• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IF Sega really is up to console making...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
i was under the understanding that it was a brand new patent, not a renewed one?
I honestly can't tell lol half of the articles I read say they're new and ensues a discussion like this one, then the other half says they're renews and the discussion revolves around which games they'll be applied to >.>

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
new patents do take a while, some reports on this say that sega applied for these 2 patents long before this year when they were approved. *shrug* The consensus among reports on this tend to lean more toward they were in fact new patents for new technologies, a sensor controller of their own, and a memory card. Maybe they want to get into 3rd party development for hardware? I still however cannot find any credible evidence that these patents were for a new console of theirs, but we can still hope. *wants a dreamcast 2*

bwrw

Smash Rookie
With the PS3 having a really small amount of exclusive games, the Wii being 'too casual' and the 360's numerous mechanical flaws, I think a well-made system with a strong library could be quite competitive. Since Sega is a fairly major game developer, boasting a fairly long list of quality titles (although sadly, many have been in hibernation for quite some time) I think it's a possibility that they could take advantage of this. However, it would've made much more sense to do it sooner - even one or two years ago.

Putting their games on the Wii store would be a double-edged sword in this situation. On one hand, they have a competitor with rights to sell their old games - on the other, they now have people remembering those old games. Which is pretty nice marketing for them in the case that they do produce a new console (especially if they plan to do sequels to some of their older games on release), and they could use these figures as a gauge to measure what remains of their foothold in the market.

They have a solid list of titles that they already own and can build off of, that will also leave competitors hurting with the loss of them.

But this isn't going to happen. Because Sega's marketing is absolutely awful, and has been the downfall of the company for over fifteen years.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=2670]IF Sega really is up to console making...[/drupal]

With recent hits like Bioshock, Dead Space and Resident Evil 5 the survival horror genre is steadily climbing up the popularity meter, so why not pump out a third game in the Condemned series? I’ve never played them but I hear they’re bloody terrifying, and making the third game an exclusive for your console would be a great move for drawing in survival horror
Yes yes and more yes.

Top Bottom