• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Pac had a spike, what move do you think would be best suited for it?

Megamon

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering why Pac-Man was not given a spike in this game. It seems he has a move that I've accidentally used that would be perfect for one, though. It's the empty down b (w/o the hydrant coming out). I've accidentally used down b offstage recently due to my 3ds's circle pad messing up, and have noticed that sometimes I do it right on top of the opponents head, and it looks like he's about to spike them. The way the animation is on the move just oozes potential. Any more moves you'd think would be a nice meteor smash for Pac?

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure he doesn't have a spike cause of his good air game (i could imagine it now, Fair->Fair->spike) and how long he can stay off stage. So I believe it's for balance. Setting his down b to spike only while a hydrant is out would be interesting. Not sure if that would justify letting him have a spike or not. I like using his down b to slide across the stage. haha.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Personally, I'd say the most logical out of all of Pac's moves to actually get a spike besides Meteor Trampoline would be the Fire Hydrant. I mean, it is a tool that can be used for gimping anyway, but think of this is a logical manner.
Now think of this logically. You're fighting Pac-Man. He manages to throw you off-stage, and chases in after you.
Suddenly, out of nowhere, this yellow ball drops a freaking fire hydrant from hammerspace, which you fail to dodge.
Lets say the hitbox where the meteor is at the exact centre of the hydrant, ok?
Logically, you should be crushed by area of which the centre of gravity the Hydrant is located and brought straight into the bottom of the stage, which you'd lose a stock (or yur life).
Y'know, that's actually rather scary when you think about it.

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'd say the most logical out of all of Pac's moves to actually get a spike besides Meteor Trampoline would be the Fire Hydrant. I mean, it is a tool that can be used for gimping anyway, but think of this is a logical manner.
Now think of this logically. You're fighting Pac-Man. He manages to throw you off-stage, and chases in after you.
Suddenly, out of nowhere, this yellow ball drops a freaking fire hydrant from hammerspace, which you fail to dodge.
Lets say the hitbox where the meteor is at the exact centre of the hydrant, ok?
Logically, you should be crushed by area of which the centre of gravity the Hydrant is located and brought straight into the bottom of the stage, which you'd lose a stock (or yur life).
Y'know, that's actually rather scary when you think about it.
I don't know, I feel like that'd make it way too easy to spike people. Maybe cause some pac players to just try to keep you off the edge so they can spam hydrant on you. And it'd be a pretty safe move cause you could do it at any height. Unless it would only spike during the animation of him dropping it, forcing you to have to be directly on top of them.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
I don't know, I feel like that'd make it way too easy to spike people. Maybe cause some pac players to just try to keep you off the edge so they can spam hydrant on you. And it'd be a pretty safe move cause you could do it at any height. Unless it would only spike during the animation of him dropping it, forcing you to have to be directly on top of them.
I like this. If it had to be right on top it wouldn't be OP. It'd look nice, and would take skill.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
the key in freaky fruit can spike. its more reliable than meteor trampoline

pac can EASILY gimp people, alot easier than we have optimized, with tools like fair and orange. a spike while amazing would be abit broken, even if it was little mac strength

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
the key in freaky fruit can spike. its more reliable than meteor trampoline

pac can EASILY gimp people, alot easier than we have optimized, with tools like fair and orange. a spike while amazing would be abit broken, even if it was little mac strength
Yeah very true about gimping. I'm trying to improve how fast I can do it, trying to quickly spawn the fruit then cancel it out so I can move and then gimp. Or jump in the air while spawning fruit from a distance and gimp. I usually use cherry, strawberry, and orange for gimping.

flashypirate

Smash Rookie
I feel like if anything, the downair's last hit would be suitable or if the apple hit the top of the opponents head.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
If Dair acted like Lucas' did, it'd be a universally better move.

That's what I think they should do with it, at least. Maybe decrease it's damage but make it like Lucas' and send foes downward on the last hit. It is a stomp, after all...

That move doesn't get much love as it is. ****, not even Lucas uses his dair much, just to gimp or some weird crossup. Maybe if they changed Pac's dair to that it'd be too broken or something? I dunno.

Last edited:

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
If Dair acted like Lucas' did, it'd be a universally better move.

That's what I think they should do with it, at least. Maybe decrease it's damage but make it like Lucas' and send foes downward on the last hit. It is a stomp, after all...

That move doesn't get much love as it is. ****, not even Lucas uses his dair much, just to gimp or some weird crossup. Maybe if they changed Pac's dair to that it'd be too broken or something? I dunno.
with its long lasting hit box it might be abit broken for pac, cause you probably wouldn't even need to airdodge read.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
His down b with a sweetspot at his hands would be an imteresting spike... Just as he throws down the hydrant, you get carried underneath it and slammed downward.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I guess his D-Air could be a mini spike (I'm not sure if it is or not), but in terms of moves that could spike, the Hydrant could work if it is aimed directly under the opponent.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
D-Air

You cannot post messeges with less than 10 characters unless you really make Pac-Man's down air a spike

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Change dair to that ball bounce and make it work like Wario's PM dair

And make it knock luma into tumble so I won't miss the old dair at all :p

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Is Wario's PM dair like Toon Link', Game & Watch's, etc Dair; cause I don't like those.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel d-air would be the most suitable, though I don't think him not having one is a big deal. People say giving Pac a spike would be broken... How come?

xzx

Smash Lord
His Dair should definitely be a spike/meteor smash... Come on, like, really, he freaking stomps on you...

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Quite frankly i think either the meteor trampoline or fire hydrant are the only ones that make sense, without changing his moveset entirely. Tbh i never understood why when you edgeguard with the hydrant it knocks them UP for some reason. I'd say thats the more likely of the two because the trampoline thing could be way too easy to pull off and potentially make him broken except against a select few characters that can jump around it anyway.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
What if instead of a spike, dropping the hydrant squarely on top of someone broke shields?

-Nebula-

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think the Strawberry would be perfect as a soft spike, since it's somewhat difficult to hit offstage and isn't that unique of a fruit as it is.

-Nebula-

Smash Cadet
It travels very far when thrown at a high altitude and covers the SH approach
Orange is almost always a better option than Strawberry as it is. The only real use I've found for it is hitting opponents that are recovering somewhat low, but far enough away from the ledge where a hydrant or stage spike aren't easy options. Having it spike the same amount as Little Mac's down air would be way more useful, I think.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Orange is almost always a better option than Strawberry as it is. The only real use I've found for it is hitting opponents that are recovering somewhat low, but far enough away from the ledge where a hydrant or stage spike aren't easy options. Having it spike the same amount as Little Mac's down air would be way more useful, I think.
I find it also a good thing to throw when trying to come back on. The opponent shouldn't get hit by it but it's a good distraction.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The strawberry bounces for a long time so you can throw it up and use it as a wall of sorts. You can even put it in front of the hydrant and push it at the opponent as a way to cover you during your approach.

Last edited:

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Introduce a Lemon Bonus Fruit.
It doesn't really damage when thrown. It's actually anti-catch item tech. Catch it in mid-air, you get sour stunned. (Could be like bell's hit stun but they still move about and are just soft locked.) Or make it spike bait. But imagine if they caught it off the edge and just was forced to fall more frames than usual haha. Pac isn't a combo player anyway, he's trap/tech/and space, I kept playing him wrong when I went for heavy combo's.

Pac man is to punishable to be OP. I have been playing this guy since the game came out. I got a lot better than I was, but I can't keep up or stay in the kitchen.\

For the hell of it, I would love to see Pac mans hydrant Up-spurt the moment you summon one in the air. Air battles commence!
Yeah I've got a whole different spin on how I think pac should be, I know it is unpopular view too. I'm the type the would swap side-b with up-b so that you don't bounce on the trampoline everytime you use it. Having the pellet being summoned from up b would neat too, since you could chase people to Out-of-Bounds near the top of the screen better, and still have the stage spike potential.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Introduce a Lemon Bonus Fruit.
It doesn't really damage when thrown. It's actually anti-catch item tech. Catch it in mid-air, you get sour stunned. (Could be like bell's hit stun but they still move about and are just soft locked.) Or make it spike bait. But imagine if they caught it off the edge and just was forced to fall more frames than usual haha. Pac isn't a combo player anyway, he's trap/tech/and space, I kept playing him wrong when I went for heavy combo's.

Pac man is to punishable to be OP. I have been playing this guy since the game came out. I got a lot better than I was, but I can't keep up or stay in the kitchen.\

For the hell of it, I would love to see Pac mans hydrant Up-spurt the moment you summon one in the air. Air battles commence!
Yeah I've got a whole different spin on how I think pac should be, I know it is unpopular view too. I'm the type the would swap side-b with up-b so that you don't bounce on the trampoline everytime you use it. Having the pellet being summoned from up b would neat too, since you could chase people to Out-of-Bounds near the top of the screen better, and still have the stage spike potential.
Yeah but then you can't block Projectiles.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Yeah but then you can't block Projectiles.
I have thought about that. Actually you can't block them as heavy as he would already would. Cherry is already good at blocking and so is hydrant. Pellet Shielding is challenging because if you don't block you end up chomping away and are likely to get punished during or after the Action.

I was making comparisons of Shiek and Z.s.s. to Pac, and I probably shouldn't have. It kept me wondering about the actual move-set of Pac-man and/or how (i.m.o) it leaves him open a lot. I get that Pac isn't the combo type and rather the counter/trick type but I don't see why the tricky type have to be as open if not more than the veteran characters. I know we don't want Pac to be overpowered, but I think we all like what he brings to the table, and his advantages should not be nerfed just because they are new and no one knows how to match-up against it. .... [I am venting hardcore. :c O.k back to the subject of thread slightly.]

As for spiking options, I like a lot of the suggestions here. I think I am in favor with the hydrant spiking, but I would give up hydrant launching for that. I mean, if we are messing with power, think about Villagers Tree. It doesn't spike but almost always guarantee's a k.o. There are a lot of moves in the cast of the game that have Power Shots. I think Pac-Man's Hydrant should be a Power Shot. It has plenty/appropriate reload time, can be reflected, and isn't always available if another is on the field. Having a Hydrant that doesn't launch but has Meteor striking just might the 'icing on the cake'. Plus, if it isn't launchable, you could give it slightly more defense to cover those pesky projectiles you can't reflect or absorb.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Hydrant already is a powershot. Although it takes a while for it to kill.

Pellet healing is more effective than spamming cherries because your opponent would care a lot more if you healed off their spam. Plus cherry seems to lose out in spamability to me. It seems to take more time between hits with cherry than any other projectile.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Hydrant already is a powershot. Although it takes a while for it to kill.

Pellet healing is more effective than spamming cherries because your opponent would care a lot more if you healed off their spam. Plus cherry seems to lose out in spamability to me. It seems to take more time between hits with cherry than any other projectile.
I guess we both know that it takes a while to get the opponent k.o'd
Do you think the hydrant should have a launching angle adjustment to compensate for k.o adjustment or what?
Personally I don't know what is best for the tuning, but I kinda lean on soft spiking, and maybe some ground hitstun if landing on an opponent from above over land. Soft spiking, because the Ganon in. If not spiking, more hit stun because Pac-man is lacking some moves that really keep the opponent from tapping A immediately after some attack. I have even thought about the hydrant just spurting everytime it gets hit, and in the direction of being hit. Fruit would benefit that last second frames of activity being blown in every which way. I love naturally landing a fruit on the hydrant at the same time as a spurt because it looks awesome!

Pellet healing is very good at blocking the spam, but I've noticed that it can disrupt you side-b action sometimes when you want to perform it. Have you ever had any glitches with side-b yet?
Also once you hit side-b, you have to commit to the start-up/cool down frames and distance if you miss the spam or your opponent decides to 'slip-time' you.

Ha ha, yeah. Cherry does lose it's spammability. It gets tiring just throwing it over and over too. To bad Pac-Man can't like change is charging fruit position so it could shield better while he decides or something haha. Can you imagine, B+R= Pac just 'holding' a fruit and not throwing it, but it acts a bit shieldy and he can just walk slowly a direction with it in front of him haha. Then everytime the fruit takes a hit, it 'charges'. XD

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Pellet healing is very good at blocking the spam, but I've noticed that it can disrupt you side-b action sometimes when you want to perform it. Have you ever had any glitches with side-b yet?
Also once you hit side-b, you have to commit to the start-up/cool down frames and distance if you miss the spam or your opponent decides to 'slip-time' you.
The only glitches I've encountered are that Super Pellet Slide and that Glitched Pellet where you fail to spawn the hydrant then immediately side b. But I've purposely done those so it's not a surprise when it happens.

Top Bottom