• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If The Starting Roster Is The Original 12, Who Would You Start With and Why? (SSB4)

If The Starting Roster Is The Original 12, Who Would You Start With?

• Total voters

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'd go with Samus first as Samus and Link are pretty much always my most used characters, but I don't care for the Gale Boomerang. I'd want to unlock customization options for Link whereas I'm fine with Samus's default moves.

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
I'd go with Samus first as Samus and Link are pretty much always my most used characters, but I don't care for the Gale Boomerang. I'd want to unlock customization options for Link whereas I'm fine with Samus's default moves.
I have to agree with that boomerang. In Brawl, after Link throws the boomerang upclose at someone it would hit them and essentially knock them on the ground sometimes. If they could buff it so that it would always knock them on the ground and it was untechable, I would enjoy using that move a lot more. Either way I like how it does knock people out upclose...

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'd have to go Captain Falcon. That way I could get a feel for the game with a relatively easy to play character for me. Then I'd go Yoshi right after that because he's my best dino buddy.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Pikachu because he was my very first main. He's also my favorite Pokemon.
If not Pikachu....Kirby.
If not Kirby or Pikachu.....Ness.
I love those 3. <3

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I will make 2 cpu fight in one stock matches until they unlock Zelda for me. :awesome:
Joking aside I would probably stick with Kirby if we get the original 12 as starters. Zelda was a starter in both melee and brawl so I am not worried about her too much.

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
I will make 2 cpu fight in one stock matches until they unlock Zelda for me. :awesome:
Joking aside I would probably stick with Kirby if we get the original 12 as starters. Zelda was a starter in both melee and brawl so I am not worried about her too much.
Lol Stock & 2 CPU's...

Last edited:

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
C. Falcon definitely...

I remember when after unlock him me and my friends picked him... Everybody was launching Falcon Punchs all the time hehe

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I can't really say without having seen all of them yet, but I have a feeling I'll be picking up Ness first, just because he was my first dedicated main in Brawl, and later a much stronger main in 64. Hopefully he'll play as nicely as he did in 64 (that double-jump-canceled momentum feels SO right), but if not, I've always got Mario to fall back on, and Luigi looks to be much improved as well.

ZBomber

Smash Rookie
Link, because Zelda is my favorite game series and I've been using him 95% of the time ever since 64.

Thor

Smash Champion
Fox, for reasons I stated in another thread, namely unlocking Falco (using questionable logic that figures they'd be tied together, assuming Falco is not deconfirmed and there is not a 100-Man Melee). If there is a 100-Man Melee, my answer would actually change to Pikachu under the assumption that dsmash and Thunder would be the easy way through it (then I'd check DK for down+b cheese - if that was out I'd then go through Fox, Captain Falcon, Samus, Kirby, Link, then Luigi in that order).

But after I'd unlocked Falco, I'd immediately try him out, then go play Captain Falcon, Samus, Link, and Pikachu and see if any of the 5 would be main material. After that, I'd try Fox, Kirby, and Luigi, and if they all fell through for me too, I'd go unlock a bunch of people and try them out to find someone I like.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
:094::4mario::mario2::drmario::mario64::mario:Mario shall be the chosen one... UNLESS.. Wolf decides to show up *punches Sakurai until he adds Wolf* <<joke
But seriously Mario was my main on SSB64, Melee Dr. Mario took over n of course (if you can't tell from my avatar).. Wolf took me over in Brawl.

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
:094::4mario::mario2::drmario::mario64::mario:Mario shall be the chosen one... UNLESS.. Wolf decides to show up *punches Sakurai until he adds Wolf* <<joke
But seriously Mario was my main on SSB64, Melee Dr. Mario took over n of course (if you can't tell from my avatar).. Wolf took me over in Brawl.
Cool! By the way, at the moment I am using Wolf because my two other friends are using Fox and Falco. Have any tips? Sorry to diverge off topic. But I am curious about your advice or anyone's really...

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Cool! By the way, at the moment I am using Wolf because my two other friends are using Fox and Falco. Have any tips? Sorry to diverge off topic. But I am curious about your advice or anyone's really...
Just use his Side B wisely. Wolf is slower n more of a juggle character. He's more all around than the other two. That side b though, it goes diagonal BUT very effective if you nail it AFTER you pop them in the air. IF you hit the opponent with your side b, you'll be able to attack or jump. If you miss, you free fall. Risk / Reward deal.

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
Just use his Side B wisely. Wolf is slower n more of a juggle character. He's more all around than the other two. That side b though, it goes diagonal BUT very effective if you nail it AFTER you pop them in the air. IF you hit the opponent with your side b, you'll be able to attack or jump. If you miss, you free fall. Risk / Reward deal.
Interesting!?!?!

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Interesting!?!?!
Go on youtube n type... VGBootCamp Chillin Wolf.
Watch Chillin compete using Wolf. He uses the side b in one of his combos. Rat also mains Wolf as well.

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
Go on youtube n type... VGBootCamp Chillin Wolf.
Watch Chillin compete using Wolf. He uses the side b in one of his combos. Rat also mains Wolf as well.
Facepalms* I was looking more for Brawl advice. However, thanks for the tid bit. I will definitely try that when I actually get my hands on PM as I have not played that or Melee... Especially since Smash 4 is a mix of both...

Last edited:

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
First character I played in all previous games was Kirby. In Smash 4 I'll play Kirby in classic mode. Must keep the tradition.

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Facepalms* I was looking more for Brawl advice. However, thanks for the tid bit. I will definitely try that when I actually get my hands on PM as I have not played that or Melee... Especially since Smash 4 is a mix of both...
It's been a while since I played actual Brawl but usually I used him. Just about the same method really. His up smash n dash attack are different. Same mind frame. Get in, juggle, get out. He's great with the hit-n-run tactics but DON'T give the other person a chance to make a move UNLESS you're a fan of manipulation or love to control your opponent's next move. Practice will help you develop your style. Make sure you ARE ABLE TO ADAPT bcuz someone will throw a curveball at you during a tournament n u need to be able to focus n not hesitate. *salutes*

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Fox, because he's my favourite character of that list and I feel pretty comfortable with him since I mained him in the early days of Melee (before I unlocked Mewtwo).

But to be perfectly honest if Pit somehow isn't a starter I'll just play random until he's unlocked - unless there are parameters around who you have to play as to unlock him.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, Link has always been one of my favorites so I'll go with him. I might also go with Fox and Captain Falcon.

Bortverde

Smash Cadet
Kirby, I hope it was buffed again and close to his 64 character
Captain Falcon too, and maybe DK

DerangedGumball

Smash Rookie
Mario, because he was the first character I used in Smash 64, is like a "Jack of all stats" character, so it would be easier to get used to the games changes with him, and it's my personal tradition.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Mario gets so much crap, but I'm glad he's getting a lot of love in this thread.

With that said, Mario of course.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Is that a real question? The only answer is

:4falcon: :4falcon: :4falcon:

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
:ness64: because I'm already planning on maining him anyways. (He wasn't my best character in 64 though)

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Ness was meh in Brawl so I'd like to try and give him another chance in Sm4sh, hopefully he has some buffs and perhaps a fresh new move or two.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Link and then Samus. I need to see if Sakurai really improved them. Playing Link for 2 minutes at Best Buy wasn't enough for me because it went by so fast.

Top Bottom