multishines, we won't be ready for any of it.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
Take away stage hazards from a lot of stages, might free up more for tournament viability. This actually has a chance to happen though with 20xx tournament edition coming out, we'll have to wait and see.

;o

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Oh man, there are a LOT of things that I think that were different about Melee that it would be so much better. A lot of them aren't exclusive to Melee and occur across all Smash games, but...

• Make the Fragile Speedsters not have overly good finishers to compensate for their damage racking ability (seriously, of all the dumb balancing decisions, this makes no sense to me).
  • More legal stages.
  • No helplessness on the air dodge (more viable movement options FTW).
  • Make the wavedash into a basic mechanic the way I thought of: press L or R to do a dash [not run] with its length controlled by pressing the stick anywhere from forward to down.
  • No L-canceling (which I don't mind but a lot of people are starting to resent due to now being seen as a pointless middleman to just having little landing lag).
  • Don't have such a wide gap between the fastest characters and the slowest characters so that Melee isn't all defined by its Fragile Speedsters.
  • Have some buffering so that Melee isn't made of one-frame links.
  • Maybe make shielding and rolling a bit more viable. Maybe even combine crouch canceling into shielding (shieldstun increases with damage).
  • Make hitstun not completely dependent on knockback so that even Mighty Glaciers can get in on the combo business.
  • Make Ganondorf's moveset use his sword and magic projectiles and not just punching. ^_^
Yep, I spent a lot of time thinking about this. Even though Melee is pretty deep, it's far from perfect.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Oh man, there are a LOT of things that I think that were different about Melee that it would be so much better. A lot of them aren't exclusive to Melee and occur across all Smash games, but...

• Make the Fragile Speedsters not have overly good finishers to compensate for their damage racking ability (seriously, of all the dumb balancing decisions, this makes no sense to me).
  • More legal stages.
  • No helplessness on the air dodge (more viable movement options FTW).
  • Make the wavedash into a basic mechanic the way I thought of: press L or R to do a dash [not run] with its length controlled by pressing the stick anywhere from forward to down.
  • No L-canceling (which I don't mind but a lot of people are starting to resent due to now being seen as a pointless middleman to just having little landing lag).
  • Don't have such a wide gap between the fastest characters and the slowest characters so that Melee isn't all defined by its Fragile Speedsters.
  • Have some buffering so that Melee isn't made of one-frame links.
  • Maybe make shielding and rolling a bit more viable. Maybe even combine crouch canceling into shielding (shieldstun increases with damage).
  • Make hitstun not completely dependent on knockback so that even Mighty Glaciers can get in on the combo business.
  • Make Ganondorf's moveset use his sword and magic projectiles and not just punching. ^_^
Yep, I spent a lot of time thinking about this. Even though Melee is pretty deep, it's far from perfect.
Lol sounds like you want to play smash 4.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Lol sounds like you want to play smash 4.
FYI, I don't want either Smash U or Melee. Or Brawl or 64 or PM or even SD Remix.

The Fragile Speedsters having OP finishers is a problem across all Smash games.

But with no L-cancelling, maybe it would be best replaced with little landing lag instead of not compensating at all.

Top Bottom