• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Melee HD was a thing, should/would their be re balancing.

Massive

Smash Champion
SD Remix is a thing.

Even if they may release a Melee HD (which is unlikely, undoubtedly) SDR will inevitably do it better. For some reason, the official developers suck at balancing Mighty Glaciers, while fans do a better job (often by changing relatively little).

Oh, and you can even install HQ textures over SD Remix if you want to.
If Nintendo released an HD version of melee, I can guarantee you it will do better than SD remix.

It may actually kill SD remix because nobody will use the hardware it runs on anymore.

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
1 side would probably end up bigger than the other after a year or 2. Eventually, the smaller side would join with the bigger one. This idea has happened before with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
I think that kind of end result would be a good thing. If Nintendo did a good job balancing and people gave it a chance I do hope the community can just decide on a version if there were any. If they were to put work on balancing though, I'd rather it be on their newer game than this.

Personally I'd probably go with untouched version but that's just my preference at the moment. I like the idea of just a graphic update and being able to play on newer hardware and monitors (though I use a capture card to hook my Wii up to a gaming monitor). Oh and possibly netplay!

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Nintendo released an HD version of melee, I can guarantee you it will do better than SD remix.

It may actually kill SD remix because nobody will use the hardware it runs on anymore.
In sales maybe, but SDR will be more balanced.

Massive

Smash Champion
In sales maybe, but SDR will be more balanced.
In sales definitely, because SDR isn't a purchasable thing.

SDR's balance is irrelevant unless adoption explodes, and if an HD version of melee was released on the wiiU it would be pretty difficult to modify to play SD remix.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Late to the thread here, but If there's going to be a melee HD, there should be almost no modifications to the gameplay IMO.

The only addition I think they should add is the ability to use C-Stick in 1-player mode (seriously, that would make 1P mode loads better)

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
If Melee HD does ever happen, there should be an option the moment you boot up the game which allows you to pick between the NTSC or PAL60 version. I know many will argue that the PAL version is more balanced but as a Marth main myself, I'll be disappointed if we're no longer able to pull off true Ken combos.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Add tap jump option, please.

Last edited:

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
The main reason people want Melee HD is accessibility. No more searching for a $60+ disc and old CRT. Maybe c-stick actually working in single player modes, that's it.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
As others have noted, if they do release Melee HD, I would prefer if they let you have an option between NTSC or PAL. I feel like if Nintendo tried to rebalance Melee, it wouldn't be Melee anymore.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The main reason people want Melee HD is accessibility. No more searching for a $60+ disc and old CRT.
Anything but a CRT would still have lag, so a majority of the people who are in the competitive scene would still rather play on their CRTs. That being said, I'm sure the other 99% would very much appreciate the native HD. Unfortunately, a new Wii U game costs $60, so they would be forking out the same amount of money for the new version as opposed to the old version.

Last edited:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Anything but a CRT would still have lag, so a majority of the people who are in the competitive scene would still rather play on their CRTs. That being said, I'm sure the other 99% would very much appreciate the native HD. Unfortunately, a new Wii U game costs $60, so they would be forking out the same amount of money for the new version as opposed to the old version.
To be fair, I play on a gaming monitor and those things have come a long way. I really don't feel or see any lag (currently on a 2ms monitor but there are better). If there was any lag on these gaming monitors, I assure you, they are less than 1 frame in-game of response time. If that's still too much for the community then I don't know what will make you guys happy... many competitive games are fine with gaming monitors.

HD TV's however, can go to hell :]

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
To be fair, I play on a gaming monitor and those things have come a long way. I really don't feel or see any lag (currently on a 2ms monitor but there are better). If there was any lag on these gaming monitors, I assure you, they are less than 1 frame in-game of response time. If that's still too much for the community then I don't know what will make you guys happy... many competitive games are fine with gaming monitors.

Yeah, I've never bothered with researching gaming monitors because I've been gaming on my family's CRT since I was born (my parents got it in 1989; it was our normal TV until 2007) and have never had space issues because I'm still a Junior in high school. It's good for future reference in case I need to conserve space for my college dorm though; thanks for letting me know the response time has gotten so much better!

Massive

Smash Champion
The scene will need to transition to HD monitors at some point (probably very soon!) to stay viable.
We are already seriously pushing the lifespans of CRTs and they're starting to become scarce in a lot of places. When they all start reaching their maximum lifespans you'll begin to see the price of them go up and this hobby will go from relatively cheap to expensive really quickly.

The HD monitor adapters actually work really well as far as input delay goes, but they are not a viable long term solution either, as copies of melee and wiis slowly become more scarce in the coming years.

If we had a digital download, HD-compatible release of melee, we could keep playing on the current modern hardware for easily another decade.

Response time isn't lag. It's how long it takes a pixel to change from black to white to black. Lag is how long the delay is before it starts changing the screen's image. What exact monitor did you use?

I tried playing Melee on an EVO monitor a few times before and at 1 tournament, VGBC tried using one on the main setup for a weekly event. All of the top placing players felt lag. It's there, but it doesn't make the game unplayable

The EVO monitor lags by 8.3 ms on game mode (.5 frames), but there are better gaming monitors being used by other leagues. Smash doesn't work well on them because timings for half of everything change all the time. Things are constantly being reacted to. Fighting games can tolerate it much better since timings are static. The effect is still there, just less significant

Massive

Smash Champion
The EVO monitor lags by 8.3 ms on game mode (.5 frames), but there are better gaming monitors being used by other leagues. Smash doesn't work well on them because timings for half of everything change all the time. Things are constantly being reacted to. Fighting games can tolerate it much better since timings are static. The effect is still there, just less significant
Did you ever read fizzi's writeup on this for MiOM? The numbers for the EVO monitor actually came out at around 3ms of input latency for that monitor (in the best case).

He actually did the footwork on the display lag database's numbers, and found that CRTs will all have a minimum of 8.3ms of input latency based on the draw rate metric they use to measure lag.

This means that a monitor listed at 11ms on displaylag.com (e.g. ASUS VE247H) would only incur an additional 3ms of lag compared to a "lagless" CRT in a native HD situation. Unfortunately, the monitor adapters commonly used do add some small, unavoidable lag (<1ms - 2ms) which means this hypothetical setup may incur, at most, 5ms of input lag. That's still not even a third of a frame.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
It depends really. I honestly think it's more likely that we get an HD port with upscaled textures and maybe some bug fixes as opposed to a full on revamp a la Windwaker. Assuming I'm right and we only get a port, I don't think we'll see any balance changes. However, I personally think if we do get a full fledged revamp of the game that we'll get a rebalance with it. And if we don't get a full on rebalance, then we'll definitely be getting the PAL version, and not the NTSC one. It'd obviously be really great of Nintendo to give us a way to switch between the two, but I really don't see that happening.

And on the topic of a potential Melee HD, what do you guys think as far as what can and cannot be changed as far as other things go? At what point do we draw the line in the way of alterations? What if they used brand new models for everyone? What if they reworked the entire game's aesthetic to match up with Sm4sh's style? What if they decided to ditch the older character designs they used in Melee in favor of ones reflecting each character's most recent appearance? What if they gave Fox his Sm4sh voice actor instead of the original Melee voice? What if they did that to every character? Will there be cries of sacrilege because this isn't 1:1 the game that we all love? I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but this is a very slippery slope, people. I want to be able to play the game that brought us all together in glorious 1080p 60fps just like all of you do, but are we as a community ready to unanimously accept any and all changes in the transition from the original to a revamp?

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
If Nintendo does release Melee HD and it ends up being the PAL version, would it still be possible for someone to create a "Project M"-style mod that would allow us all to play the NTSC version of the game?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Macattack102

Smash Rookie
just buff low tiers and dont mess with high tiers. that way nobody complains and people who dont wanna just have the top 5 of tier list as there main can be more viable. probly shouldnt mess with top or high tier. just medium and low tiers...

Link, Young Link, Samus, and DK could use some frames to be shaved off of preanimation lag. thats my 2 cents. basically just speed buffs. thats IMO the biggest reason why the top tiers are the top tiers. they are generally the fastest... possibly add slightly bigger hitboxes to Pika, Pichu,Young Link and definetly Kirby as well on top of the speed changes since they are so small compared to characters like shiek or Marth (definetly marth with his all encompassing range of his sword.)

Nessafile

Smash Apprentice
if you do that it doesn't really make it melee anymore, same way PM isn't brawl or how SDR isn't Melee, and I agree with the point that nintendo would probably make it more like smash 4 anyway. l0l

FruitNukes

Smash Rookie
As others have previously mentioned, if Melee was altered in the transition, it might really lose that quality that makes it Melee. I would like an HD remake, however.

Top Bottom