• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If sonic had an alt costume

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
After today's picture seemingly showed a male alt for the WFT what would you want Sonic's one to be?

The choices I see are

One of Sonic's Friends
Shadow the Hedgehog
Metal Sonic
Classic Sonic

Personally I'd want Classic Sonic as all the others would demand at least a different running animation. Plus it would shut him up.

SonicMario

Smash Master
If it wasn't for the fact in Generations it was confirmed that Classic Sonic is alot shorter then Modern Sonic (It'd mean making an entirely new hit box just for Classic Sonic. Wii Fit Trainer between both costumes can still have the same hitbox) I'd be cool with Classic Sonic. (But I love both Sonic's, I'm not one of those that complain about green eyes and his design he's had since SA1 :p)

So the only real entire change I could see them doing is having a Metal Sonic alt, or Black Sonic being recolored into Shadow's look.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Classic Sonic would be cool, but as SonicMario states, there are problems with the idea.

Metal Sonic seems like an obvious choice, but I don't think they'll change the character completely. Wario just gets a new outfit, and you can already choose the trainer's gender in Wii Fit as is (I presume), and same with Villager is that happens. So while I'd like Metal Sonic, I doubt they're going to change the character completely.

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
I was actually thinking about this, and about why Sonic doesn't have a modeled mouth.

Perhaps the reason why they choose to use a texture was so it could be replaced with something different without needed to change the animation for it.
Say for example, Shadow was an alt skin for Sonic. This would allow them to replace Sonic's grin with Shadow's grimace just by replacing the textures.

This would also work for an alt skin for Metal Sonic, since now there wouldn't be any bones/animations for Metal Sonic's nonexistent mouth.

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
I was actually thinking about this, and about why Sonic doesn't have a modeled mouth.

Perhaps the reason why they choose to use a texture was so it could be replaced with something different without needed to change the animation for it.
Say for example, Shadow was an alt skin for Sonic. This would allow them to replace Sonic's grin with Shadow's grimace just by replacing the textures.

This would also work for an alt skin for Metal Sonic, since now there wouldn't be any bones/animations for Metal Sonic's nonexistent mouth.
^^^ This...actually makes sense. Holy shiznit.

I would LOVE to see Classic Sonic as an Alternate, or maybe Sonic could have a sort of switch thing like Zelda/Shiek, Ivy/Squirt/Char, something like that.

Classic Sonic would run onscreen, slap hands with his Modern self in a tag-out fashion, and then Modern would run offscreen.

That would work. ^.^

SonicMario

Smash Master
^^^ This...actually makes sense. Holy shiznit.

I would LOVE to see Classic Sonic as an Alternate, or maybe Sonic could have a sort of switch thing like Zelda/Shiek, Ivy/Squirt/Char, something like that.

Classic Sonic would run onscreen, slap hands with his Modern self in a tag-out fashion, and then Modern would run offscreen.

That would work. ^.^
That'd only work if Sega really wanted to promote Sonic Generations, which with Sonic Lost World getting a stage isn't the thing that they want to promote as much. The only Nintendo system that got Generations is the 3DS version of the game.

What if... the 3DS version of SSB4 has an unlockable Classic Sonic alternate. And it's transferable to the Wii U? Maybe more costumes would be an incentive in owning both versions of the game?

Still find it unlikely, since of course again Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic have different sizes that'd require hitbox change. (Unless they make Classic Sonic bigger possibly)

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
That'd only work if Sega really wanted to promote Sonic Generations, which with Sonic Lost World getting a stage isn't the thing that they want to promote as much. The only Nintendo system that got Generations is the 3DS version of the game.

What if... the 3DS version of SSB4 has an unlockable Classic Sonic alternate. And it's transferable to the Wii U? Maybe more costumes would be an incentive in owning both versions of the game?

Still find it unlikely, since of course again Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic have different sizes that'd require hitbox change. (Unless they make Classic Sonic bigger possibly)

Classic Sonic bigger? Eh, Highly unlikely...

We can dream, though, right? :laugh:

The 3DS/Wii U Transfer thing is a great idea, though! :D

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Modern Sonic & Clasic Sonic ~

Could also see glasses from Sonic Riders, Metal Sonic? (Doubt it).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Metal Sonic would be my dream costume, and would pretty much be the only reason I'd ever even touch Sonic in a Smash game. Just remove all of his voice clips when he dons the Alt and we'd be set.

Bonus: Play as a cooler character and Sonic shuts his goddamn mouth.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
If SEGA are against Sonic hving alternate colours for whatever reason, why not just make his alts the Sonic Simulator bots from Colours and Lost World?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Metal Sonic would be my dream costume, and would pretty much be the only reason I'd ever even touch Sonic in a Smash game. Just remove all of his voice clips when he dons the Alt and we'd be set.

Bonus: Play as a cooler character and Sonic shuts his goddamn mouth.
I think Classic Sonic with just the Classic Sonic sounds would be the best for this (Though I don't hate Sonic's voice enough to not play as him, I'm happy he's even Smash Bros. to begin with) Though Roger Craig Smith should be able to have a more tolerable voice then Griffith's in Brawl. ("YOU'RE TOO SLOW" is too perfect though, it's a taunt. It's kinda supposed to be annoying)

MasterWolf144

Smash Rookie
Sonic won't have an alt because his moveset doesn't match any other Sonic character. The only person who could match it is Tails. Shadow wouldn't spindash or have Sonic's smashes.

Classic Sonic feels like the best choice, the size changes would be an issue but I'm sure they could find a compromise.

Sonic has the classic face, quills, and shoes. His body is a little more spherical, but other then that his proportions stay the same.

Metal Sonic would be amazing, but I don't think it's going to happen

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I would like to see Metal Sonic.

However I think the costume I'd really want to see is Knuckles The Echidna.

Then Tails can be a Assist Trophy.

Shadow is like the same freaken thing as Sonic except he's red and black, I say Shadow can just be a color scheme, in fact that should of been done in Brawl.

I don't use Sonic because I thought his color selection sucked in Brawl, but if they added a Knuckles and a Shadow color swap, I'd actually use him, I want to use him, but I don't like Sonic's regular color, in fact I don't really like Sonic all that much, I'm a Knuckles The Echidna fan, I always picked Knuckles in games like Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Battle, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing.

Oh another thing, Knuckles should have a Australian accent because Echidnas are native to Australia.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sonic won't have an alt because his moveset doesn't match any other Sonic character. The only person who could match it is Tails. Shadow wouldn't spindash or have Sonic's smashes.
Actually he does spindash in games where he is playable such as SA2 and Heroes.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I would like to see Metal Sonic.

However I think the costume I'd really want to see is Knuckles The Echidna.

Then Tails can be a Assist Trophy.

Shadow is like the same freaken thing as Sonic except he's red and black, I say Shadow can just be a color scheme, in fact that should of been done in Brawl.

I don't use Sonic because I thought his color selection sucked in Brawl, but if they added a Knuckles and a Shadow color swap, I'd actually use him, I want to use him, but I don't like Sonic's regular color, in fact I don't really like Sonic all that much, I'm a Knuckles The Echidna fan, I always picked Knuckles in games like Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Battle, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing.

Oh another thing, Knuckles should have a Australian accent because Echidnas are native to Australia.
Shadow the same thing, no he's not he has chaos powers and even then he's most like sonic so he has the biggest chance to be an alternate character over sonic

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Shadow the same thing, no he's not he has chaos powers and even then he's most like sonic so he has the biggest chance to be an alternate character over sonic
What I was getting at was maybe he should be a color scheme instead because he looks almost just like Sonic, except red and black, then save the Knuckles look for the costume.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
What I was getting at was maybe he should be a color scheme instead because he looks almost just like Sonic, except red and black, then save the Knuckles look for the costume.
Except his spikes are different, he has different shoes, gloves etc. a black sonic is very different from shadow

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

or

Either of those would work nicely for me. No need to get fancy with all of these extraneous characters when Sonic's had a sufficient number of alternate looks in the past.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Classic, Riders, Boom, and(for the lulz) him with the floatie from Olympic games.

just as long as we get stuff better then bloody wristbands I'm cool.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

If it isn't an alternate costume, I'd definitely would love to see this when Sonic gets the metal box.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
This would be my choice. Others have already mentioned it, but I do like this picture of Sonic.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Classic Sonic
or
Metallic Sonic (the alt skin from Sonic Heroes' multiplayer mode)

Being a huge fan of Metal Sonic, I strongly dislike when he's treated like a Sonic clone, when in fact he isn't.
Back where he debuted, Metal Sonic was nothing like Sonic in terms of moves.
While Sonic used spindash, Metal used a forcefield boost.
While Sonic curled into a ball to spin or jump, Metal Sonic surged electricity throughout his body, ala Mewtwo's Nair.

So Classic Sonic would be the ideal Sonic alt. costume for me. But to be fair, the current Sonic model is SO good, with so many classic nods, that I find it unnecessary anyway.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Boom scarf and bandages
Link outfit
Riders style goggles and shoes
and Black knight's gauntlet

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
imo metal sonic and classic sonic are most likely. please no sonic boom sonic. please no.

metal sonic would be cool 4 me lol

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I wouldn't mind Boom Sonic as an alternate costume, I actually kind of like it(with the exception of the blue arms, but's that's a nitpick).

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
He needs Metal Sonic as an alt.

If SEGA are against Sonic hving alternate colours for whatever reason, why not just make his alts the Sonic Simulator bots from Colours and Lost World?
I think he had different blues because of how late he was added into the game.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
If Sonic has an Alt (and so far it looks like the newcomers the only one receiving them) then i think it'd make sense to have him appear as his Sonic Boom look. I think it'd be a good way to promote the game and this look has grown on me.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I said this before, but since Sega is pushing Boom like no tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked to have that. The only possible thing against it would be that Boom isn't coming to Japan.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Sonic Riders, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Sonic Boom, and Sonic's green brother from underground

Top Bottom