• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I were to try and use Olimar at the Gamestop Tournament...

Gary

Smash Apprentice
What are the basics I need to know if I haven't even touched Brawl yet? I know he's an "advanced character" but I want to main him and he looks really good.

Basically, from watching videos and reading Echo's guide I know that:
his smashes and fair are good for killing
his uair is good for damage and killing
white pikmin are the best to throw
I should throw pikmin a lot because they don't suffer diminished damage
Whistle has super armor at the beginning
His grab has an awesome range and very little lag.

Anything else I should know? And how long does it take to get a baseline feel for him? Or should I stick with Dedede for the tourney?

I havent played personalyl but if you wouldnt be at that great a loss, use DeDeDe; he's heavy and has very good recovery. Olimar definetly willt ake time to master so using himmwould be risky. DeDeDe is a better choice. Check otu some Vids if you wanna get sone techniques down for Olimar if you do decide to use him.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
There was a Nintendo-sponsored event last night in San Francisco, 256 people was the limit. To keep it short I had low hopes since I never played Brawl nor have I used a classic controller, so I just decided to fool around.

I picked P&Oli and won 2/8 rounds. And let me tell you, other than being accustomed to your controller of choice, all you need you can find in this thread. More specifically, youtube user Infil's P&O character demo and this board's very own Echo who has a FAQ and good pro videos. Just learn from them.

Personally it took me about two minutes to get into the "rhythm" of things. At first I was pretty disoriented but each time I played him it got easier to start doing combos or attack chains.

Honestly, if you plan on SERIOUSLY competing, I wouldn't pick P&O, he takes some getting used to and is NOTHING like any character I've played before. It's so weird when you're trying to literally manage 6 pets in the middle of a chaotic 1vs1 match. I loved it though, I can't wait to start kicking *** with him.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Well, I'm going to have Smash all that day to practice up on Olimar since my brother works at Blockbuster and can get me a copy a bit early. Even if I don't do well, which is really 50-50 right now because of the rediculous rules---seriously could they have chosen worse rules for a tourney?--- I would still have fun playing him and it would be good practice.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Like people have said, Olimar is going to take some time, but watching experienced Smash players use him, Olimar can be a BEAST. Want to use him and try to win? Go right ahead he can be a good choice.

But if you do want to win, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT JUST SIT THERE THROWING PIKMIN. That's how Olimar players get the absolute S*** kicked out of them.

Good luck at the tourney!

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
If it looks like i am playing someone a complete noob, i feel i have watched enough vids to take them down with olimar.

If not ill go with lucas or dedede due to there KO potential

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Really when it comes down to it, if you're new to the game, or new to Olimar and want to compete, don't do it. No amount of mental or delusional preparation can help you unless you have your desired control of your choice and the actual game to practice with. I think that's what I took most from the tourney. I was so disoriented when playing Olimar. It was fun, but not when my spot in the tourney depended on it. It was hard to concentrate or to organize what I'm going to do next with my opponent coming to attack me. I just lost a Pikmin, do I pluck another one? In what order do I arrange them? My opponent's about to attack who do I hit him with and with what attack? There's alot of things to consider, at least for me, but in the heat of the battle I couldn't do anything other than wing it. But ofcourse that'll change when I get some time to practice.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
yea im just gonna use my melee main pikachu. good thing he is a starter b/c you can't use secrets in the gamestop tourny

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Go with ZS samus, easy character to pick up and her f-b is easy kill, as well as stun gun. Feels like shiek in melee, you can combo without knowing how, and accidentally kill people sometime.

-or-

Zelda, Her projectiles now are so f'ing amazing its dumb. You dont even need to hit your opponents directly and you can juggle them to death if you land all of them. Still has the same power from melee with her magic kick too. And if things get sticky mid match, switch to shiek and change up gameplay.

Stay away from oli as a first timer though... too much to learn in a short period, you will get destroyed stepping in there and not knowing his range, hitboxes, or what moves to use for kills. Also different colored piks take some time to get used to.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I wouldn't because it seems he takes some practice to get used to (and he's really light, easy kill.)

Since they don't have Luigi I'll probably use my other Melee main, Fox.

Unless I can get some practice in with Diddy.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't suggest using Oli. If you've never played before it would be best to pick your main from melee :) that's what I would do.

Lenvil

Smash Cadet
If it looks like i am playing someone a complete noob, i feel i have watched enough vids to take them down with olimar.

If not ill go with lucas or dedede due to there KO potential
i hate noobs that think they're good. once you take off items they're screwed.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Videos are not enough. The whole mechanics of the game have changed. It's definitely going to feel awkward and you have to watch out for those **** items getting in the way.

Top Bottom